Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM

505 posts, read 502,346 times

Advertisements

I didn't really read into the subtext of the quiz, I just did it out of curiosity.

I scored a 66 (not sure if being 23 weighs in or not).

Grew up just above the poverty line; dad was a landscaper during the day (now owns his own business), mom worked for Safeway at night, only ever saw them together during their switch-out in the late afternoon.

In fact, the old saying "were you raised in a barn?" is hilarious to me because I did spend my 1st to 3rd birthdays living in a barn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, and do I know any Evangelicals? My gosh, I live in the South. I couldn't throw a cat out my front door without hitting an Evangelical - in my very nice neighborhood. What whoever rigged up this "test" apparently doesn't realize is that many upper crust Southerners - the old money elitists in fact - are Evangelicals. At least they're members of Evangelical churches. Even the debutantes and Homecoming Queens and football team captains and the President of the city's Economical Development Council and the local business owner who employs 300 people and who has a sandwich named after him downtown in the trendy new bistro.

Anyway, whoever wrote this also apparently doesn't realize that many very wealthy, old money folks in Texas drive pickup trucks that cost as much as some houses. Just because they want to. Everything's bigger in Texas - even the parking spaces.
And conversely, in much of the coastal Northeast few whites of any class are evangelical. And the working-class mostly doesn't drive pick-up trucks nor watch NASCAR. Or would know what Branson, Missouri is. Maybe we're more out of touch from "average America" but that doesn't make them elitist.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:54 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
One thing I appreciate about City-Data is the interesting cross section of people that like to post on here.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
One thing I appreciate about City-Data is the interesting cross section of people that like to post on here.
I think there is a better cross section of middle America here on CD than one would find amongst the people listening to NPR on PBS.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:51 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think there is a better cross section of middle America here on CD than one would find amongst the people listening to NPR on PBS.
Yeah that's basically what I meant.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 AM

644 posts, read 1,019,055 times
I got a 3, wth? I certainly don't think I live in a bubble because I don't fish or watch boatloads of television or know certain celebrities.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I didn't really read into the subtext of the quiz, I just did it out of curiosity.

I scored a 66 (not sure if being 23 weighs in or not).

Grew up just above the poverty line; dad was a landscaper during the day (now owns his own business), mom worked for Safeway at night, only ever saw them together during their switch-out in the late afternoon.

In fact, the old saying "were you raised in a barn?" is hilarious to me because I did spend my 1st to 3rd birthdays living in a barn
great post. lol I grew up on my mothers horse ranch in northern virginia and maryland as well, my mother was a southern lady who rode equestrian professionally for years. I had to take care of the horses, lived in a barn in a room over the horses for 7 years of my youth. I was sort of raised in a barn.lol

its very weird with americas pathetic excuse for class structure, rural people are looked down upon. in england and europe all the aristocracy are "country iife" , horse and hound and rural people,

aristocracy was always based on land ownership. even the queen was probably raised in a barn for a small part of her life. lol

Old 04-13-2016, 10:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
I would like to say that experiences can say a lot more about a person than their knowledge but then again someone's lack of knowledge can say a lot about a person.

I know where Branson, MO is, who Richard Branson is and I know who Jimmie Johnson is. I love Geography though I have no desire to go to Branson, MO. I've never watched a car race in my life, that doesn't mean I don't read newspapers. I know some Evangelicals. I'm not religious in the slightest but I travel a lot, I've lived in several states and I like to meet new people. So is knowing people from all walks of life good or is associating with an Evangelicals considered "bad" by this quiz. I guess "bad" is the wrong term but what group does knowing an Evangelical put me in?

My zip code is a result of following my husband's career with the US Forest Service. That typically lands us in rural locations against my desires.

I find the entire thing a bit bizarre.

My score was a 32.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Old 04-18-2016, 07:55 PM

27 posts, read 22,407 times
I got a 3. My parents work in healthcare (nurse practitioner and surgeon) and I have a professional degree. I've lived in the Northeast for most of my life and have never met an evangelical. All of my friends have liberal if not left wing political views, which, admittedly, cultivates a bubble of sorts. Still, I wouldn't have expected that my lack of familiarity with NASCAR and 2016's blockbusters makes me insular, even though the quiz says otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.