Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The difference is that "have a blessed day" isn't associated with any specific religion whatsoever. In parts of the South in particular, it's just more of a cultural phrase as opposed to a religious phrase--much like the phrase "Oh my God" or "God d#$% it" is everywhere.
It doesn't have to be associated with a "specific religion" to be religious.

I lived in TN for 5 years, and I honestly don't remember anyone ever telling me to have a blessed day. I don't think anyone ever said that to me until I moved here, honestly, in far north California of all places.

It's a very Republican county. Is it a Republican thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
I've heard it all over the place, it is not a Bible Belt or Southern thing.

It is well intentioned and totally innocuous by the people saying it. To those that are insulted, get over your damn selves and bring it down a notch or two. Life is too short to obsess over things this trivial.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It doesn't have to be associated with a "specific religion" to be religious.
You compared "May Allah be with you" to a generic "have a blessed day." Sorry but they are not at all the same thing.

Quote:
I lived in TN for 5 years, and I honestly don't remember anyone ever telling me to have a blessed day. I don't think anyone ever said that to me until I moved here, honestly, in far north California of all places.

It's a very Republican county. Is it a Republican thing?
Nope...in parts of the South (don't know about other areas of the country), some of everybody says it, Republican, Democrat, Black, White. It's more cultural than religious in those areas but that's kind of hard for some people to comprehend it seems because they are too busy trying to be offended lol.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:12 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
You must be on that bs if you don't want a blessed day, so just go on with your life and have a miserable, wack day.

There are some supreme stick heads in this country smh.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 7,770 times
No, customer service representatives normally say "have a nice day" or "have a good one". I wouldn't mind at all if someone tells me to "have a blessed day". It sounds like a very nice thing to say to someone.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 AM

626 posts, read 1,241,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I get that all the time here in Dallas. Starbucks, grocery store, courthouse clerk, etc. many of their employees say "Have a Blessed Day" to me instead of "Have a great/nice day." I don't mind it, I was just wondering how common that was elsewhere.

So is it regional?
First time I heard that expression was when I arrived here in South east Alabama (Dothan)...never heard that in South Florida (Miami-Dade) when I visit or even when I was growing up...or any of the places I've been/lived.
I admit, I thought it was kind of strange and a lot of "what if" crossed my mind....as in..."what if the person you're saying that to is an Atheist, Wican or any other denomination"....now a days, I've gotten so used to it and don't even think twice about it every time I hear it.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
To those that are insulted, get over your damn selves and bring it down a notch or two. Life is too short to obsess over things this trivial.
Spoken like a true zen master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You compared "May Allah be with you" to a generic "have a blessed day." Sorry but they are not at all the same thing.

Sure they are. It's a blessing, not a generic "Have a good day." A blessing is religious. You are not offended by "Have a blessed day," because you're okay with that kind of blessing. The fact that you say "May Allah be with you" is a different thing altogether, to me, just goes to show that you would not be okay with every kind of blessing.

Blessings are religious.

So, it doesn't bug you. Fine. It does bug me, and I've said why. We don't have to agree.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,048,123 times
I just say" byeeee"

Old 03-12-2015, 01:09 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,421,534 times
In South Florida, yes.

Makes me want to ask "hey, what about the poor starving folks in XYZ. How come they weren't blessed today."

But I don't because the person probably means well and why start an argument you probably can't win.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sure they are. It's a blessing, not a generic "Have a good day." A blessing is religious. You are not offended by "Have a blessed day," because you're okay with that kind of blessing. The fact that you say "May Allah be with you" is a different thing altogether, to me, just goes to show that you would not be okay with every kind of blessing.

Blessings are religious.

So, it doesn't bug you. Fine. It does bug me, and I've said why. We don't have to agree.
LOL, this is SUCH a stretch. It's no more a 'blessing' than telling someone "Bless you" after you sneeze is. Nobody's giving you last rites by saying "Have a blessed day" as you seem to think.

And I never said anything about not being okay with an "Allah be with you" type of expression. However, that is very religion-specific whereas "Have a blessed day," from a strictly religious perspective (and it's not even religious, although rooted in such), is open to interpretation. Every religion believes in blessings; heck, non-religious people believe in blessings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.