Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,723,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Not all of Southern California is expensive.

What's your budget?
You're right. The rent is where SoCal gets you from what I've heard. But OP sounds young... Roommates may be the option. Los Angeles area is quite literally what OP wants to a T. It's the only way OP will get everything they want without a winter and without a "summer" (Phoenix).

Phoenix could be another option if you're up for the heat. Considering most Americans are indoors most of the time anyway, it's not that bad. And you won't get soaked going to your car, the sweat will just evaporate quickly. And there's almost a 20 degree difference between a sunny area and a shady area in the heat here. Shade is key. I love kayaking and Arizona isn't the best location for this, obviously, but the nearby lakes (Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosevelt) are great places to go for this, and the Salt River offers some amazing kayaking even in the center of town by Tempe and in Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona is generally the go to for kayaking, especially the Grand Canyon if you can afford it (it's a few thousand and about a week's time). But lots of places to go, especially in forested Arizona.

Phoenix is amazingly cheap for what you get.

Tucson is also another place but the economy sucks, even cheaper than Phoenix, and better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:34 PM

286 posts, read 292,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
You're right. The rent is where SoCal gets you from what I've heard. But OP sounds young... Roommates may be the option. Los Angeles area is quite literally what OP wants to a T. It's the only way OP will get everything they want without a winter and without a "summer" (Phoenix).

Phoenix could be another option if you're up for the heat. Considering most Americans are indoors most of the time anyway, it's not that bad. And you won't get soaked going to your car, the sweat will just evaporate quickly. And there's almost a 20 degree difference between a sunny area and a shady area in the heat here. Shade is key. I love kayaking and Arizona isn't the best location for this, obviously, but the nearby lakes (Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosevelt) are great places to go for this, and the Salt River offers some amazing kayaking even in the center of town by Tempe and in Northern Arizona. Northern Arizona is generally the go to for kayaking, especially the Grand Canyon if you can afford it (it's a few thousand and about a week's time). But lots of places to go, especially in forested Arizona.

Phoenix is amazingly cheap for what you get.

Tucson is also another place but the economy sucks, even cheaper than Phoenix, and better weather.

thank you for the advice. i know los angeles has everything i want but its just not do able for a few more years. i don't want to live paycheck to paycheck and can't go out or do anything fun just to live in the best city

i have thought of phoenix, i really enjoy the dry heat overtime i go to las vegas, but i feel it would get old quick working outside everyday when its 100+ for weeks on end

Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Not all of Southern California is expensive.

What's your budget?
Well, any part SoCal that's worth living (imo) is going to be expensive.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,723,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
The Southwest comes to mind - potentially a place like Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Scottsdale or Tucson?
Those are 4 very different kind of places in the southwest.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 PM

473 posts, read 516,446 times
I think the OP describes Denver as much as SoCal. The winters are much milder than people think and it's sunny something like 300 days/year. If Denver is out of reach, maybe a smaller city in Colorado? Fort Collins?

Salt Lake City is another good suggestion.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,775,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Well, any part SoCal that's worth living (imo) is going to be expensive.
Understandable, and I agree, but the fact still remains.

OP, wherever you go, it sounds like somewhere West will most likely be your choice. I remember seeing you in the L.A. forum.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,723,373 times
What about somewhere like Charlottesville, VA? It's certainly in the mountains ("The Waltons" was based on that area), University of VA is there so it has a "hip" vibe, you're close to DC if you want a REAL city, etc. I don't know how the cost of living compares to other places.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 PM

356 posts, read 698,406 times
Look into:

Sacramento, CA
- Not in the mountains but just over an hour to the Sierras, great hiking, mountain biking, kayaking (rivers, reservoirs, alpine lakes, 2 hours to the ocean, 1.5 hours to Tahoe), & biking (the American River Bike Trail runs 30+ miles from Sacramento to Folsom). Hot but dry summers with cool mornings & evenings thanks to Delta Breeze, snow-free winters. Fairly affordable (especially compared to coastal CA). Great foodie restaurants in Midtown, lots of great pubs.

Colorado Springs, CO
- Direct access to mountains, beautiful scenery, great hiking & mountain biking. Relatively mild winters (with snow), low humidity summers, low cost of living. Decent restaurants & pubs downtown.

I know Phoenix fairly well. The winters are great, the scenery is unique, and it's very affordable, but the summers are just too hot to do much outdoor recreation other than swimming

Old 03-15-2016, 06:35 PM

286 posts, read 292,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_cavalière View Post
Look into:

Sacramento, CA
- Not in the mountains but just over an hour to the Sierras, great hiking, mountain biking, kayaking (rivers, reservoirs, alpine lakes, 2 hours to the ocean, 1.5 hours to Tahoe), & biking (the American River Bike Trail runs 30+ miles from Sacramento to Folsom). Hot but dry summers with cool mornings & evenings thanks to Delta Breeze, snow-free winters. Fairly affordable (especially compared to coastal CA). Great foodie restaurants in Midtown, lots of great pubs.

Colorado Springs, CO
- Direct access to mountains, beautiful scenery, great hiking & mountain biking. Relatively mild winters (with snow), low humidity summers, low cost of living. Decent restaurants & pubs downtown.

I know Phoenix fairly well. The winters are great, the scenery is unique, and it's very affordable, but the summers are just too hot to do much outdoor recreation other than swimming

sorry i am just seeing this response now. thank you very much for the advice.. i think denver and portland are both perfect for me but bott not affordable. i enjoyed the vegas dry heat when it was 110 but that was on vacation poolside with a cocktail whole different story when you are working it and i would imagine phoenix is worse

i think you sold me on sacramento, let the research begin!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,058,575 times
Phoenix or Salt Lake City...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.