Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 12:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

To me, brutal heat is like Phoenix\ Palm Springs\ Las Vegas when even at midnight it is 100F. But swimming in a pool at night is great. During the day it is really too uncomfortable to do much outside. And this kind of weather lasts for many months. Strangely, some people [esp Europeans] go to Death
Valley & run marathons

I guess brutal cold would mean not being able to go outside day or night for longer than a few minutes esp if it is snowing. What can one do outside in those conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
No, that is precisely what I've been saying throughout this thread. I'm not saying you're wrong, but its all relative to where you grew up or where you're living.

If you lived in a cold climate--and I am referring to one of the northern states, not an area like Kansas or Missouri, etc. you'll see what I'm saying.

I'm sure someone from CA, TX or FL would have a list that they could create that would be 30 or 40 items long, and someone from MI, MN, ND or WY would also have a list of 30 or 40 items long, but remember not all, but most of what you can do when it is warm outside, as long as things aren't entirely frozen over, you can do them in the winter time too.

When you live in an area long enough, you'll discover things to do to compensate for the weather; regardless of it being very hot or very cold.

The notion that those in the southern or warmer states think that those in the northern or colder states of being stuck in their home all day waiting for the temp to raise above freezing is simply not true. People find ways to have a life--it might not be what others would consider "fun", but they'll find something to stay active and have something in common with others.

The only direct negative I could think of with dealing with the wintertime besides white-out conditions if there is a blizzard, are the complications it can create for the elderly.

Arthritis is made much worse by the cold, and the elderly slipping and breaking bones on slippery sidewalks are a hazard, but at the same time, they are also pulled out of scorching hot buildings dead because the heat wave knocked their power out ( though rare I must say, but it does happen ) but arthritis would be inevitably worse. If someone has arthritis, living in a cold location is one of the worst things they can do as it'll only make it worse.
heat has never caused a power outage in my life of living in FL, cold snaps have caused outages here though, and I'm only talking 30 and 20 degree weather which is not that cold compared to up north lol. I guess FL's power supply is just used to the heat. but I still see what your saying, and I agree 100%. Its all personal preference. Ones not better than the other.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Brutal winters, because us teachers get snow days off (like today)

Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default I was born and raised in Manhattan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
heat has never caused a power outage in my life of living in FL, cold snaps have caused outages here though, and I'm only talking 30 and 20 degree weather which is not that cold compared to up north lol. I guess FL's power supply is just used to the heat. but I still see what your saying, and I agree 100%. Its all personal preference. Ones not better than the other.
Other than the blackout of 1965, which hit the entire NE, I never experienced any power outages from snowstorms. Why? Because all the power lines are UNDERGROUND.

So far, I gotten THREE days off for HURRICANES in Florida. lol Your tax dollars at work.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Brutal winters, because us teachers get snow days off (like today)
You'd get more days off somewhere milder, if they get a coating its chaos and a state of emergency.

Brutal Winters are worse, where I live doesn't even have brutal Winters by U.S. standards and its beyond what I can take, brutal Summers are better for me because I'm actually comfortable in the heat, I'm not saying I'd love to spend a whole day outside when its over 100 degrees but I spend no time outside when its Winter, I'd take 80's-100's over 20's-50's anyday.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:40 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Other than the blackout of 1965, which hit the entire NE, I never experienced any power outages from snowstorms. Why? Because all the power lines are UNDERGROUND.

So far, I gotten THREE days off for HURRICANES in Florida. lol Your tax dollars at work.
And in the last 2 years NYC has had what?, 4 snow days. Their tax dollars at work. Other areas have had more.

I guess if it was all about NYC then these 700,000 other people wouldn't need to worry

Quote:
More than one million homes and businesses across the Northeastern United States had suffered blackouts in the past day and about 700,000 were still without power on Friday.
Heavy winter storms wreak havoc in Northeast - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100226/ts_nm/us_usa_weather - broken link)

Old 02-26-2010, 03:43 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Winters are worse, cold hurts while hot is just uncomfortable. I'd actually take a Memphis summer over a Memphis winter. Winters are too dead here.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default At least they have HAD snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And in the last 2 years NYC has had what?, 4 snow days. Their tax dollars at work. Other areas have had more.

I guess if it was all about NYC then these 700,000 other people wouldn't need to worry

Heavy winter storms wreak havoc in Northeast - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100226/ts_nm/us_usa_weather - broken link)
Did we have a hurricane this year?????? Anyway, my younger daughter lives in Nassau. She got half what the city got. My older daughter in Suffolk got all RAIN. They actually said they had a lot of FLOODING out there. Does it flood in FLORIDA??????

BTW, I had 3 hurricane days off LAST YEAR too. Brutal hurricane last year too.

Fact still remains, I got 3 days off in Florida for NOTHING. Most people on those days probably went to the BEACH.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:04 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
At least they have HAD snow. Did we have a hurricane this year?????? Anyway, my younger daughter lives in Nassau. She got half what the city got. My older daughter in Suffolk got all RAIN. They actually said they had a lot of FLOODING out there. Does it flood in FLORIDA??????

BTW, I had 3 hurricane days off LAST YEAR too. Brutal hurricane last year too.

Fact still remains, I got 3 days off in Florida for NOTHING. Most people on those days probably went to the BEACH. rolleyes
You can roll your eyes as much as you want but that does not change the fact that areas with brutal winters have issues just as places with brutal summers do.

To act as if your daughters area is indicative of areas that have brutal winters all the time when you yourself have said that the NYC area does not have brutal winters really does nothing to bolster your argument.

In addition, by stating that some people probably went to the beach weakens your claims more. If those were brutal days would people be out enjoying them?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Weather is relative to the comfort of the person. I don't think NYC or Florida have brutal cold or heat but that doesn't make those areas comfortable either. To a Californian, the current snowstorm in New York would be considered brutal [also to people living in Florida]. Extreme mugginess common to Florida during summer would be considered brutal in California but not in New York since they also have high humidity during summer. But brutal heat in my opinion is limited to the desert Southwest. Brutal cold is probably limited to the Midwest\ Great Lakes & mountains areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.