Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 06:02 AM

286 posts, read 295,021 times

Advertisements

Which desert climate would you prefer to live in and why?
Basically which city and why

Phoenix ,Vegas or Tucson

Which city is the hottest in the summer?

Last edited by tfriss92; 03-24-2016 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,996 times
Tucson for sure. Phoenix and Vegas have the heat island effect thanks to all the buildings and concrete. In the summer, that means the cities rarely feel the effects of the drastic desert temperature swings. In Tucson, it may get to 115 like the others, but it can cool off to the high 70s and 80s in the evening. Additionally, Tucson is surrounded by 5 scenic mountain ranges at elevations of 7,000 feet. You can be among the aspens in July in less than 40 minutes.

Phoenix is sprawled and hot. Vegas is touristy and hot.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM

4,326 posts, read 1,261,439 times
Out of those choices I would pick Tucson, it's just a more laid-back, friendlier city. Phoenix is too sprawling, like a smaller version of LA. I like areas away from the Vegas strip, Henderson is fine. My favorite desert area is the Coachella Valley though, it's probably the hottest and driest of them all.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Tucson. For pretty much the same reasons given above.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:31 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Phoenix and Vegas are the same temperatures. If Vegas was the size of Phoenix, and Phoenix stayed the same, Vegas would be the hotter one.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:34 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Agree with most, but disagree the temps are the same in Phoenix and Tucson. You live in Tucson and don't know that? More specifically, Tucson is higher in elevation than Phoenix by about 1,500 feet. This creates a slightly milder temperature, especially as the sun drops. There are areas surrounding Tucson (specifically Oro Valley or up in the foothills) that reach a bit higher still and have temps that are slightly below the city center.

Phoenix will stay well into the 90s through midnight and offers very little relief at any time of the day in the summer. It's closer to sea level and as others have said, full of concrete and way more lawns and pools, which can add humidity (comparably).

Vegas is the least naturally attractive since it's not in the Sonoran Desert, and it is typically drier as well. And temps in Vegas tend to be lower in the winter time, which is when you don't want them to be.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:38 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Phoenix and Vegas are the same temperatures. If Vegas was the size of Phoenix, and Phoenix stayed the same, Vegas would be the hotter one.
No.

Look at the temps at 10pm and 7am in the two cities on any given day and the difference is probably 10 degrees. At midnight, more like 15.

Middle of the day the difference is less, but it's still 3-7 degrees cooler in Tucson, usually (not all the time).

Also, it just FEELS hotter in Phoenix due to the congestion and concrete everywhere. And more cars.

I know my profile says Illinois, but I lived in Tucson for a few years, much of my family is there. Been there dozens of times.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:27 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Agree with most, but disagree the temps are the same in Phoenix and Tucson. You live in Tucson and don't know that? More specifically, Tucson is higher in elevation than Phoenix by about 1,500 feet. This creates a slightly milder temperature, especially as the sun drops. There are areas surrounding Tucson (specifically Oro Valley or up in the foothills) that reach a bit higher still and have temps that are slightly below the city center.

Phoenix will stay well into the 90s through midnight and offers very little relief at any time of the day in the summer. It's closer to sea level and as others have said, full of concrete and way more lawns and pools, which can add humidity (comparably).

Vegas is the least naturally attractive since it's not in the Sonoran Desert, and it is typically drier as well. And temps in Vegas tend to be lower in the winter time, which is when you don't want them to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
No.

Look at the temps at 10pm and 7am in the two cities on any given day and the difference is probably 10 degrees. At midnight, more like 15.

Middle of the day the difference is less, but it's still 3-7 degrees cooler in Tucson, usually (not all the time).

Also, it just FEELS hotter in Phoenix due to the congestion and concrete everywhere. And more cars.

I know my profile says Illinois, but I lived in Tucson for a few years, much of my family is there. Been there dozens of times.
I don't know if you are referring to me, but I clearly know that Tucson and Phoenix have different temperatures. I have lived in both for extensive periods of time. I am a born and raised Arizonan. I think you misread that I was comparing PHOENIX and VEGAS, not Tucson where I currently spend most of my time, with roughly a quarter of my time in Phoenix.

Vegas and Phoenix have next to no comparison at all in temperatures. There are days Vegas is hotter, and days Phoenix is hotter. Vegas has less rain I believe so more sun, less monsoon season... That can be a good or bad thing depending on the person. Most desert lovers hate the monsoon season so in a way Vegas wins there.

Tucson is clearly a tad colder but the difference is almost negligible in the summer heat. Believe me if you already feel like you're melting, the rough 5-10 degree difference isn't enough. The heat directly matters here if you have direct sun on you or not. 115 in the sun can result to 90s in the shade here at the same time... It's true. 100 at night is better than 100 in the day. So what matters most is finding some sun coverage. I tell people that as long as the area has had extended shade, it can be as much as a 20 degree difference. Finding shade is key to living in a desert climate.

So what I'm saying is when you are already looking at very hot places, the weather between them will be negligible. You will feel hot anyway. You should be comparing the city amenities and which one fits your needs more.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:03 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
IMO, the Coachella Valley of Southern California is the nicest desert area in the US.

Phoenix is too sprawling, Tucson is too rundown and Vegas is too, well, Vegas.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 AM

286 posts, read 295,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
IMO, the Coachella Valley of Southern California is the nicest desert area in the US.

Phoenix is too sprawling, Tucson is too rundown and Vegas is too, well, Vegas.
Is that the Palm Springs area ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.