Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state best represents the "Wild West"?
Washington 0 0%
Idaho 0 0%
Montana 4 5.48%
Oregon 0 0%
Wyoming 35 47.95%
California 3 4.11%
Nevada 9 12.33%
Utah 1 1.37%
Colorado 1 1.37%
Arizona 13 17.81%
New Mexico 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:08 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,829,293 times

Advertisements

Title kind of says it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:40 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,062,900 times
Seems like Nevada

Old 03-31-2016, 06:05 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,764,752 times
I voted California. Not being a homer or anything, but I had actually just read a blog that stated LA had a secret history of being the wildest cowtown in the west from the early 1800's until the 1890's. It claimed that LA had a murder rate as high as 1,200 per 100k residents, and that there were times that a murder would occur in LA every single day. It also said that during this time, Los Angeles had the highest homicide rate in all of American history, but I don't know how true that actually is.

Apparently the high crime stemmed from the fact that LA was kind of a haven for criminals who were banished from the gold mining camps, and how common it was to experience lynchings, shootouts, bank robberies, etc.

Here's a link to the blog: LA Cowboy: How Los Angeles Invented the Wild West (and why no one knows it!) TWO MORE TOURS ADDED THIS WEEKEND!

Aside from that, the Gold Rush era was the epitome of "the Wild West", and ghostowns like Bodie, Calico, Deadwood, along with countless other lesser known ones really make a good case.

Old Western movies, which overrepresent the desert locations of that era, will probably play a big part in how the poll turns out, though.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,829,293 times
How is Wyoming winning the thread? I always think of the Southwest when I think of the Wild West but then again I live there so... My mind thinks of Tombstone

I just want to know why people think Wyoming... Is there a certain history I don't know about?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,094,411 times
I think one aspect may be of how sparsely populated Wyoming is, which many people equates with or leads to the "Wild West" vibe.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:49 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,563,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
How is Wyoming winning the thread? I always think of the Southwest when I think of the Wild West but then again I live there so... My mind thinks of Tombstone

I just want to know why people think Wyoming... Is there a certain history I don't know about?
I think of Deadwood, Cowboys, ranchers, wide open spaces. Wyoming fits the bill.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,056,886 times
Maybe it's not the Wild West here in SoCal, but big tumbleweeds blow down the freeways every fall, and I always smile at thought of those old Western movies.

Come to think of it, most of those movies were filmed on the more than 20 local "movie ranches" of Los Angeles and Ventura Counties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_ranch

Old 04-02-2016, 07:08 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,515,600 times
Arizona or New Mexico should win this.

Also, Oklahoma and probably Texas need to be on this list.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,339,325 times
I was thinking Nevada because of Sin City and Reno and the death valley, and of course the Donner Party

Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,399,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Arizona or New Mexico should win this.

Also, Oklahoma and probably Texas need to be on this list.
As should Kansas, which, IMO, was the epitome of the wild west that most of Hollywood liked to make movies about. Wide open plains, farmers, drovers and cattle drives, wild murderous cow towns, outlaws hiding out in the open, railroads, hail storms and tornados, constant conflict with indigenous people, wagon trains, the Sante Fe Trail, the Chisolm Trail, the Oregon Trail, the Pony Express, The Overland Stage trail, border wars with Missouri, gunslingers like Wild Bill, Wyatt Earp, John Hardin, places like Abiline, Dodge City, Ft Hays. The list could go on.

The geography of Kansas meant that the situation, the people and their conflicts took center stage in a number of events from 1830-1870. But by that the latter parts of that time, Kansas was really cleaning up its act and all the wildness was being pushed out to points north, west, and south. Wyoming and Montana saw the culimination of the Plains Indian wars, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada had their gold rushes and resulting environmental and people conflicts, and the pop culture of the time was migrating with them all creating the myths we perceive as western now, leaving Kansas is a side note in that perception.

Now days, I think the general public perception of the wild west would be the wide open spaces, boots and hats, and pick up trucks that would lean heavily towards Texas, Wyoming, and Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.