Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 AM

68 posts, read 139,376 times

Advertisements

I hear it all the time in NC. Im a native N Carolinian and it's commonly heard on people's answering machines. Usually goes something like "Sorry I'm not able to come to the phone right now but if you would please leave your name and number we will get back to you as soon as we can have a blessed day". But customer service wise, I don't here it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:54 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Where I live it's usually the Mennonites that say it. I can tell Mennonites by the way they dress, so I usually know when to expect it.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
"Heavens" no LOL

Old 11-18-2011, 06:15 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I get that all the time here in Dallas. Starbucks, grocery store, courthouse clerk, etc. many of their employees say "Have a Blessed Day" to me instead of "Have a great/nice day." I don't mind it, I was just wondering how common that was elsewhere.

So is it regional?
I live in Dallas, and have never heard anything like it.

Then again, I don't look like a Christian!

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I've definitely never heard it in Iowa or Chicago. My friend who had a 9 month work stint in Arkansas was telling us everyone would say that and "well bless your heart". She thought it was really funny for a bit, then wanted to tell everyone to shove it.

I'm glad they don't say it up here though. As someone who absolutely hates religion being thrown in people's faces, I don't need even more things to roll my eyes at.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:28 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
No, and when people say this to me, I should accept it was well-wishes, but deep down, I truly tend to think they're a little weird.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've definitely never heard it in Iowa or Chicago. My friend who had a 9 month work stint in Arkansas was telling us everyone would say that and "well bless your heart". She thought it was really funny for a bit, then wanted to tell everyone to shove it.

I'm glad they don't say it up here though. As someone who absolutely hates religion being thrown in people's faces, I don't need even more things to roll my eyes at.
I'm sure people say "bless you" after you sneeze though, right? Do you roll your eyes at that too? The word "bless" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with religion. It certainly doesn't in "bless your heart" I still dont really know what that even means

Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
No. They hardly say "have a nice day" unless they're dealing with tourists. Sneeze and you'll get a "bless you" from everyone in a 3 mile radius.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Definitely never hear that here, but in TN I heard it occasionally. I still wouldn't say it was common there, though. Being non-religious, I certainly noticed it, but it didn't really bother me.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:33 AM

275 posts, read 836,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The meaning "Have a Blessed day" doesn't always have a religious meaning behind it. Most of the time it's simply another way of saying "Have a good day". .
I think a majority of people that use it, do have a religious intention behind it since "bless" is a definitely religious word. They're just trying to spread good will, I know, but it is a bit strange to have someone you don't even know "bless" you. There are plenty of good secular alternatives that do not presume that the listener would want to be "blessed". Saying "bless you" after a sneeze is different because 1) there's no other alternative 2) it has been wide spread all over this country forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.