Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:06 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepeoplesomuch View Post
D.C. summers are actually terrible. I was there in August and accidentally packed nothing but jeans and t-shirts which was a bad mistake. It was literally 95 and very, very humid. It was disgusting! My makeup ended up going down to my neck instead of staying on my face
DC summers have actually been very pleasant the last few years. The last real hot summer DC has had was 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,315,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC summers have actually been very pleasant the last few years. The last real hot summer DC has had was 2012.
I must have the worst luck when I visit.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:57 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
The sentence I bolded really addresses well everything else you wrote in this post.

Muggy, hot summers and cold winters are the worst of both worlds. And that's the OP's definition as well. Fall, and a brief period of time in spring are nice here, but the summer and winter are awful. NYC definitely meets the criteria for what OP was asking.

I could see D.C. potentially being worse...
Again, I don't have any issue with you saying NYC is cruddy overall. But I can't see it being the worst in the country. Most of the Midwest has summers just as warm (if not warmer) and winters which are colder.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:26 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
The worst of NYC's weather is really only a couple of months out of the year. It's not like 6 months of muggy 90+ misery followed by 6 months of blizzards and ice.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,529,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepeoplesomuch View Post
I've never been there but I can imagine what winters are like. However, I don't know how the summers can compare. Dry heat feels much better than humid heat.

Again, I've never been there so I can't really picture what the summers are like.
The eastern plains are actually quite humid in the summer. Where I live, summer is usually beautiful but we get nasty hailstorms. The eastern part of the state is more likely to see tornadoes than we are.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,718,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Again, I don't have any issue with you saying NYC is cruddy overall. But I can't see it being the worst in the country. Most of the Midwest has summers just as warm (if not warmer) and winters which are colder.
Fair, I haven't really been to the Midwest, outside of the one time I went to Michigan when I was a kid. But I know from family there that the winters are super cold and snowy, def worse than NYC. If the summers are humid, then I agree that a Midwest city could take the cake...

Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
The winds on the Great Plains are brutal and there's not much to stop them. Winds of 20 mph are nothing. I just looked at my weather app and we are in a wind advisory tomorrow for winds on 25-35 mph with gusts of 50. That is a regular occurrence here. We often have days of high wind warnings, with speeds up to and around 75-80 mph. It's crazy. At least I'm on the western plains and we don't have the humidity of the east. However, when we get these winds in the winter, it is brutal and nothing to mess with.
No offense, but if those winds were a regular occurrence they wouldn't issue an advisory......because it'd be normal.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,906,368 times
Places like TX and KS and AR come to mind. Hellishly hot and humid in summer, cold and snowy in winter, sprinkled with tornadoes. My idea of Hell on Earth!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:45 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,529,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No offense, but if those winds were a regular occurrence they wouldn't issue an advisory......because it'd be normal.
No matter how regular they are, they can still cause damage. We have advisories and high wind warnings frequently. I grew up in tornado alley. Thunderstorms occurred regularly but they still issued watches and warnings.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:09 PM

40 posts, read 45,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Places like TX and KS and AR come to mind. Hellishly hot and humid in summer, cold and snowy in winter, sprinkled with tornadoes. My idea of Hell on Earth!
This really is only true for the northern, inland portions of the state. In the rest of Texas, while the summers are indeed hot (with temperance from Gulf breezes along the coast), the winters are quite pleasant relative to what much of the country deals with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.