Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

Just curious as to what people feel is the most booming major metropolitan area in the entire Midwestern United States. For "major" I suppose you can include everywhere the size of Des Moines CSA (770,000) or Madison CSA (860,000) and larger.

Factors to include (but not limited to);

- Population growth

- Economic growth

- Expansion in infrastructure (airports, roads, public transit trains and systems, bike lanes, trails, so on)

- Elevation of the city's profile nationally or internationally

- Private investment uptick

- Inclusion of more amenities and services

- Ascension in the research and development or ascension in the academic profile of major colleges and/or universities in the metropolitan area

If you can think of anything else that defines a booming city, then feel free to consider it and add it. I don't care, the criteria is just there to get you to start thinking about what is booming and what is not, but the discussion is not limited to just the criteria. If there is something you feel that can be added that I missed, by all means, add it in.

So in your opinion (or with facts; whichever one), which Midwestern metropolitan area is booming the most these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:17 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
I guess Minneapolis, Columbus and Indianapolis would be the best candidates? None are really booming, but all are outliers in terms of relative population/economic growth.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Minneapolis is probably the winner here.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM

59 posts, read 87,289 times
Should have added a poll but Minneapolis is probably the winner. Who's 2-5 would be interesting, too.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:35 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Is Minneapolis really booming? Like I know it was doing fairly well for itself a few years ago, but I feel like it's kind of slowed a bit. I mean, it kind of tells you the state of the Midwest when Minneapolis, a remote city in a very cold climate is the most "booming" city. Compare it to the peer city of the Denver and you'll see what booming is.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:58 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Is Minneapolis really booming? Like I know it was doing fairly well for itself a few years ago, but I feel like it's kind of slowed a bit. I mean, it kind of tells you the state of the Midwest when Minneapolis, a remote city in a very cold climate is the most "booming" city. Compare it to the peer city of the Denver and you'll see what booming is.
Denver is even more "remote", I believe. Very cold...maybe three months out of the year, the rest is just fine. I've spent a lot of time in Denver, and it's not exactly a tropical climate.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:00 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
Relative to other midwest metro's, I'd say these

Des moines - seems to be an outlier with population growth, compared to the rest
Columbus
Grand Rapids
Minneapolis
Indianapolis
Madison
Omaha - considered midwest? Idk

Old 04-04-2016, 03:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
I would say Des Moines actually as well as Columbus and Minneapolis/St. Paul.
Des Moines seems to be exploding the last decade (by Midwest standards), especially the western suburbs.
Columbus always seems to be growing at a nice clip, especially compared to other Ohio metro areas.
Minneapolis /St. Paul not as much as they were a decade ago when growth was hot an almost out of control for Midwest standards, but it has leveled off and could hopefully improve a little.
I guess Omaha used to be about a decade ago as well, but has slowed down- especially with ConAgra leaving, that's not going to help things. On a side note (I know its smaller than the range for this discussion) but Lincoln has always had nice growth over the decades.
Most "booming" metros in the Midwest seem to have the Capital/University presence theme going on.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:39 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,972 times
Fargo is smaller but due to local oil/gas industry is growing quickly. Minneapolis isn't growing as fast but is 'coming into its own' in many ways (new light rail, new stadiums, tons of condo development in older neighborhoods, very low unemployment etc...). Basically separating itself from other mid-sized metros.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:05 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Minneapolis. Easy. But Columbus is doing pretty good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.