Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:06 PM

102 posts, read 116,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The OP said a couple regions. The Habit is only in 10 states. Can't wait for a restaurant near me.
One or two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:59 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,482 times
Quote:
The OP said a couple regions. The Habit is only in 10 states. Can't wait for a restaurant near me.
True, perhaps, but the ten States are in the Southwest, Northwest, Southeast, and Mid Atlantic.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,287,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
True, perhaps, but the ten States are in the Southwest, Northwest, Southeast, and Mid Atlantic.
A large majority of Americans have never set foot in a Habit. There are less than 147 locations, and most (122) are in CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Habit_Burger_Grill

In what sense is The Habit effectively still more than a CA, let alone a western (also Seattle and Las Vegas) chain?

In-and-Out, mentioned by the OP, is much more a national chain.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:14 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,067,482 times
Quote:
A large majority of Americans have never set foot in a Habit. There are less than 147 locations, and most (122) are in CA.

In what sense is The Habit effectively still more than a CA, let alone a western (also Seattle and Las Vegas) chain?

I doubt there are many restaurant chains in the US that the majority of Americans have stepped in. Unlike Habit, In-N-Out actually is in only 2 regions, four contiguous States in the West (all part of the Mexican Cession) and nearby Texas.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:14 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,229,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Tudor's Biscuit World...a restaurant chain that is based in West Virginia.

Tudor's Biscuit World - Home

Meanwhile Virginia has..

Country Cookin
Welcome | Country Cookin

and Aunt Sarah's Pancake House
http://www.auntsarahsrestaurants.net/
I believe West Virginia and North Carolina are the only two states (as far as I know) with restaurant chains devoted to biscuits- Tudor's Biscuit World in WV and Biscuitville in NC.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,332,699 times
Quote:

Not really. In-N-Out doesn't spread all over the country like Habit does. Number of locations doesn't matter. A regional chain doesn't have locations nationwide. I know plenty of people who have never even heard of In-N-Out...same with Habit.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I doubt there are many restaurant chains in the US that the majority of Americans have stepped in. Unlike Habit, In-N-Out actually is in only 2 regions, four contiguous States in the West (all part of the Mexican Cession) and nearby Texas.
Much depends upon the definition of regions. E.g., census regions, standard federal regions, or some other regional definition.

E.g., Utah is in the standard federal Mountain region and Texas in the East South Central standard region, and In-and-Out has twice as many restaurants as the Habit. By my count, In-and-Out is in four standard federal regions. In-and-Out is in 3 time zones, which may be the most relevant definition of regional vs. national.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ederal_regions

Regions of the United States - Studying in US - a Guide about Studying Abroad in US

Why is this such a big deal to you??????

Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
One of my local favorites - Ralph's Ices. Originated on Staten Island, about 80 locations in NY and NJ (NYC metro chain). Some of the best Italian ice. Locations | New York, Long Island, Manhattan, Queens | Ralph's Ices

Old 03-09-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
In-N-Out doesn't spread all over the country like Habit does. Number of locations doesn't matter. A regional chain doesn't have locations nationwide.
Who says number of restaurants doesn't matter? When The Habit has 122 restaurants in CA, 15 more in AZ and Utah, one each in Idaho, Washington and Nevada, and then 7 restaurants in FL, NJ and VA, that does not sound like a national chain to me. Substance counts, especially as many small chains franchise their operations and can have a few restaurants away from their dominant region.

I don't understand this fixation of arguing that the relatively unknown The Habit, except among perhaps Consumer Reports readers, is a national chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I know plenty of people who have never even heard of In-N-Out...same with Habit.
In-and-Out is a major national aspirational brand, much like Coors in my youth. The Habit is not.

In-N-Out Burger's Marketing Magic - Businessweek

Adele consoles herself post-Grammys with a burger

In-and-Out is even a factoid for Rose Bowl fans (see 24).

Fun Facts: Iowa-Stanford, the Tom Petty Edition | The Gazette

To equate the brand recognition of In-and-Out and The Habit simply is very wrong.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:15 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,332,699 times
Quote:
Who says number of restaurants doesn't matter? When The Habit has 122 restaurants in CA, 15 more in AZ and Utah, one each in Idaho, Washington and Nevada, and then 7 restaurants in FL, NJ and VA, that does not sound like a national chain to me. Substance counts, especially as many small chains franchise their operations and can have a few restaurants away from their dominant region.

I don't understand this fixation of arguing that the relatively unknown The Habit, except among perhaps Consumer Reports readers, is a national chain.

In-and-Out is a major national aspirational brand, much like Coors in my youth. The Habit is not.

In-N-Out Burger's Marketing Magic - Businessweek

Adele consoles herself post-Grammys with a burger

In-and-Out is even a factoid for Rose Bowl fans (see 24).

Fun Facts: Iowa-Stanford, the Tom Petty Edition | The Gazette

To equate the brand recognition of In-and-Out and The Habit simply is very wrong.
I wasn't debating about which is a national chain or more recognized, because neither are. But trust me, most people on the East coast have never even heard of In-N-Out. I don't think the Habit is a national chain, but it's not a regional one either either. I guess you could put it in the category of Trader Joe's back when they were still growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.