Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, we're young 3-member family - me (31), my wife (30) and son (3), middle class, Caucasian, Catholics, from Slovakia, Europe. After winning the green card we're able to follow our dream and move to USA. I have some film-making skills (I'm able to shoot weddings and so), also I'm currently working in IT industry (System administrator), but I have doubts if I can even think about this kind of job level for fresh immigrant, as fat as I know, immigrants are usually hiring for low wage jobs). My question is, which state/city/area would you recommend for us to move in? Also, some good advice's and tips are welcome.
Important: job possibilities, chance to raise our kid good - so safety, schools..., housing prices/cost of living (because I'm not sure about the starting job). | not important: for example weather, distance from coast. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 08:03 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,210,434 times
I'd suggest places in the Midwest, because they meet most of your requirements:

joblessness: very low
family-friendly: check
safety: depends on the city/neighborhood
good schools: depends on the city/neighborhoods
housing prices: among the lowest in the nation (and best bang for your buck)
cost of living: among the lowest in the nation

I know Cleveland and Detroit have moderate Eastern European populations so they may be good places to start. Chicago as well. I'd start there and see what you find.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:13 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,426,576 times
Carolinas or the Virginia area.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,492,838 times
Cleveland has a Slovak presence. Maybe reach out to someone?

First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association

http://www.slovakinstitute.com/

Slovaks in Cleveland | Cleveland Slovaks

Slovakschool

Old 03-04-2016, 10:28 AM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkundrat116 View Post
Hey guys, we're young 3-member family - me (31), my wife (30) and son (3), middle class, Caucasian, Catholics, from Slovakia, Europe. After winning the green card we're able to follow our dream and move to USA. I have some film-making skills (I'm able to shoot weddings and so), also I'm currently working in IT industry (System administrator), but I have doubts if I can even think about this kind of job level for fresh immigrant, as fat as I know, immigrants are usually hiring for low wage jobs). My question is, which state/city/area would you recommend for us to move in? Also, some good advice's and tips are welcome.
Important: job possibilities, chance to raise our kid good - so safety, schools..., housing prices/cost of living (because I'm not sure about the starting job). | not important: for example weather, distance from coast. Thanks.
Do you want city, suburb, semi-rural, rural?
Do you have idea of what you can afford every month re; a rental?
Those are two important questions.
You mention "caucasian" which if fine but is there an implication that you'd rather not be around people who are not white? Or would you like diversity of race, religion, etc.?
And congratulations on winning a green card! That must feel really good.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Do you want city, suburb, semi-rural, rural?
Do you have idea of what you can afford every month re; a rental?
Those are two important questions.
You mention "caucasian" which if fine but is there an implication that you'd rather not be around people who are not white? Or would you like diversity of race, religion, etc.?
And congratulations on winning a green card! That must feel really good.
City or suburb are fine. We don't need the house, we would like to rent a 2 bdrm. apartment.

That's the problem, I have no idea what group we will fit (low skilled immigrants?).
I have a master degree from Mechanical Engineering but I never went this way. I worked for 6 years in IT industry as System administrator. My english not perfect, but we're learning fast. I learned the english I speak now on my 12months work & travel program stay in Texas I took in during my study on University. So does my wife, but in Florida & Texas, same program.
My wife has master degree in Applied Ethics, but she worked in Travel Agency office for 2 years. She also use to do Room attendant in Hotels in Texas and Florida, so we're ready for this option too.

Actually Dallas is currently the most likely option. I like Texas, my wife likes Florida, but on "safe" places is very expensive. The same case is California, it was always our dream, cost of living in safe citties is too high for us / for start.

We have no problem at all with areas with people of another race or religion, as long it is a good, family friendly, safe place.

Thanks! it does

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2020 at 01:06 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,749,005 times
Yes. California (particularly coastal California and i imagine that's the part of California you're dreaming of) is very expensive. Keep your dream alive but maybe to begin, it will be too much.

I lived in the Boston area for quite a few years. There are many suburbs of Boston that are relatively affordable and that are safe and that have good school systems. Boston is a great city. Not too big, many universities and colleges, many excellent hospitals, intelligent and educated population, extremely diverse, older, more deeply rooted and more connected to Europe than many other cities in the U.S.. And there are many Catholics in Boston by the way.
Generally speaking i think it's accurate to say that Massachusetts has a good educational system and of course it varies depending on the town or city. I think it's fair to say that education has always been highly valued in the state of Massachusetts. And you may know that 2 of the most highly regarded institutions of higher learning in the world are in Boston (well, right across the river from Boston in Cambridge which is a city that i like a lot). M.I.T. and Harvard University.

All of New England (i lived in quite a few different parts of New England) is a very good region in the U.S. in my opinion. One of the best .... again, in my opinion.

You and your wife seem to be quite educated / intelligent. I'm going to emphasize the Boston area or other places in New England as i think about this more. And i wouldn't assume that because you and your wife are immigrants you'll only be able to find low wage jobs. Don't assume that. Maybe at first you will have to find a low wage / low skill job because you might need to start working as soon as possible. But it will be your skills and your intelligence and all of your good qualities that will matter when it comes to finding employment. Aim high. And of course, the better your english is the more easy it will be for you.

Because you haven't given a monetary amount regarding what you will be able to afford a month for a rental, it's difficult to recommend a specific community. "Expensive" and "affordable" are relative. What is affordable to me may not be so for you. Or visa-versa.
If you're comfortable sharing that information you'll get better, ie; more specific advice / guidance.

Last edited by blueskywalker; 03-05-2016 at 10:23 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 11:48 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
The northwest side of Chicago.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:51 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,398,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkundrat116 View Post
Actually Dallas is currently the most likely option. I like Texas, my wife likes Florida, but on "safe" places is very expensive. The same case is California, it was always our dream, cost of living in safe citties is too high for us / for start.

We have no problem at all with areas with people of another race or religion, as long it is a good, family friendly, safe place.
Southeast Florida is pretty expensive. But Tampa is pretty cheap. Wages are probably higher in Dallas though.

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2020 at 01:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 AM

93,755 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Pittsburgh may be another area to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.