Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:55 AM

383 posts, read 340,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What makes you think your life will improve by moving to America?
He had live there by her job (H1). Aslo my sister and her brother are living in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
May I ask...how are you legally coming to the US? Who is sponsoring you?
We are coming with B1 so we have several ways to stay legally. One of them is H1b when my (and my wifes) employers will be able to do it. But there are so many thing to do before it...
If it wont be done succesfull we have fallback. I asure you we wont be live as illegal.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:28 AM

jessemh431
Thank for reply! We`r from Chezh republic but also we have Russian roots (we were born in Moscow).
Due to great problems in both economics in EU and Russia we`ve decided to move in USA (in addition we have our most closer relatives there - my sister and wife`s brother).

When i started this thread i did not mean all what i wrote must been exactly have done)) For example i can`t stand of snow and cold but if it will just a few days per year it is OK)
Actually our employers are in Altanta so if we will be given the offers we moving to Atlanta.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Do you speak English or are you using a translation program?

Old 04-05-2016, 07:40 AM

Both! I`m afraid of seriuos mistakes which could affect to the meaning so first of all i print the text and then i correct it with translation program. Also i often meet here some unknown words (like a phrasal verbs) that need to be translated)
Why you asked about it? i`ve made mistakes?

Last edited by pepsik; 04-05-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 07:50 AM

27,262 posts, read 28,317,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Both! My English is pre-intermediate. Almost all that i write is without translator prog. But sometimes when i forgot the word either i want to check myself i use the translator.
Why you asked about it? I`ve made many mistakes?
It's okay. You know far better English than 99% of Americans would know Czech. :-)

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
We can understand you, don't worry about it. Lots of accents here. You're doing fine. My grandparents were from Eastern Europe just a couple of generations ago.

I think you chose the cities you have mentioned because they get a lot of publicity both in the US and overseas so those are the ones about which you have heard. But what you might not know is that they are the most popular for people who wish to relocate within the US as well so that's what makes them the most expensive. I just relocated from Portland to Cleveland because I no longer afford to live there with the cost of living having gone up so high.

But there are plenty of other places in which you can live that don't get written about that are just as good as the ones you may have read about. You might have to put up with weather you don't like at first but once you are here you can see for yourself by traveling around on vacation many other cities that may suit you better and relocate again. Many people do that.

I have never been to Atlanta but if you can get a job there, I have heard it's nice. Maybe others can give you ideas about it. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,996,121 times
Quote:
Both! I`m afraid of seriuos mistakes which could affect to the meaning so first of all i print the text and then i correct it with translation program. Also i often meet here some unknown words (like a phrasal verbs) that need to be translated)
Why you asked about it? i`ve made mistakes?
Just thought it might be in your best interest to learn English if you want to do more than "moving, cleaning, painting, UBERing".Obviously you are making many mistakes or i wouldnt have brought up the topic.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,951,941 times
Quote:
We are coming with B1 so we have several ways to stay legally. One of them is H1b when my (and my wifes) employers will be able to do it. But there are so many thing to do before it...
If it wont be done succesfull we have fallback. I asure you we wont be live as illegal.
Have you actually researched visas? It appears you are not taking that part of your plans seriously, as a B-1 is only a tourist visa, NO EMPLOYMENT ALLOWED. If you ever work on one you will be subject to deportation and a ban on returning to the US. It only is good for 180 days.

Your sister or brother can sponsor you---only if they are full citizens (not LPR's) and it takes about 14 years!

And you understand that you CANNOT get an H-1b visa while in the US. That visa can only be obtained while you are in your home country. And they are capped, and are already gone for 2017, so you are looking at 2018 maybe.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,250,408 times
Quote:
jessemh431
Thank for reply! We`r from Chezh republic but also we have Russian roots (we were born in Moscow).
Due to great problems in both economics in EU and Russia we`ve decided to move in USA (in addition we have our most closer relatives there - my sister and wife`s brother).

When i started this thread i did not mean all what i wrote must been exactly have done)) For example i can`t stand of snow and cold but if it will just a few days per year it is OK)
Actually our employers are in Altanta so if we will be given the offers we moving to Atlanta.
I understand. My family immigration from Poland and Russia. Ya govoryu porusski ochen plocho haha

If your employer is in Atlanta, you will love it there. It is a big city with a strong economy. It is diverse, so you won't have much trouble being an immigrant there. The summers can get hot. There are days over 100F and many over 90F. But if you are coming from the Czech Republic, you probably are not used to how the United States handles summer. Every building in Atlanta will have very good air conditioning. In cities that get hot in summers, there are almost no apartments, homes, restaurants, stores, etc. that do not have good air conditioning. So while it will be hot outside, inside your home will be fine. I lived in Madrid and Bologna for one year and I remember how hot it will be INSIDE a home or restaurant in summer. That does not happen in the US. It seems like it is more common in Europe with the buildings being much older and the owners don't install good air conditioning systems (or can't because of how the building was made). A lot of homes and apartment complexes have pools there also.

In winter, Atlanta will only have a few days of now. NOTHING like the Czech Republic or Eastern Europe. It can snow for days and be below freezing for a very long period of time in Eastern Europe. This will not happen in Atlanta. Temperatures at night may go below freezing for a few days in a row, but high temperatures that don't get above freezing are not common there. The amount of snow Atlanta gets is basically nothing compared to where you come from. And when it does snow, the entire city stops functioning, so you won't have to worry about going to work in the snow.

I think if your employer offers you a job in Atlanta, you should definitely take it! It might not be the perfect city for you, but you will definitely like it. Housing is cheap compared to the other cities you listed (Portland, San Diego, Austin, etc.). It doesn't get as hot as Austin or as cold as Portland.

If your sister and your wife's brother already live in the US, they may be able to sponsor your visa and bring you here legally. Where are they located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.