U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 05:58 AM

1,929 posts, read 4,997,343 times

Advertisements

For me, brutal summers are much worse, especially if intense heat is combined with high humidity. That's why I'm headed for North Dakota in the next couple of years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM

9,803 posts, read 15,355,967 times
the southwest in the summer could qualify as an--extreme
Chicago in winter would not be considered an ---extreme

Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,316,692 times
this sounds like the cleveland/cincinnati weather decision.

do you want to deal with blizzards and bitter cold in cleveland, but enjoy not so humid summers

or do you want to deal with stifling humidity and oppressive heat in cincinnati, but enjoy milder ohio winters

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM

9,887 posts, read 21,052,727 times
visit phoenix in summer & minn or wyoming or montana in winter & decide for yourself.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 36,536,168 times
I've found that brutal summer heat here in Texas usually isn't brutal early in the day or after sunset. If your work doesn't require you to be outside, you just plan to stay inside where there's A/C during the hottest parts of the day.

When I lived in Wisconsin, I found that brutal winter cold was miserably cold all day long. There was really no respite from it outdoors, as it stayed that way for weeks on end as long as there was snow cover.

I'm not elderly, but IMO, the place with brutal summers wins hands down. A lot of elderly folks spend their summers up north and their winters down south in order to get the best of both worlds.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,859,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The last summer I lived in Texas, there was no rain for months at a time and it was 100 degrees every day and it wouldn't get below 90 at night.
You should be more specific about your location in Texas because the climate varies from region to region in Texas. No place in Florida offers you the dry heat of West Texas. I'd guess you were in Northern or Central Texas.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 PM

7,412 posts, read 9,718,183 times
I say brutal summer is best since you can go outside at night time. In-fact summer evenings are really pleasant in LA.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 AM

6,970 posts, read 18,389,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I say brutal summer is best since you can go outside at night time. In-fact summer evenings are really pleasant in LA.
Perhaps pleasant in LA, but a brutal summer night in Phoenix is intolerable for me. I was there last August, at a bar with an outdoor patio. It was midnight and still 95 degrees. I couldn't hang. In Dubai it can be up to 120F in autumn and being outdoors is most unpleasant.

Winters in NJ aren't very extreme, but I enjoy schlepping up to Vermont or Maine for a week of skiing. Hanging in the outdoor hot tub, the air can be as low as -15F, steam is condensing and freezing on your hair, your beer is freezing up. Love it. Day in and day out, it would probably get old after a couple of months, but I get excited about visiting the cold. I don't get excited about visiting deserts during scorch season.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:34 AM

9,887 posts, read 21,052,727 times
The summer nights in so.ca (except the deserts) are nice. The temps are usually in the low 60,s. I was in tucson in the summer yrs back & it was about 90-95 degrees at midnight. It was miserable. The daytime high was about 110 degrees. I work outdoors but im looking for a change (indoor job). Its quite hot here during the summer months but not as bad as az & the nights sure cool down unless its a nasty humid day.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:37 PM

648 posts, read 1,560,610 times
Brutal summers. There is no difference between a 35 degree day and a 10 degree day. Either way, you will not be doing anything outside. But when you talk about heat, 110 degrees vs 80 degrees will make a difference in what you do. What are you going to have a cookout in 100 degrees?

I love the warmth, but there is a point where it is unbearable. The cold though, doesn't matter if it is 20 degrees or 0 degrees... it is the same cold, harsh feeling. I honestly have never been able to tell the difference between 20 degrees and 0 degrees. They have always felt the same to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.