Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,979,089 times

Advertisements

OK, we've seen hundreds of photos of skylines. Enough already. Any city from a distance can look good.

But how about pictures of some of the cool, hip urban neighborhoods that many of us like? To be honest, it's one of the reasons I really enjoyed my visits to Saint Louis and Baltimore; those cities have lots of really nice, inner-city neighborhoods where people know their neighbors, walk to do their errands, and local cafes and restaurants are preferred over the big chains (even Starbucks).

So, how about it? I bet a bunch of us would love to see what your favorite cities have to offer up close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
does knoxville have any?
I wish. We have some beautiful old in-town neighborhoods, but they're strictly residential. I guess because of the lay of the land, the main commercial arteries (with streetcars) followed narrow valleys, and the residential areas rose up along the hills above the commercial arteries.

Here's probably the biggest of Knoxville's neighborhood commercial areas. It's called Fountain City, and it was settled in the 1880s-90s. The little commercial area has an ice cream store and a few other little cafes and offices. The residential area is up the hill from there.

As you can see, it's not what I would call a "hip, urban neighborhood" but it's not bad, either, I suppose. Better than tract housing and McMansions, certainly.

This park and art center are right across the street (to the left) from the above commercial area.

And as you can see, the residential part of Fountain City goes straight up hill from the commercial area.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
All kinds of St. Louis pictures here: http://urbanstl.com/viewforum.php?f=24 (broken link)

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Please note that while photgraphs and other images add greatly to threads and posts, members need to respect the copyright guidelines City Data has established. Posting images for which you do not hold the copyright is against the Terms of Service. These posts will be deleted.

How do you know if you hold a copyright?

Unless you took the photo, or you have obtained written permission to reproduce the photo, you are likely violating the images copyrights by reproducing it.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,249,261 times
Default Seattle Washington

Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,784,369 times
Here is the Cal Ave, old SW Reno area of Reno:

pics taken by Jwaters

Old 02-15-2008, 12:03 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
We cant let everyone know what a gem Reno is.....shhhhh.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:54 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,652 times
Here's a photo of one of my favorite neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. It's called the Strip. It's very gritty, but there are lots of sights, sounds, smells and tastes to keep you coming back for more. You can find Asian groceries, fresh produce from Amish farms, or enjoy a Pittsburgh-style sandwich with fries and coleslaw inside.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,068,087 times
Seattle looks like fun. Its somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Reno looks nice too. Looks a lot like some of the pictures I've seen of Sacramento. Maybe its just me..? I dont know, havent been to either place. Anyway, I'll see if I have some street scenes of Miami on my computer when I get home...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think (Freedom) View Post
Seattle looks like fun. Its somewhere I've always wanted to visit. Reno looks nice too. Looks a lot like some of the pictures I've seen of Sacramento. Maybe its just me..? I dont know, havent been to either place. Anyway, I'll see if I have some street scenes of Miami on my computer when I get home...
I agree, those pics of Seattle and Reno really look nice. I didn't see that side of Seattle when I was there, so I might have to go back and check it out again.

And I'd love to see what you've got for Miami! Even though my family is originally from Tampa and we have this love/hate thing with Miami, I would really like to see some beautiful pics of Miami's great urban neighborhoods (and I bet there are a bunch of them). Tampa, unfortunately, doesn't have very many, which is sad considernig it's warm enough most of the year to be outside in shorts and t-shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.