Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:23 PM

538 posts, read 658,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Since moving to the Providence area, I've had to think of suburbs in a different way. In a sense every town in Rhode Island is a suburb of Providence, and in a sense none of them are -- they're all very much standalone places with their own identity. As much as I'd like to take credit for that idea, it's not mine; I read it in a guidebook when I first visited years ago, and I've found that it's pretty accurate.

• Most famous suburb? Warwick. Besides Newport (which I think has a little too much of its own identity to qualify as a Providence suburb, Warwick was the only place in the state I'd heard of before moving here.
• Wealthiest suburb? Jamestown
• Prettiest suburb? Bristol
• Most diverse suburb? Pawtucket
• Suburb with the most attractions, things to do? Warwick, I guess. None of them score too highly.
• Most urban suburb? Pawtucket
• Suburb with strongest economic base? Barrington (not the obvious pick, but it's wealthy, growing, has a decent amount of commerce, and I see very little vacant there)
• Most liberal suburb? Warren
• Most conservative suburb West Greenwich. A local magazine recently named East Greenwich, where I live, the best Rhode Island town for Republicans, but because I'm a liberal, I'm going to pass the buck to West Greenwich, which has a higher percentage of registered Republicans.
You can make a case for Pawtucket as the most famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
People in Annapolis do not claim to be in Baltimore's sphere any more than they claim DC's.
It's the state capital for crying out loud. How in the heck can it be considered a suburb?

Old 02-20-2016, 05:49 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Denver, CO

Most famous suburb? Highlands Ranch
• Wealthiest suburb? Greenwood Village
• Prettiest suburb? Highlands Ranch
• Most diverse suburb? Aurora
• Suburb with the most attractions, things to do? Aurora
• Most urban suburb? Englewood
• Suburb with strongest economic base? Lakewood
• Most liberal suburb? Englewood
• Most conservative suburb? Parker

Old 02-20-2016, 06:42 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
People in Annapolis do not claim to be in Baltimore's sphere any more than they claim DC's.
Like Hell they don't. There's a company in Annapolis that I've visited a few times, and there is only 1 person who claims DC (she lives by the Redskins stadium), everyone else is Baltimore centric. It's not a small company by any means. I've hung out with people from that company on many occasions.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Denver:
• Most famous suburb? Aurora
• Wealthiest suburb? Cherry Hills Village
• Prettiest suburb? Many of them are pretty
• Most diverse suburb? Commerce City
• Suburb with the most attractions, things to do? Depends on what you want to do. Aurora has the MLS stadium, not much else that's not in a standard suburb. Federal Hts has a big water park. Golden and Boulder have college sports.
• Most urban suburb? None are extremely urban. Englewood, the eastern part of Aurora are probably the most urban
• Suburb with strongest economic base? Greenwood Village has the Denver Technological Center, Broomfield has Interlocken Business Park, Lakewood has the Federal Center. All contenders
• Most liberal suburb? Boulder, although some don't consider it really a suburb
• Most conservative suburb? Highlands Ranch or Castle Rock

Old 02-20-2016, 07:11 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Denver:
• Suburb with the most attractions, things to do? Depends on what you want to do. Aurora has the MLS stadium, not much else that's not in a standard suburb. Federal Hts has a big water park. Golden and Boulder have college sports.
• Most urban suburb? None are extremely urban. Englewood, the eastern part of Aurora are probably the most urban
• Suburb with strongest economic base? Greenwood Village has the Denver Technological Center, Broomfield has Interlocken Business Park, Lakewood has the Federal Center. All contenders
I would think outside of Colorado, Boulder probably has more notoriety and is probably more known as Denver's "famous suburb" over Aurora. Boulder sort of has a brand to it, where Aurora, not so much.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Denver, CO

Most famous suburb? Highlands Ranch
Never heard of it.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Denver:
Parker is almost like a commuter suburb, nice bedroom community, but not as urban like Lakewood or Wheat Ridge. I think the south Denver suburbs are nicer, more bedroom community than the north Denver suburbs (Thornton, Northglenn, Brighton, Broomfield) which are more working class and middle class.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Never heard of it.
Most people outside of Colorado wouldn't. Highlands Ranch is a cookie cutter tract home burb that was built out in the 90's that you've probably seen similar reproduced types of neighborhoods like it in about 20 or so other states. It happens to be in a wealthy county, so it's special in the minds of some I suppose.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Dallas
-Plano (famous)
-Plano (wealthiest)
-Cedar Hill or Rowlett (prettiest)
-Cedar Hill or Mesquite (diverse)
-Addison (attractions)
-Irving (Most urban)
-Plano (Economic base)
-Irving (liberal)
-Allen (conservative)

Fort Worth
-Arlington (famous)
-Westlake (wealthiest)
-Arlington (prettiest)
-Arlington (diverse)
-Arlington (attractions)
-Arlington (urban)
-Southlake (economic base)
-Arlington (most liberal)
-Burleson (most conservative)

DFW metro
-Arlington (famous)
-Westlake,Southlake (wealthiest)
-Cedar Hill (prettiest)
-Arlington (diverse)
- Arlington (attractions)
- Irving (most urban)
- Grapevine (economic base)
- Irving (liberal)
- Flower Mound (conservative)
no way. Over the Park Cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.