U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:12 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,237,870 times

Advertisements

Here in Rapid City we get the worst of both. 110 degree highs in summer and -20 in the winter. At least it's not humid here. Sioux Falls is much worse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM

334 posts, read 1,334,842 times
I know very hot humid weather can be bad, but at least you see the sun! I don't think I have seen the sun in about a month here, kinda sucks...

Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 PM

10,756 posts, read 34,355,607 times
I got tired of both and now live in Florida. The summers are milder then what I lived with in Texas by a long shot. Its been in the 70s everyday recently, up to 80 at times and thats what I love about winter now.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 PM

61,284 posts, read 84,071,970 times
brutal winters are worse.
but hot weather has its trials.
truckin the 6 blocks to star bucks in shorts, extra suntan oil.
brutal brutal
life's tough, a lota stress, a lot of tension
(some friction)
nobody said it'd be easy breezy.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,237,870 times
At least you can always bundle up for the cold. You can only dress down so far in the heat before it's a crime!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,876,416 times
I'll take the cold too. I live in WI and I walk outside everyday in winter. BUt I hate the hot humid summer air.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:08 PM

463 posts, read 606,584 times
Depends on the summers and winters. I would prefer summer to winter if say summer was like a Las Vegas Dry heat versus snow and cold. Than again id take a rainy Seattle winter over a humid DC summer.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 PM

10,756 posts, read 34,355,607 times
The last summer I lived in Texas, there was no rain for months at a time and it was 100 degrees every day and it wouldn't get below 90 at night.

I had to get up when the sun came up literally to mow the lawn with the riding mower with the headlights on to avoid overheating.

It was horrible. Given the fact that most AC units can only cool it 20 degrees below the temperature outside, thats only 80 degrees inside, thats NOT cool enough for me frankly.

If I did lawnwork outside during the day, I would get overheated, I would strip off in the backyard and stand under the hose, I would stand there until holding the hose on me no longer felt cold. That was about the only thing that would bring my temp back down. I took it a couple times and it was 102 after being outside doing lawnwork.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM

225 posts, read 936,596 times
During a hot summer, the mornings and evenings cool down and the weather improves. During a cold winter, the mornings and evenings cool down and the weather worsens. Someone might argue that the weather improves during the day in the winter. But most of us work indoors during the day. We experience the outdoors when we arrive home from work or drive to work in the morning.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 PM

225 posts, read 936,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I think alot more people die from overexhaustion and heat stroke than collapsed roofs in Buffalo. (I have never heard of collapesed roofs in Minneapolis, which is even colder)
Most traffic accidents in heavy snow are spin-outs where SUVs end up in the ditch.
Snow chains are illegal in most places except for the interior West.
You should probably experience a northern winter before you comment on one.
Do you know for a fact that most traffic accidents in heavy snow result in harmless spin outs and ditches? What about ice and sleet? When you consider the number of automobiles on the road and the incidence of death due to automobile accidents versus death due to heat stroke, I would really have to question your sources of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.