Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 AM

279 posts, read 782,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I wasn't born and raised in Chicago. I've lived other places. I know there are things to do. I was a tad hyperbolic in my response to your equally hyperbolic marveling that anyone could want to live in such an overcrowded place. I've lived in the country, and in small towns, and in mid-sized cities, and can see the pros and cons of all of the above. I can see why people like 'em, and am comfortable with that. Can you honestly say the same?

By the way, that's rush hour. It's not always like that.
the only pro i ever see to living in a big city is having stuff to do nearby. but you can live in a rural area and drive there. and theres all sorts of negatives to go along with it

and so ive heard and seen, its always like that in CA and chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 AM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago starts around 6am, and quickly builds momentum until it peaks between 8:30am and 9am. Then it quickly dies down, and starts to build again around 4pm until around 6:30pm.

This is on trains and buses though, since that's what I take daily. I don't own a car, yuk, I'd go nuts in the traffic! I just read a book, listen to music, or sleep on the way to work.

I think for driving it starts around 6am, and goes until maybe 10am. Things pick up very quickly starting around 2:30-3pm, and don't die down until maybe 7pm.

Here's a few of Chicago during rush hour....

Awesome pics..I friggin miss home!

As for denver, the commute seems to last between 7 am-9 am and in the afternoons start at 3:30 and last til 7. Traffic here is not really that bad unless it snows, then everyone's IQ drops.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 AM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Typical rush hour in BR is 6-9am although traffic doesn't begin stopping until about 7am.
The afternoons are worse by far, typically 3:30-6:30pm, but on some days the traffic beings stopping on the freeway around lunchtime and doesn't let up.
Then we have wierd things like wrecks on one side of town that screw up traffic on the other side, and those can last an hour or more. It is not uncommon on bad days to have traffic backed up from one side of the city all the way to the suburbs on the other side.
The problem with BR is that there is no freeway to bypass the city. If you have to come through, you're coming through.
Also BR has a huge daytime population that empties out after work hours.

And as much as it rains here sometimes, you'd think people would know how to drive in the weather. But it only gets worse.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What quality of life can one have when they spend 8 hours at work and 4-5 hours in the car?
I am convinced some people enjoy sitting in traffic. They probably look at it like it is down time/quite time.
Not me! I've always said that driving a distance to work is for me more stressful than an entire day at work!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:13 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
the only pro i ever see to living in a big city is having stuff to do nearby. but you can live in a rural area and drive there. and theres all sorts of negatives to go along with it

and so ive heard and seen, its always like that in CA and chicago
In what big city did you live, might I ask?

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM

102 posts, read 472,360 times
If you live in L.A. you can just forget the freeways.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM

102 posts, read 472,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Chicago starts around 6am, and quickly builds momentum until it peaks between 8:30am and 9am. Then it quickly dies down, and starts to build again around 4pm until around 6:30pm.

This is on trains and buses though, since that's what I take daily. I don't own a car, yuk, I'd go nuts in the traffic! I just read a book, listen to music, or sleep on the way to work.

I think for driving it starts around 6am, and goes until maybe 10am. Things pick up very quickly starting around 2:30-3pm, and don't die down until maybe 7pm.

Here's a few of Chicago during rush hour....

Awesome pics its so vivid I can almost see myself in the midist of Chicago's rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.