Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:55 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times

Advertisements

I have never seen them in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:17 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,625,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, and I find them very confusing. Yellow means stop to me. You have a red light and a flashing yellow under it. "Do I stay or do I go?" LOL
They function the same as a left turn yield on green signal. It's a flashing yellow, meaning proceed with caution.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:24 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
They function the same as a left turn yield on green signal. It's a flashing yellow, meaning proceed with caution.
I understand it when the regular light is green but how about when the regular light is red and the yellow light is blinking and cars are going left? It is very confusing. Logically when a yellow light is flashing, cars should be stopping. There is nothing about a yellow light that says go. I think this light will cause accidents.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:25 PM

15,950 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Because people were having trouble with left turn yield on green?! Whuttha? It's not a complicated idea. Sounds like pouring money into a project to fix something that isn't broke.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I understand it when the regular light is green but how about when the regular light is red and the yellow light is blinking and cars are going left? It is very confusing. Logically when a yellow light is flashing, cars should be stopping. There is nothing about a yellow light that says go. I think this light will cause accidents.
Flashing yellow means proceed with caution. Red flashing means stop. The red light is for traffic not turning.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
I'm from NJ. What is this thing you call "left turn?"

Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm from NJ. What is this thing you call "left turn?"
That explains why some drivers mistaken a green arrow for a solid green.

Last edited by Phyxius; 03-07-2016 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 06:51 PM

602 posts, read 499,262 times
The main reason for replacing the "left turn yield on green" signals with "left turn yield on flashing arrow" ones is the issue whenever the straight signals in one direction but not the other change to red (to give a lagging left arrow in the direction that still has straight green) and the left-turning drivers in the direction getting red falsely believe that oncoming traffic is also stopping, creating the possibility of an accident. The flashing arrow, which need not be synced with the straight green, allows for an indicator of a permissive left turn to continue. I believe "yellow trap" is the term for this issue.

Because of that, flashing arrows make the possibility of lagging arrows safer (as opposed to leading arrows that appear before straight traffic gets green) - in some cases that also helps make signal timing and progression more efficient (when previously the only alternative was to have exclusively protected left turns solely for that purpose).

Also, in cases where an exclusively protected left turn was put in because of issues present only at particular times (e.g. a school zone or a railroad crossing), the flashing arrow signal allows for protected-only left turns when the issues are present and allow for both protected and permissive left turns at other times.

So, it's not just an issue of possible driver confusion as is often believed - there are other benefits to the flashing arrow signals.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:53 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Flashing yellow means proceed with caution. Red flashing means stop. The red light is for traffic not turning.
I have never seen a red flashing arrow. If you are headed in the same direction as the other cars you are the traffic and yellow has always meant to stop also up until now.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:09 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,380,465 times
I first heard about these thing when I read an article about a major intersection being installed in the (Light) Industrial Zone in northern Sugar Land. Fort Bend County has been retrofitting some intersections around unincorporated Cinco Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.