Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 02:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,872,058 times

Advertisements

I was curious what cities are likely to have a future labor shortage similar to Williston, ND did last year.

I know there are many cities on the plains and up in New England with very low unemployment rates but that doesn't always mean a labor shortage in the area.

Sometimes it seems like low unemployment rate don't mean much. I was Laramie, WY when they had a 3 percent unemployment rate and I could not find a job at all. I was told that there is no reason to be there if not working for the University of Wyoming.

On the other hand I ended up getting the best job I had in 2011 in Ogden, Utah during the gripes of the great recession in a very economically depressed area. Although Ogden has improved drastically since then.

I have done some research and the only city that have news articles about labor shortages is the Sioux Falls area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:19 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Denver is at 3% unemployment with some outlying areas like Boulder and Fort Collins below that, so one can see cities like those hitting shortages soon in some fields if not already. Honolulu is at 3% also and due to geography another obvious candidate I think.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:30 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,830,560 times
The thing is you need a city that's relatively small in general (even if NYC had a really small unemployment rate, the unemployment numbers are probably still high even then), has a low unemployment rate, and could "potentially" be a boom area.

Some industries can realistically be located anywhere. Like tech for an example. Some... Like O&G, cannot. Industries that can be anywhere, like the tech industry, generally pick certain locations that can help them recruit employees (like SF is a popular city) yet O&G needs to be where the O&G are found... In the majority of cases, these aren't where the "popular" cities are... Except maybe Houston which is kind of a popular city because of O&G. In other words, industries like O&G are more likely to transform an area to a labor shortage. Places that generally are low unemployment rates aren't necessarily popular areas where tech can attract the engineers they need.

So if we brainstorm what industries need to be in certain locations, usually resource-based ones, and then think of places where these industries ideally could be (as not all resources are everywhere), then we can think of some places.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,319,705 times
Rust Belt cities and in the Northeast where some medium sized cities are declining.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:48 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,100,337 times
The Twin Cities are around 3.5% unemployment with an over 70% labor force participation rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.