Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:01 PM

31 posts, read 65,847 times

Advertisements

Hello, I know this is a tall order maybe, but I grew up in the Bay Area (where it is warm, liberal, artsy, dog-friendly, and near water including ocean, lakes, rivers, creeks, streams, and mountains). It has everything I want except it is NOT affordable any more and landlords are incredibly dog-unfriendly. The market is insane.

Where is a comparable place?

I telecommute and can live anywhere: I just want a place for my dog, a place big enough to finally unpack my books (2 bedroom, though 3 is ideal). For under $1500.

My favorite thing to do is kayak and I love being in nature, especially mountains. But anywhere is great as long as there is a bit of outdoors, water, sunshine, affordability.

And I would really love to be around interesting culture: bookstores, cafes, art houses, cinemas although I am willing to drive to them, so just within say a 90 minute radius. I'm willing to live on the beach, on top of a mountain, in a forest, as long as I can meet some of these criteria.

I can compromise on some things but I am pulling my hair out because it seems right now I have to compromise on ALL things.

Californians may suggest places like : Arcata/Eureka (foggy) or Crescent City (no rentals right now) or Sacramento (ughh). Grass Valley and Nevada City have gotten too yuppy and expensive. Mount Shasta is awesome, but there is virtually nothing open right now. Ashland, OR is great too but still expensive, competitive and just out of my range. Portland is too expensive, Seattle is too rainy, even Bend, OR is getting expensive! I know the Southwest is a bit cheaper but then I miss out on the water/kayaking that feeds my soul (along with trees/mountains often too)

It's ridiculous people! Please help! I'm really open to everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:04 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffer76 View Post
Hello, I know this is a tall order maybe, but I grew up in the Bay Area (where it is warm, liberal, artsy, dog-friendly, and near water including ocean, lakes, rivers, creeks, streams, and mountains). It has everything I want except it is NOT affordable any more and landlords are incredibly dog-unfriendly. The market is insane.

I telecommute and can live anywhere: I just want a place for my dog, a place big enough to finally unpack my books (2 bedroom, though 3 is ideal). For under $1500.

My favorite thing to do is kayak and I love being in nature, especially mountains. But anywhere is great as long as there is a bit of outdoors, water, sunshine, affordability.

And I would really love to be around interesting culture: bookstores, cafes, art houses, cinemas although I am willing to drive to them, so just within say a 90 minute radius. I'm willing to live on the beach, on top of a mountain, in a forest, as long as I can meet some of these criteria.

I can compromise on some things but I am pulling my hair out because it seems right now I have to compromise on ALL things.

Californians may suggest places like : Arcata/Eureka (foggy) or Crescent City (no rentals right now) or Sacramento (ughh). Grass Valley and Nevada City have gotten too yuppy and expensive. Mount Shasta is awesome, but there is virtually nothing open right now. Ashland, OR is great too but still expensive, competitive and just out of my range. Portland is too expensive, Seattle is too rainy, even Bend, OR is getting expensive! I know the Southwest is a bit cheaper but then I miss out on the water/kayaking that feeds my soul (along with trees/mountains often too)

It's ridiculous people! Please help! I'm really open to everywhere.
How much water do you want? Maybe there is an area in the Inland West that fits this but may not have say, a bay or ocean. Lakes, rivers, creeks, and streams maybe... And because it would still be the West, the mountains will always be there regardless of where you are (except like Eastern Montana).

Old 03-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Enough water to kayak. There is something meditative and relaxing to my spirit about being near water.

I have been looking a lot in the inland west - its much more affordable. The problem is it is largely very conservative, and by very conservative I mean VERY conservative. You get the benefit of being in mountains, affording a home, but you are isolated, there isn't really a community for a single, liberal, artsy woman to join or make friends, and so on. That's why I mentioned Mount Shasta - it is virtually (besides Grass Valley/Nevada City) the only liberalish/artsy inland place in the state I can think of - and while I love the beauty of the inland state so much, honestly there are some parts of it that are NUTS.

I fear being isolated in a house I can afford, far from a town or cultural community, where I can't make friends, and I might be near water but it would be the loud, powerboat, rednecky-kind not the environmentalist, appreciate nature in peace kind (like me). I also considered college towns like Chico and Davis, both very cute, but Davis is really getting expensive and is super flat. I love the heat of Chico and its a mix of liberal/conservative but it just doesn't feel right. Party school atmosphere.

Montana is beautiful. Far from my family but I would consider it if there is a liberal pocket.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:31 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Check out Joseph, Oregon in the Wallowa Valley. Or other towns in the Wallowa Valley.
It'll meet your need for water(s)!, for beauty! for climate and for affordability but i'm not sure it will meet your cultural needs. And it won't be liberal like the bay area but i figure if your soul is being fed with the right nature for you/it, who cares about politics!
I've got my eye on the Wallowa Valley (probably Joseph) for when the times comes for me to leave S.C. county ... which i don't want to do but, similar to your dilemma, the affordability issue is insane / impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallowa_County,_Oregon

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...59.PgJZNiQ3CJA < Images for Joseph, Oregon

Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM

27,185 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:

Given all of your criteria I would have to say Asheville hits your criteria quite well although not as warm probably than what you're looking for a few months of the year. Otherwise I can't think of a better match politically and culturally, or in terms of dog friendliness and recreational opportunity.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Enough water to kayak. There is something meditative and relaxing to my spirit about being near water.

I have been looking a lot in the inland west - its much more affordable. The problem is it is largely very conservative, and by very conservative I mean VERY conservative. You get the benefit of being in mountains, affording a home, but you are isolated, there isn't really a community for a single, liberal, artsy woman to join or make friends, and so on. That's why I mentioned Mount Shasta - it is virtually (besides Grass Valley/Nevada City) the only liberalish/artsy inland place in the state I can think of - and while I love the beauty of the inland state so much, honestly there are some parts of it that are NUTS.

I fear being isolated in a house I can afford, far from a town or cultural community, where I can't make friends, and I might be near water but it would be the loud, powerboat, rednecky-kind not the environmentalist, appreciate nature in peace kind (like me). I also considered college towns like Chico and Davis, both very cute, but Davis is really getting expensive and is super flat. I love the heat of Chico and its a mix of liberal/conservative but it just doesn't feel right. Party school atmosphere.

Montana is beautiful. Far from my family but I would consider it if there is a liberal pocket.
Perhaps Bozeman. But Western Montana isn't very affordable from what I've heard (I'd still look though). Nearby Idaho is one of the best kayaking states in the Union, but I'm not sure if there's a liberal/artsy part of Idaho. Idaho is also more affordable than Montana from what I've seen and heard about. Maybe Coeur D'Alene? Spokane, Washington?

Or, why not shoot up North a little bit and go into Western Oregon or Washington? Assuming you stay out of Portland (or near Portland actually, Portland seems to match what you want outside of affordability) and Seattle there is probably an affordable area that fits the bill. You have the amazing opportunity to live anywhere. Lots of these beautiful easy-access-to-nature places have poor economies that revolve around tourism and you can pass that.

The Northern Interior Mountain West and the Pacific Northwest is what you want, assuming you want to stay out West. There are kayaking options here in the liberal, forested parts of Arizona (not as many but they are there) but the towns are small and expensive. Flagstaff might be a good option if you do look here as it's very liberal.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Ventura or Ojai or especially due to budget, Oxnard or Port Hueneme, CA (all near each other).

Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM

Thank you - I have heard Idaho is great for kayaking too and that Boise has some culture I would be okay with. I didn't notice that on my travels through Boise but oh well. Where is the great kayaking there?

I've read on here that a lot of people recommend Ventura and Ojai = I think it has all the criteria I am looking for except affordability. It's just as impossible as the Bay Area/LA almost.

Western Montana isn't affordable? Sheesh! It's Western Montana! Is this because millionaires buy hobby ranches?

I have been driving all around Oregon - the West is beautiful, but a bit rainy/dreary (reminds me of Ireland, which I loved but had a hard time living in day and day out of grey skies). Portland is nice, but I was having the same problems - no affordable places to live with a dog, or few anyway. And more constant wet.

I do have an amazing opportunity to live anywhere - I am lucky and fortunate in that sense - I am just hoping to meet some of these criteria too so I don't waste this opportunity.

Yes I think the northern interior mountainous west (or coastal if below eureka) and pac norwest is ideal. I love the West. I am open to the Southwest too - although not Phoenix and not Texas even though I know there is a lot that is great about parts of Texas. Just not my cup of tea.

Flagstaff is lovely - is there kayaking and is it affordable? I really liked Flagstaff when I was there and Sedona. But it seems a little out of my price range.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you - I have heard Idaho is great for kayaking too and that Boise has some culture I would be okay with. I didn't notice that on my travels through Boise but oh well. Where is the great kayaking there?

I've read on here that a lot of people recommend Ventura and Ojai = I think it has all the criteria I am looking for except affordability. It's just as impossible as the Bay Area/LA almost.

Western Montana isn't affordable? Sheesh! It's Western Montana! Is this because millionaires buy hobby ranches?

I have been driving all around Oregon - the West is beautiful, but a bit rainy/dreary (reminds me of Ireland, which I loved but had a hard time living in day and day out of grey skies). Portland is nice, but I was having the same problems - no affordable places to live with a dog, or few anyway. And more constant wet.

I do have an amazing opportunity to live anywhere - I am lucky and fortunate in that sense - I am just hoping to meet some of these criteria too so I don't waste this opportunity.

Yes I think the northern interior mountainous west (or coastal if below eureka) and pac norwest is ideal. I love the West. I am open to the Southwest too - although not Phoenix and not Texas even though I know there is a lot that is great about parts of Texas. Just not my cup of tea.

Flagstaff is lovely - is there kayaking and is it affordable? I really liked Flagstaff when I was there and Sedona. But it seems a little out of my price range.
Which west are you referring to? The north-west i assume because the inter-mountain west is certainly not dreary and rainy. It's anything but. And that is true about eastern Oregon btw.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Perhaps Bozeman. But Western Montana isn't very affordable from what I've heard (I'd still look though). Nearby Idaho is one of the best kayaking states in the Union, but I'm not sure if there's a liberal/artsy part of Idaho. Idaho is also more affordable than Montana from what I've seen and heard about. Maybe Coeur D'Alene? Spokane, Washington?

Or, why not shoot up North a little bit and go into Western Oregon or Washington? Assuming you stay out of Portland (or near Portland actually, Portland seems to match what you want outside of affordability) and Seattle there is probably an affordable area that fits the bill. You have the amazing opportunity to live anywhere. Lots of these beautiful easy-access-to-nature places have poor economies that revolve around tourism and you can pass that.

The Northern Interior Mountain West and the Pacific Northwest is what you want, assuming you want to stay out West. There are kayaking options here in the liberal, forested parts of Arizona (not as many but they are there) but the towns are small and expensive. Flagstaff might be a good option if you do look here as it's very liberal.
There is one (maybe there's 2 .... maybe Coeur D'Alene?) blue county in the very red state of Idaho. Blaine County. The Wood River Valley.
I posted about it on another thread on this forum.

It is, by the way, the most dog friendly place you can imagine. It is a dogs paradise.
And you can find affordable rentals (though there is a lot of money in the valley!) if you look between the end of ski season (mid-March) and the beginning of the summer season. Or toward the end of September through October.

post #3
Best place to live as a writer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.