Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:53 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've also heard it referred to as San Fransissy.
Calling SF sissy, eh? How original.

This thread is about nicknames residents have for their cities. Not derogatory names that others make up. And I might as well point out that I've never herd that term ever. Might as well use a real one such as:

"the land of fruits and nuts"

There's one I've heard before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:21 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Calling SF sissy, eh? How original.

This thread is about nicknames residents have for their cities. Not derogatory names that others make up. And I might as well point out that I've never herd that term ever. Might as well use a real one such as:

"the land of fruits and nuts"

There's one I've heard before.
It was an observation, not a judgment. My gay friends actually find the nickname amusing...that's where I learned it in the first place. So you can climb off your PC high horse.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
MILWAUKEE,WI 2.1 MILLION AND GROWING STRONG, AKA:

THE BREW CITY
MIL-TOWN
THE ILL-MIL
MILROCK
CREAM CITY(all of the buildings use cream city brick)
MURDA MIL
MILL CITY
MKE
BREW TOWN

MOST PEOPLE CALL IT "THE BREW CITY"
Cream City brick gets its name from Milwaukee, not the other way around.

Here's some nicknames you missed:

"Trillwaukee"
"Deutsch-Athen (German Athens)"
"Drunkest City in America" - Forbes
"Ma-waukee" local pronunciation
"Mill-e-wah-que" - Alice Cooper from Wayne's World
"The Nation's Watering Hole"
"The City of Festivals"
"Prague with bratwursts" - Garrison Keillor

Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Arizona (Grand Canyon State):

Apache Junction - "Home of the Superstition Mountains"

Avondale - Was originally called Coldwater - nickname was "Arizona's Salad Bowl"

Bisbee - Once billed as "The Largest City Between St. Louis & San Francisco"

Flagstaff - "City of Seven Wonders", "Flag Town"

Jerome - used to be "The Wickedest Town in the West" - also "Largest Ghost Town in America", "America's Most Haunted Town", "The Most Vertical City in America"

Kingman - "Heart of Route 66"

Lake Havasu - "Personal Watercraft Capital of the World", "Spring Break Party Capital", "Arizona's West Coast", "Home of the Real London Bridge"

Sedona - Used to be "Arizona's Little Hollywood" - now "Red Rock Country", "Beverly Hills on the Rocks", "Mini Moab" (nickname in the mountain biking world), "New Age Capital of the World"

Phoenix - "Valley of the Sun", "The Valley"

Tombstone - "The Town Too Tough To Die"

Tucson - "The Old Pueblo", "Optics Valley", "Hollywood in the Desert" (Old Tucson)

Scottsdale - used to be "The West's Most Western Town" - today more like: "Snottsdale", "Palm Springs Lite", "Shiny Shirts & Plastic Surgery", "Beverly Hills of the Desert"

Wickenburg - "The Dude Ranch Capital of the World"

Yuma - Used to be Colorado City, then Arizona City - now Yuma

Old 04-02-2009, 08:25 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Newark AKA Brick City

Due to the riots in the 60s between whites and blacks.. bricks were thrown and destroyed businesses, homes, and people! My grandpa was hit with a brick during MLK times by his own kind (white) for some reason, he was living in West Bronx at the time.

No one in my family lived in Newark, NJ yet during those times.
Newark is called "brick city" because of its history of brick making, laying, and brick buildings in the Downtown area.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
I decided to make up my own nickname for Atlanta, "the Island" because we are pretty isolated within our own state, the Southeast, and the South. There isn't another city that's our size within 350 miles of us; Houston's 793 miles close, Miami's 663 miles close, Dallas is a short 784 miles, and Memphis is a quick 390 miles away from us, gotta love that proximity. There have been other posters who've described how Atlanta was an "Island" in GA but I'll leave that one alone. Overall I think this nickname actually describes Atlanta is actually a nickname and not an abbreviation (and not lame like hotlanta).

Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It was an observation, not a judgment. My gay friends actually find the nickname amusing...that's where I learned it in the first place. So you can climb off your PC high horse.
So because you have gay friends that think it's funny than what?
I'm assuming they live in San Francisco and you don't just think any gay person has a say on SF..anyways most gay's here don't leave there areas anyway so therefore I think the nickname can be held true,just like for any major city,except maybe Detroit lol.
But "SanFransissy" isn't a very accurate nickname,unless you are talking about the 49ers LOL.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Louisville, KY- Derby City, River City, Falls City(because of the Falls of the Ohio), The Ville, Da ville

Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
So because you have gay friends that think it's funny than what?
I'm assuming they live in San Francisco and you don't just think any gay person has a say on SF..anyways most gay's here don't leave there areas anyway so therefore I think the nickname can be held true,just like for any major city,except maybe Detroit lol.
But "SanFransissy" isn't a very accurate nickname,unless you are talking about the 49ers LOL.
Huh?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,577,383 times
Syracuse is the Salt City... because it supplied salt to the entire U.S.A. in the 19th century... in fact the city of Syracuse, Utah is named after a Syracuse (N.Y.) salt bag.

And in fact we still eat salt potatoes here, which are new potatoes boiled in a vat of brine until they come out encrusted with salt.

As I always like to say... "If God didn't want us to build a city in the snow belt then why did He put all that (road) salt under it???"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.