Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 PM

654 posts, read 1,909,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Salt Lake City? Salt Lake City. salt lake city. sAlt lAke cIty. s-a-l-t l-a-k-e c-i-t-y wait.... let me repeat the name one more time. SALT LAKE city.
Are you implying it does not qualify because of the Great Salt Lake? The original post asks about navigable water. The poster who listed SLC probably interpreted this the same way I did with navigable meaning water used for transportation. The Great Salt Lake can't be used for transportation for anything, it does nowhere, as does the rivers in the area. the Great Basin area is useless for transportation by water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
This is just a fun little thread. Anyhow, can you name any U.S. cities, large, medium, and small sized, that have no rivers or natural bodies of navigable water.

A few I can think of are:
  • Las Vegas
  • Denver
  • Charlotte
  • Lexington, KY
Las Vegas...Lost Wages
THE COLORADO RIVER: WAS IT NAVIGABLE?

Denver
Venice on the Creek in Denver, CO 80204 | Parents Connect Local

Charlotte
About the Catawba-Wateree River — Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation

Lexington KY
The economy of Lexington, Kentucky was shaped by its considerable distance from any major navigable rivers. As a landlocked city, it did not develop the heavy industry that often developed in cities like Cincinnati or Pittsburgh [1]. To counter this, Lexington put forth an effort to stay at the forefront of modern technology in an effort to attract a diverse light industrial and commercial base. Economy of Lexington, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,993 times
Quote:
This is just a fun little thread. Anyhow, can you name any U.S. cities, large, medium, and small sized, that have no rivers or natural bodies of navigable water.
An honorable mention, of course, to Phoenix. Basically a stagecoach stop turned town, for the journey out west. The "Salt River" is more of a dry river bed, that gets a little bit of water whenever it rains hard enough. Nothing really special. Up in the mountains, there's dams that hold back the lakes, and they let a little water down into the canals that run throughout the valley.

Quote:
A few I can think of are:
  • Las Vegas
  • Denver
  • Charlotte
  • Lexington, KY
Funny you should mention Lexington -- I was born and raised there, and know plenty about the history. While it does not have any navigable waterways, it was founded due to the natural springs (McConnell Springs) which delivered a steady supply of fresh water. As the story goes, animals would collect at the springs for water. Native Americans followed the Animals to hunt, widening their trails. Settlers coming through the Virginia territory followed the Native's trails, and began to set up camp. As the beginnings of the fort were being built, the Battle of Lexington, in Lexington, VA was won. In honor of the victory, the settler's named their camp "Lexington". The trails that originally led the settlers there widened into roads, eventually leading to surrounding farms and forts. Lexington's roads eventually found a new purpose: carrying goods between the port cities of Louisville and Cincinnati, out into the Virginia Territory (later, Kentucky). Due to all the goods flowing through, Lexington became a commerce capital of the area.

So, while not all major cities are founded on navigable waterways, I would argue that most (obvious exceptions being cities such as Las Vegas) were formed near water sources, and along means of transportation (roads, railroads, and --in some cases-- waterways.)

Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
Are you implying it does not qualify because of the Great Salt Lake? The original post asks about navigable water. The poster who listed SLC probably interpreted this the same way I did with navigable meaning water used for transportation. The Great Salt Lake can't be used for transportation for anything, it does nowhere, as does the rivers in the area. the Great Basin area is useless for transportation by water.
Oh ik it isn't navigable. I agree, i just felt like having a little bit of fun. But it is on water, lots of it, but yes, i suppose it isnt navigable. But i do suppose people still boat on it, right?

Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Dallas, TX and Oklahoma City, OK
Once upon a time in Dallas TX......
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...articles/ett01
Presently In Oklahoma City OK
Triad Design Group • Architecture and Engineering

Devon River Cruisers
Oklahoma River Cruises - Home

Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
i was talking about major waterways that brought trade and commerce in the pass. I do not think Orlando was settled as it is or has become because of its waterways.... Its not a Geo lesson ether, try history. Florida was once not considered as a habitat place for man or beast.Yes there is water under ground, but as a whole, Florida was considered only good for its coastline. Jacksonville was about all there was once , when it came to cities. Miami is much more recent, as is Orlando. The inter state waterway system, with locks and dams, all came later.
Florida has a karst environment. Lots of water but it comes out of the ground in springs and then back into the ground, never is it a full river. The TX Hill country is similar.

150 years ago karst landscapes were not easy to work with but now the scenery and availability of water means cities do quite well in those environments and they offer tons of recreational opportunities to its citizens as well...

Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM

Omaha Neb has the Missouri River which is Navigble see Link Below
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ha%20rivers%22

Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Let's see... (and granted, I'm talking about commercial navigation here -- IE, no barges and ships. Anyone can plunk a small sailboat into a creek somewhere and sail a mile or so. Also, I'm not basing this on past navigation).

Boise.
Phoenix.
Eugene.
Fresno.
Salem.
Redding.
Los Angeles (provided you don't count Long Beach).
Vegas.
Des Moines.
Lansing.
Columbus.
Indianapolis.
Syracuse.
Manchester, NH.
Springfield, MA.
Worchester, NH.
Hartford.
Richmond.
Roanoke.
Raleigh.
Greensboro.
Winston-Salem.
Charlotte.
Atlanta.
Columbia, SC.
Birmingham.
Jackson, MS.
Lexington, KY.
Tulsa.
Oklahoma City.
Dallas-Forth Worth.
Albuquerque.
Salt Lake City.
Waco.
Austin.
San Antonio.
Reno.

Probably missed a few.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:16 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Omaha Neb has the Missouri River which is Navigble see Link Below
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...ha%20rivers%22
Still get a barge go by every now and again.
All sizes | Barge Traffic~ The Missouri River at Omaha | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-20-2012, 01:52 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,501 times
Quote:
Columbus, Ohio. It became Ohio's capital because it was in the geographic center of the state.
Scioto River runs through Columbus which connects to the ohio river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.