Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the most culture?
Los Angeles 16 7.48%
New York city 112 52.34%
Chicago 12 5.61%
New orleans 32 14.95%
Miami 4 1.87%
Seattle 8 3.74%
Nashville 4 1.87%
Houston 9 4.21%
Washington D.C. 17 7.94%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

I'm sure Detroit has its share of cultures, but there are TONS of middle eastern people here in Queens. Take a ride on the 7 train, also known as the "International express," and see all the different neighborhoods. Also, a walk along Steinway St will show you all the different cultures in the middle east
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 9,910 times
Quote:
I'm sure Detroit has its share of cultures
right...

Quote:
Lets start here...now refute.
I am not the one arrogantly saying
Quote:
NYC.....it's not even a contest.
. The burden of proof is on you. If you intend on convincing me that "its not even a contest" I would suggest you start by defining what constitutes culture. NYC has a lot of money. That money buys a lot of culture. I don't believe New York has any more culture than anywhere else just more money and more people (and the mostest great largest arrogant population).

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
I heard there are a lot of middle eastern people in Iraq?

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItSaulBS View Post
right...

I am not the one arrogantly saying . The burden of proof is on you. If you intend on convincing me that "its not even a contest" I would suggest you start by defining what constitutes culture. NYC has a lot of money. That money buys a lot of culture. I don't believe New York has any more culture than anywhere else just more money and more people (and the mostest great largest arrogant population).
I see you want to redefine culture to suite you. Ok what is it that we need to show you NYC has more of?? Lets hear it since instead of countering with substance you countered with nothing. I provided back up to my statement now back yours up.

You NYer hate is pretty pathetic.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:37 PM

I've never been to NYC. I would like to visit sometime. I want to see if NYC lives up to all the hype. I want to see if I can get into the "New York state of mind".

Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Next time any of you are in NYC, take the 7 train through Queens and get off at different stops. It's known as the "International express" train because it goes through about 100s of different ethnic neighborhoods. And this is only in a span of about 2 miles. Here are some pictures:

An AWESOME Filipino grocery store I love going to, in the Little Manila section:

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
I see you want to redefine culture to suite you.
You do? Where? I asked you to
Quote:
start by defining what constitutes culture
Quote:
You NYer hate is pretty pathetic.
What NYer hate? I simply asked you to prove that it is
Quote:
NYC.....it's not even a contest.
You said that so arrogantly that i assume it would be easy for you to prove. I didn't even dispute that New York City may be the city with the most culture. I am disputing that it is taken for granted.

NYer's are people the same as everyone else. Being an NYer doesn't make you superhuman. I'm sure New York is great for you. I am happy for you. I don't hate NYer's (nor any grouping of people be it regional or any other).

You have accused me of hating people based on where they are from. That is an outrageous slander and I would like to see you prove it. You have called me pathetic. I would like to let all NYer's know that I do not hold them accountable for your misconduct even though you presume to speak for them. I judge people as people not as NYer's or DCer's or LAer's or anything else. It is your(not all NYer's - don't put words in my mouth) arrogance that leads you to believe anyone outside of NY thinks about NYer's anymore than they think about people in Fargo, ND, Bangor, ME or Spokane, WA.

Quote:
Ok what is it that we need to show you NYC has more of?? Lets hear it since instead of countering with substance you countered with nothing. I provided back up to my statement now back yours up.
Where is the substance to counter? Read the following very carefully as it is the third and last time I will post it.
Quote:
start by defining what constitutes culture
If you are not qualified to support your arrogant statement, I forgive you. I wont assume that your statement cant be proven. I will just assume that you do not have the education to prove it yourself. You don't have to resort to personal attacks or attempt to paint me as something I am definitely not.

I would enjoy a discussion on culture. If you want to participate please do. If you can't, you can't. Its not the end of the world. It doesn't mean you are stupid. It means you need to spend more time reading and less time arrogantly speaking. Pay your dues, don't assume because you live in NY you went to Columbia.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Next time any of you are in NYC, take the 7 train through Queens and get off at different stops. It's known as the "International express" train because it goes through about 100s of different ethnic neighborhoods. And this is only in a span of about 2 miles. Here are some pictures:

An AWESOME Filipino grocery store I love going to, in the Little Manila section:

Nice pictures. I like going to the different ethnic neighborhoods in big cities. It's like when you go to those neighborhoods you're hitting multiple countries without having to leave the city.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The pictures are great. Mathematically I am confused. You said 2 miles (10,560ft = 2 X 5280ft). 10,560/100 (you are saying 100's) = 105.6ft. That doesn't sound like much of a neighborhood if it is only 105.6ft wide. You said "100's" which to me would mean at least 200 hundred which would make these neighborhoods 52.8 ft wide at the absolute most? I see the pictures and it is obviously very diverse (don't get me wrong). I am just wondering whether "100's" is perhaps an exaggeration?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:17 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Quote:
You do? Where? I asked you to .
What NYer hate? I simply asked you to prove that it is You said that so arrogantly that i assume it would be easy for you to prove. I didn't even dispute that New York City may be the city with the most culture. I am disputing that it is taken for granted.
You acted as if I didn't provide evidence of my statement.... You ignored instead of acknowledged it and either provided a counter or posted what you thought of as culture and gave a supporting argument to your opinion.

Quote:
NYer's are people the same as everyone else. Being an NYer doesn't make you superhuman. I'm sure New York is great for you. I am happy for you. I don't hate NYer's (nor any grouping of people be it regional or any other).
Yet yousaid we are the most arrogant???? You are unwilling to accept that there is a reason NYC is cream of the crop when it comes to being tops in categories that you merely call us arrogant instead of countering evidence presented to you.
Quote:
You have accused me of hating people based on where they are from. That is an outrageous slander and I would like to see you prove it. You have called me pathetic. I would like to let all NYer's know that I do not hold them accountable for your misconduct even though you presume to speak for them. I judge people as people not as NYer's or DCer's or LAer's or anything else. It is your(not all NYer's - don't put words in my mouth) arrogance that leads you to believe anyone outside of NY thinks about NYer's anymore than they think about people in Fargo, ND, Bangor, ME or Spokane, WA.
I judged yo based on your words.
Quote:
great largest arrogant population
Quote:
Where is the substance to counter? Read the following very carefully as it is the third and last time I will post it.
Here!
Quote:
New York is the most populous city in the United States, with an estimated 2005 population of 8,213,839 (up from 7.3 million in 1990).[4] New York's two key demographic features are its population density and cultural diversity. The city's population density of 26,403 people per square mile (10,194/km²), makes it the densest of any American municipality with a population above 100,000.[5] Manhattan's population density is 66,940 people per square mile (25,846/km²), highest of any county in the United States.[6][7]
New York City is exceptionally diverse. Throughout its history the city has been a major point of entry for immigrants; the term "melting pot" was first coined to describe densely populated immigrant neighborhoods on the Lower East Side. 36% of the city's population is foreign-born.[2] Among US cities, this proportion is higher only in Los Angeles and Miami.[7] While the immigrant communities in those cities are dominated by a few nationalities, in New York no single country or region of origin dominates. The ten nations constituting the largest sources of modern immigration to New York City are the Dominican Republic, China, Jamaica, Guyana, Mexico, Ecuador, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago, Colombia, and Russia.[8] About 170 languages are spoken in the city.[1]
Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
If you are not qualified to support your arrogant statement, I forgive you. I wont assume that your statement cant be proven. I will just assume that you do not have the education to prove it yourself. You don't have to resort to personal attacks or attempt to paint me as something I am definitely not
.I did you ignored it... Counter with something that proves your Detroit point... Either that or show where I'm wrong and show me how another city even poses a contest.
Quote:
I would enjoy a discussion on culture. If you want to participate please do. If you can't, you can't. Its not the end of the world. It doesn't mean you are stupid. It means you need to spend more time reading and less time arrogantly speaking. Pay your dues, don't assume because you live in NY you went to Columbia.
I would also enjoy the conversation on culture. Don't assume to know anything about me..I backed up my statement and you have yet to back yours up. My arrogant statement comes with evidence. If you can't provide any for your statement about Detroit then you show it' an ignorant statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.