Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times

Advertisements

I got a 10.

I don't put much stock into stuff like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
My 'score' was a 79....whatever that means. i grew up poor, redneck, rural, work with your hands, and served in the military.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:38 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
While I agree about some of those things, a LOT of people fish, however and a lot of people own pick up trucks. Though it depends where you are. I dunno about where you live, assume in the west but in a lot of coastal areas in the East and South and in a lot of the Midwest fishing is very popular. I grew up in Florida there's a LOT of fishing going on down there, especially sportfishing. Texas may not have all that much water but you better believe fishing is popular here too.

Pick up trucks are also very popular especially in the South but really, all over the country in general. They're extremely useful especially for hauling things. I'd like a pick up truck someday.
I live in LA, where both fishing and pickup trucks aren't very common, but even outside the city, more than half of people don't fish and don't own a pickup truck.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
I live in LA, where both fishing and pickup trucks aren't very common, but even outside the city, more than half of people don't fish and don't own a pickup truck.

I dunno much about fishing in the ocean in LA but at the same time, Southern California doesn't have the abundance of freshwater that states further east do. Its also about lifestyle. In Florida, even big city people are more likely to fish as its popular recreation there, but in California its just as big of a part of the lifestyle.

I can't tell you how many of my parent's friends homes back in Florida had stuffed marlins and barracudas on the wall! Fishing is a big part of recreation plus industry on the east coast in general, especially in states like Maryland.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
37 and yes, made a point of getting out a lot. Lol. True.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:32 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times
40 here.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
I got 25 which it describes as "a second-generation (or more) upper-middle-class person who has made a point of getting out a lot."

Fairly accurate. I don't watch a lot of mainstream tv but I sure keep my fridge full of domestic beer lol.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:25 AM

936 posts, read 823,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I know where Branson, MO is, who Richard Branson is and I know who Jimmie Johnson is. I love Geography though I have no desire to go to Branson, MO.

I scored 63.

The Branson question made me laugh. I guess I'm 100% middle America because a branch of my family actually owns a theater in Branson and they perform country and bluegrass music every night. I've been to Branson dozens of times because of them.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Do you live in a bubble? A quiz | PBS NewsHour

Saw some conversion about "what middle America is?" and it made me think of a pretty interesting quiz I took last week. Examines how big of a bubble you live in and takes a guess of what your background is. Obviously not an exact science, but interesting none the less.

I got a 24. I was on the lower end of the average and appear to be more disconnected to middle America than most who took the quiz. So do you think this is accurate? Do you think you are average?

Edit: I butchered the title. Classic
(11) 11–80: A first-generation upper-middle-class person with middle-class parents. Typical: 33.

I do not detest middle America like so many others. Being the son of immigrants, I was expecting a little higher on that score, but alas 11 it is. I guess that is a bit of a bubble.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:46 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Do you live in a bubble? A quiz | PBS NewsHour

Saw some conversion about "what middle America is?" and it made me think of a pretty interesting quiz I took last week. Examines how big of a bubble you live in and takes a guess of what your background is. Obviously not an exact science, but interesting none the less.
Interesting quiz, thanks for sharing. You started this thread over a year ago and it's still getting replies.

FWIW, I scored a 25. I spent my first year after college in Griffith Indiana as a process control engineer at a steel mill. I think that "de-bubblified" me a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.