Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:22 PM

8,952 posts, read 17,202,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
IMNSHO if "legal" pot is a person's #1 reason for moving here he/she is an idiot. The COL is higher than the national average and the "legal" stuff is more expensive than the illegal stuff. The ROI on a move based solely on pot is really low.
Life is full of opportunities that don't make sense to non-risk takers. Not everyone can be Richard Branson or Mark Cuban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:56 PM

18 posts, read 17,726 times
Since I'm in Colorado...

Long: Longmont, Fort Collins
Hold: Denver, Telluride
Short: Boulder, Aspen

Old 03-03-2016, 11:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 5,467,497 times
Zillow's new rankings: January Market Report: Low Inventory Limiting Options For Buyers Nationwide - Zillow Research

Top buyer's markets:
1. Philadelphia
2. Chicago
3. Baltimore
4. Hatford
5. NYC
6. Miami
7. Indianapolis
8. Jacksonville
9. Virginia Beach
10. Orlando

Top Seller's Markets:
1. San Jose
2. San Francisco
3. Denver
4. Seattle
5. Nashville
6. Portland
7. Sacramento
8. Raleigh
9. Salt Lake City
10. San Diego

So hopefully if i were an investor I already had stock in California and I would sit on it because I don't see it stopping soon. Nashville is a sell right now. Would invest in Raleigh/Charlotte. Would invest in the sure bets in FL/TX for quicker returns. I would be trying to eat up properties in the Boston-Washington corridor like Berkshire Hathaway has for the long haul.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-03-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 PM

173 posts, read 197,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Buy St Louis and Baltimore since those cities hit rock bottom and have nowhere to go but up from this point

Sell Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo, since Upstate NY is declining by the year, so there is no hope investing there anymore
Definitely agree about Baltimore, I think it's already on its way up, in part because it's an urban alternative right near Washington.

I think Buffalo is also on its way back though - the state is investing a ton of money in the city, and it already has great urban infrastructure for its size, probably because it was once one of the largest cities in the country. Also, maybe not as important, but it probably doesn't hurt that it's only about 90 minutes from one of the fastest growing large metropolitan areas in all of North America (Toronto).

Other cities that I'd say have a lot of upside are Richmond, Virginia and Worcester, Massachusetts.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,359,810 times
Haha this is a great thread, thinking of cities in terms of stocks. I love it.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,054,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
lol, Denver stopped being a fly over back in the 90's when dozens of tech companies set up campuses out there and Denver opened the newest international airport in the country.
Yeah, Denver is now a layover instead of a flyover.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,579,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Sell: As much as I hate to say it (Miami is my dream city to move to), Florida cities, due to sea level rise. Maybe a short-term buy.

Buy: Pac NW cities --> future climate refuges.
I find it amazing at how many people think Miami is going to drown due to Sea Level rise which will take a couple of centuries if true!

Miami is from sea level to over 40 feet above sea level and cities like New York faces a similar threat or did you not see how Hurricane Sandy flooded lower Manhattan and it's subways?

New Orleans is 8-9 feet under Sea level! so why aren't people freaked out about that city? If Sea levels rise New Orleans will drown way before Miami does!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,314,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I find it amazing at how many people think Miami is going to drown due to Sea Level rise which will take a couple of centuries if true!

Miami is from sea level to over 40 feet above sea level and cities like New York faces a similar threat or did you not see how Hurricane Sandy flooded lower Manhattan and it's subways?

New Orleans is 8-9 feet under Sea level! so why aren't people freaked out about that city? If Sea levels rise New Orleans will drown way before Miami does!
A couple of centuries? Its already happening in miami, Miami's Already Drowning Due to Sea Level Rise

Miami is over 40 foot above sea level???????? where?

In Dade County the average elevation is six feet above sea level. 40 feet above sea level would be a veritable "mountain" in very flat Miami. Dave Barry had a column where he once once set out to climb Miami-Dade’s tallest mountain, and ended up atop a local garbage dump nicknamed Mt. Trashmore.

The problem is not just sea level its the water under miami , underneath miami and alot of south florida is a very porous limestone, which has already filled with water in miami and along the coast the daily high-water mark has been rising almost an inch a year.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:41 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,333,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Miami's top experts on sea level rise see an immense problem with negative consequences (such as in Miami Beach) already at a chronic level and the likelihood of catastrophe by the end of the century.

See post 6 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ea-levels.html

How can Floridians be in such denial and elect politicians, such as Marco Rubio, who deny the existence of man-made climate change and certainly block any proactive attempts such as increased conservation and fossil fuel taxes to deal with the massive threat not only to Florida, but to mankind?

Why don't you turn off Fox News and do some independent research???

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.climatet...ator_Rubio.pdf

South Miami Mayor/scientist Philip Stoddard interviewed by MSNBC's Chris Hayes:

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/he...n-534715971595

I've posted about the threat facing New Orleans. See post 69 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...orleans-7.html

Last edited by WRnative; 03-04-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,095,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yeah, Denver is now a layover instead of a flyover.
I wish it was just a layover. Unfortunately people keep getting off the plane and staying.
We're now the most expensive non coastal city for housing - Not exactly a badge of honor.

The salary you need to afford a home in these 25 cities - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.