Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,078 times

Advertisements

I think anywhere in Indiana outside of bloomington, or city-wise Indianapolis. I would hate knowing all the time that there are so many better and far more interesting places to be as I experienced living in indiana.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:25 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneewhitehe View Post
You have no idea about segregation and racism etc in the South! It is not Dukes of Hazzard!
Hey now wait a second, I don't remember there being any sort of racism on the Dukes of Hazzard. Heck, Sheriff Little was a genius compared the bumbling (though lovable) Hazzard County Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
What places in America would you never live in? Or you would rather not live in? and explain your reasons for them.

I would never live in anyplace in the South, no offense to anyone that lives down there. Im from the North Coast (around Cleveland) and I hate that the south still has so much segregation and racism. Also its already hot enough in Cleveland in the summer, and its even hotter down south. The south is also not urban enough for me. I would also never live anyplace thats more than 1 hour from a large city, I cant stand being in the middle of nowhere, I dont really like rural areas. I also dont think I would ever live in the desert. I need to be close to a water source.
Do you consider Cleveland integrated? In my experience, Southern cities are actually more integrated than cities in the midwest/rustbelt. The most segregated cities I've ever seen have been Detroit, Chicago and Buffalo. I'm only vaguely familiar with Cleveland, so I'd be surprised if it was much different, but maybe it is.

Regarding the original question... I think the only place I absolutely wouldn't live would be the northern Plains like North Dakota, northern Minnesota, eastern Montana... I can handle cold to a point, but I don't think I could take the kind of cold they get.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
I guess I have to give the south another chance. Its just that a lot of people that I know have went down there and told me all the stories of all the racists things they heard from being down there for just a month or two. Once I heard that I knew I could never live down there. Im from a very diverse area, I grew up with whites, blacks, mixed, and puerto ricans, and the neighborhoods to the south were mostly black (the area Im talking about is in central Elyria Ohio, in the Cleveland area).

I like the Cleveland area because I grew up here, and it can get a lot worse than here. The weather might not be the best though. Its cold for 5 months, and hot for 5 months, theres only 2 months here that we have good weather. Seriously though, are summers are from like May-October and its mostly too hot for that whole time, then we have one okay month, then its midly cold-to pretty cold from December-March, than April is okay but toward the end of the month it will be in the 80s. So yes its very weird weather.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I guess I have to give the south another chance. Its just that a lot of people that I know have went down there and told me all the stories of all the racists things they heard from being down there for just a month or two. Once I heard that I knew I could never live down there. Im from a very diverse area, I grew up with whites, blacks, mixed, and puerto ricans, and the neighborhoods to the south were mostly black (the area Im talking about is in central Elyria Ohio, in the Cleveland area).
I have found that certain people when travelling search for the stereotype they've been told. They could see 100 cases that fly in the face of the stereotype, but if they see one situation that fits their previous conceptions, then that is what they will hold on to.

Yeah, if you think Cleveland is hot for 5 months out of the year, then the South is not for you. LOL. My family in Buffalo is the same way, if it is warmer than room temperature outside, they start complaining.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM

98 posts, read 314,511 times
I would never move back to Ohio which is where I'm currently stuck. Miserable winters and too many clouds. Others include any northern state and the rest of the midwest.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:03 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
I would never move back to Ohio which is where I'm currently stuck.Others include any northern state and the rest of the midwest.
Howdy neighbor! Down on your region too huh?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I have found that certain people when travelling search for the stereotype they've been told. They could see 100 cases that fly in the face of the stereotype, but if they see one situation that fits their previous conceptions, then that is what they will hold on to.

Yeah, if you think Cleveland is hot for 5 months out of the year, then the South is not for you. LOL. My family in Buffalo is the same way, if it is warmer than room temperature outside, they start complaining.
Well, its not hot every single day for 5 months straight but I was saying that because we had our first 90+ day in early May and had our last 90+ day in late october, and most of June-August is in the upper 80s-90s so thats like 6 months of the highs possibly over 90 degrees, but mainly in the mid 80s.

I dont complain about the temperature being hot unless its over 90 degrees. Also when I was growing up we didnt have central AC so its not fun at all when your trying to sleep at 11 at night and the temperature is still 80+ degrees lol, I remember it was like that for months straight. Those are the times when you wish it was winter again.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:24 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times
Places I could not live........
Alaska..........Its beautiful but....I can't take that coldness
Michigan, Wisconsin..Illinois N/S Dakota Idaho ......too, too, cold
Washington State........too damp and no good summers.
Probably none of the New England States......I love hot summers and short winters.

I could live though......
In Florida........beautiful warm ocean, lots of palm trees, and fun things to do
In South Carolina......smiling places, beautiful places...weather
Southern places close to the ocean.......emmmm.......wonderful.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:38 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
I've disliked most of the Sun Belt cities I've been to, but I'd probably live almost anywhere for a brief period of time. Longer-term, however, I like big, fast-paced, old, slightly chaotic cities. I'm from the Northeast and I think I'd have a tough time with many places outside there aside from Chicago, SF and maybe a couple of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.