Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating: college graduate, affordable, job market, four seasons, business degree.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM

24 posts, read 92,169 times

Advertisements

I can't believe how helpful you've all been so far. I've got a ton to think about. Right now I feel like I've "narrowed" it to Tampa and Denver as the frontrunners, followed closely by Austin and Nashville.

The issue with Austin is I'm concerned with walkability. I can't afford to live downtown, and I can't seem to get an accurate read on whether or not SoCo is very walkable. Hyde Park is another option there, but I havent' explored it too much. At this point in time, I'd prefer to be closer to the action than where Hyde Park is.

Nashville also seems really cool, but I think I just don't have enough information on it. I've read a ton about Tampa, and theres a buzz these days about Denver and Austin, but Nashville seems very under the radar. While thats a good thing for sure, I want to make sure it really is everything I'm looking for.

One poster mentioned Chicago, and while I've heard nothing but good things about that place, I really would like to stay away from that weather for awhile. Also Louisville and Omaha have been mentioned as well, and I haven't begun to research them fully, but Louisville folks seem to be incredibly proud of where they live. That's encouraging. Someone in this thread described it as the "next austin." Would anyone else thats been to those 2 cities describe it as such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
If it were me, I'd go with:

Portland/Denver
Charlotte
Tampa Bay/Austin

In the area of outdoor recreational activities and natural beauty, Portland and Denver are hard to beat. Both are "fantasy" cities of mine.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

well after much deliberation, I am 90% sure I am headed to Denver. Tampa isn't completely out of the picture yet, but it's definitely down to these two. The main factor has been that rent in Capitol Hill(Denver) is much more reasonable than rent in Hyde Park(Tampa). Tampa has the beautiful weather, proximity to the beach, and laid back lifestyle, but Denver has the more urban feel, the more nightlife options, and more job opportunities. Basically the only way to break the tie was to evaluate rent prices in the areas within the cities I'd like to live, and Denver won that by a long shot.

I want to thank everyone who helped as you all made my decision much easier. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Denver sounds like a good fit for you. Best of luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Columbus is a very young and vibrant city.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:17 PM

98 posts, read 314,560 times
Columbus requires a car to get anywhere, no major public transportation except the local busline which is enter at your own risk, annual snowfall is 30 inches and it's cold and cloudy most of the time.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 PM

119 posts, read 835,097 times
Thumbs up Nashville is it

Lived in Nashville for three years, going back in four weeks. I think you would love it there.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:29 AM

100 posts, read 307,707 times
you're right, there's nothing 'sexy' about philly. philly is the definition of gritty, although if you're built for that, philly is an incredible city. dense/walkable. the most hardcore sports fans on the planet. interesting streets/architecture, some good deals to be found. weather not too extreme. good location between nyc/dc, close to your hometown.

to a southerner, downtown 'uptown' charlotte is the best. coming from up north, downtown charlotte is a joke. sure, a couple of highrise banks, a few condos, and some bars, but we're talking a couple of blocks, that's it. charlotte has a somewhat decent bus system and new light rail line (just one line). raleigh has even less of a downtown, less transit, and is even more sprawled. the population is growing fast in nc, prices are rising, so it's not exactly cheap anymore. it's either summer (very humid) or winter, forget about four seasons. good job market though.

portland is focused on proper urban planning, much less sprawled vs most of the country, nice city to walk around, has some interesting neighborhoods/architecture, decent light rail, very educated, very 'green', laid back w/out being 'slow', probably one of the whitest major cities in the country, if that makes any difference to you.

never been to austin, but i keep hearing so many great things about this place. but for the reason i mentioned w/ charlotte, i'm looking for opinions from a northeastern perspective. coming from jersey, you might want to keep that in mind when people tell you about some of these places, especially when it comes to things like walkability.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:30 PM

I actually just bit the bullet and bought a new car, so that kind of set my moving plans back a bit. It changes what I'm looking for a bit, as I now don't have much of a need for public transportation. That said, walkability is still the number 1 thing I'm looking for. I've now got a few more months to decide exactly where I'm going, as I'm going to save money through the summer and hopefully be somewhere by September 1. Denver still looks great, Tampa I go back and forth with, ditto for Nashville. Austin seems like the coolest city but I get the impression that unless you live right in the heart of the action($$$), places like South Congress aren't very pedestrian friendly. I've pretty much given up thinking about Raleigh as I haven't heard a ton of good things about the city itself. Charlotte is still an option, and I will probably visit a friend of mine down there in the coming months to check it out. I've also ruled out Portland as I really just don't think I could deal with the rain. As great as everyone claims the city is, the rain really just isn't for me. I've also tossed Atlanta and Houston into the mix. Apparently Houston has a great job market, but I really haven't been blown away by the pictures I've seen of the city, particularly midtown. Atlanta apparently has some great neighborhoods that are a bit what I'm looking for, so I will end up checking that out eventually as well. I hear it's just like a bigger, more interesting Charlotte. In the meantime, I will apply for a few jobs down in Philly and see how that goes. It's easily accessible to where I am now, so if I find something down there that sounds half-interesting, that may be the choice as well. It'd be great to be around some eagles fans for once. Thanks for all the replies so far though!

Old 03-08-2008, 02:40 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiddons View Post
I've also tossed Atlanta and Houston into the mix. Apparently Houston has a great job market, but I really haven't been blown away by the pictures I've seen of the city, particularly midtown. Atlanta apparently has some great neighborhoods that are a bit what I'm looking for, so I will end up checking that out eventually as well. I hear it's just like a bigger, more interesting Charlotte.
Since you are checking out Atlanta, I would encourage you to take a look at the following neighborhoods: Virginia Highlands, Midtown, Little Five Points, Candler Park, Grant Park, and Decatur. All of these neighborhoods are great and they are more or less a few miles east of downtown (some closer). Beyond these neighborhoods, I really don't imagine there are too many Atlanta neighborhoods that would fit the bill for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.