Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:16 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sure they are. It's a blessing, not a generic "Have a good day." A blessing is religious. You are not offended by "Have a blessed day," because you're okay with that kind of blessing. The fact that you say "May Allah be with you" is a different thing altogether, to me, just goes to show that you would not be okay with every kind of blessing.

Blessings are religious.

So, it doesn't bug you. Fine. It does bug me, and I've said why. We don't have to agree.
So the answer is stay at home, order everything online and minimize any potential 'religiously offensive' interactions with strangers.

What an absolutely pathetic thing to be offended by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
So the answer is stay at home, order everything online and minimize any potential 'religiously offensive' interactions with strangers.

What an absolutely pathetic thing to be offended by.
Nope. The fact that this thread was started, shows that it is not commonplace to be told, by a store clerk to have a blessed day.

What is interesting, is that the people who have so vehemently said that being told to have a blessed day should not be anything to take offense to - have taken an enormous offense to the fact that I don't want someone to tell me to have a blessed day.

To the point of telling me my dislike of this is pathetic and that I should hide away in my apartment, if I don't want anyone saying it to me. With no consideration, whatsoever, that hey, maybe some people do find that offensive, so maybe I should consider not saying it...

My way or the highway, right?

This is the type of church-goer who turned me off completely to going to church. Now that's pathetic.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:39 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
I've never heard anyone say "have a blessed day" but if I did I wouldn't be offended because I'm not part of what I call the perpetually or professionally offended group we have in this country - those who find offense and spark outrage in anything and everything.

Someone saying "have a blessed day" is their way of being nice and wishing you luck, good health, and an overall good day. No one should be offended by an act of kindness like that, even if it is forced and out of obligation like that type of greeting is at most businesses. I would be more offended receiving an attitude from an employee or anyone on the street for absolutely no reason at all than I would be hearing this statement - again, that were if I were easily offended.

FWIW BTW I am Catholic but not overly religious, I barely even go to church so this isn't coming from a deeply religious person. I just tend to not care about things like this.

Do these same people who get offended at "have a blessed day" get offended at those who say "Merry Christmas" even if they're not Christian or religious at all?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM

707 posts, read 749,471 times
I wouldn't get offended, because I know the person means well. I just interpret it as "Have a nice day!". But it is walking a razor's edge.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
What is interesting, is that the people who have so vehemently said that being told to have a blessed day should not be anything to take offense to - have taken an enormous offense to the fact that I don't want someone to tell me to have a blessed day.
i think what you are missing is that a lot of people are trying to tell you is that the religious connection is only what you perceive it as. For many people it's just a nice, generic sort of exchange, no different than 'have a good day'.
I tried to point out earlier that most people don't take being dmned as a religious phrase even though if you don't believe in god there is no actual reason to view it as offensive, it shouldn't mean anything to you. But people take it as offensive because of the meaning behind those words, just like the meaning behind 'have a blessed day' can mean something else too. You are taking it literally when it may not be meant that way at all and getting offended over it seems like an over reaction.
Now if someone says 'may god be with you' that's a different story...

Old 03-13-2015, 12:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Nope. The fact that this thread was started, shows that it is not commonplace to be told, by a store clerk to have a blessed day.

To the point of telling me my dislike of this is pathetic and that I should hide away in my apartment, if I don't want anyone saying it to me. With no consideration, whatsoever, that hey, maybe some people do find that offensive, so maybe I should consider not saying it...

My way or the highway, right?

This is the type of church-goer who turned me off completely to going to church. Now that's pathetic.
Guess again, oh wise one. The last time I was in a church was for a funeral over 10 years ago.

Check the vast numbers of posts in the thread disagreeing with you. You sound like the type that is on a constant, vigilant watch expecting to be offended that also welcomes public confrontation.

Anyone that would be insulted by an innocent and well intentioned term like this has more issues than being 'religiously discriminated' against.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:00 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
I've gotten it here, but mostly when I shop in Black areas.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:39 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
I've never heard this, but wouldn't be offended. There are REAL things in this world to be offended by, and if someone can't just smile and walk away, they need to ramp it down a couple notches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.