Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 49,065 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure if this would belong in Nature or Travel so I posted it here. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

What do you think are the most overrated and underrated National Parks and why? Maybe overrated is too strong of a word btw. I think all of the National Parks have something to offer. But which ones lived up to the hype (or surpassed it) and which ones didn't live up to expectations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
I don't know if there are as many "overrated" National Parks as "overlooked". I've heard that while Yellowstone is super popular, Grand Teton can be just as awe-inspiring but it isn't nearly as well-known.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
Overrated - Grand Canyon above the rim in tourist season.
Underrated - Grand Canyon below the rim in off seasons.

Most overlooked and underrated national park is Olympic National Park in Washington state. Three diverse ecosystems of alpine peaks, rain forests, and coastal beaches that have spots that feel like no man has ever walked before. Just you in solitude with the ocean with fabulous scenery and sunsets. It's incredible.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-30-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:08 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
We have enjoyed every national park we have visited. Best use of tax dollars for the public that I know about.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:23 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,289 times
There is no such thing as an overrated national park. As for underrated national park...Great Sand Dunes in Colorado, North Cascades in Washington, and Isle Royale in the middle of Lake Superior. I'm really eager to go to Isle Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dwiXJX22U

Old 03-31-2016, 01:25 AM

24 posts, read 49,065 times
Isle Royal is probably the park east of the Mississippi that I'm most interested in visiting. I wouldn't mind paddling around those islands for a bit.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,935,938 times
For underrated, I second Great Sand Dunes and North Cascades, and would add Capitol Reef. The Utah parks are unworldly; Capitol Reef has elements of all of them but far smaller crowds (for now). Out of the parks I haven't visited yet, Isle Royale, Voyageurs, and especially Acadia would be at the top of my list.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,795,420 times
One National Park that rarely ever generates much discussion is Channel Islands National Park. Pristine undeveloped southern California coastline, sounds pretty remarkable. Looks amazing in photos.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan..._AUIBygC&dpr=1

Old 04-01-2016, 09:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Yellowstone is our first National Park, and it deserves to be. The volcanic pools and geysers are incredible, but yes, it doesn't come out and awe visitors. This Park needs time to explore, and you really can't drive through in a day and get the full force of the Park. That being said, spend a couple of days here and you will be blown away.

To the south of Yellowstone, the Teton Park is fantastic, and if views are what you are looking for, this one probably offers the best in the system.

Mt. Rainier and North Cascades in Washington State are also terrific, but again, not as a drive-by. You need to go deep inside to take advantage of these fantastic Parks.

Bottom line, you can't really appreciate most National Parks with a drive-by. You need to actually spend some time to understand their beauty.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,804,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Overrated - Grand Canyon above the rim in tourist season.
Underrated - Grand Canyon below the rim in off seasons.

Most overlooked and underrated national park is Olympic National Park in Washington state. Three diverse ecosystems of alpine peaks, rain forests, and coastal beaches that have spots that feel like no man has ever walked before. Just you in solitude with the ocean with fabulous scenery and sunsets. It's incredible.
I came to this thread to say the same exact thing about the Grand Canyon. Great minds think alike!

Also the Grand Canyon is more appealing from the North Rim and there's less people but it's hard to get to. North Rim is underrated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.