Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:15 AM

36,858 posts, read 17,218,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
West of the Rockies? Cheap? Probably small towns in Nevada and Arizona are the only options. There is nothing cheap in Washington, Oregon, or California.

Technically, Arizona doesn't really count as west of the Rockies, but it is geographically in the western states and some of the smaller towns are pretty reasonable and there are some attractive areas.
I'm guessing he meant a view of the Rockies and dry air. So basically Denver and all points west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 PM

9,484 posts, read 16,372,680 times
[quote=GraniteStater;43700079]NH does not have an income tax, does tax interest and dividend income, however.
TN does not have an income tax, does tax investments.[/QU

I think NH is the only state that has no income or sales tax. The revenue maker in that state is high property tax.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 22,921 times
[quote=775;43700481]Washington state extends far beyond the strip of land west of the Cascades. You do not have a high cost of living in SE Washington state. Check out the homes in Colton, Wash., where you can go north or south or northwest and get work easily enough. They even have fiber in Colton and zip for crime.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,314,992 times
I'm gonna revive this old, tired thread (guess the original op finally found what they were looking for, thank goodness), and ask:

What US cities have cheap rents (never mind taxes, that's of no interest to me) and are located in places where you won't freeze during the winters, AND aren't ultra conservative? The last one pretty much leaves out most of the Olde South, a region where I am from but have no interest in returning to unless the town was cheap and liberal, and good luck on that one.

So many places that I used to live, the cost of housing has gone sky high, so even if I wanted to return somewhere I couldn't afford it anymore. All I keep coming up w/ are places that most people wouldn't want to move to, which is why they're cheap I guess. Cheap to me is renting a big studio or 1 bdrm in a liveable part of town for $400-$500 a mo.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 23,152 times
Cost of living is low in many cities that suck sorry to say, such as Birmingham, but has a state ICT, Memphis sucks in so many ways but has no ICT, but there are smaller towns in Florida like Ocala, Winter Haven, Dunedin, Port Charlotte that are good options.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,860,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Seven U.S. states currently don't have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Yep.Limiting.
Tennessee has a tax on dividend and interest income above a certain threshold, but no tax on earned income.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:34 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,204,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Tennessee has a tax on dividend and interest income above a certain threshold, but no tax on earned income.
New Hampshire is the same as Tennessee in that regard, it has a tax on dividend and interest income, but not on earned income if you work for an employer.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,378,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I'm gonna revive this old, tired thread (guess the original op finally found what they were looking for, thank goodness), and ask:

What US cities have cheap rents (never mind taxes, that's of no interest to me) and are located in places where you won't freeze during the winters, AND aren't ultra conservative? The last one pretty much leaves out most of the Olde South, a region where I am from but have no interest in returning to unless the town was cheap and liberal, and good luck on that one.

So many places that I used to live, the cost of housing has gone sky high, so even if I wanted to return somewhere I couldn't afford it anymore. All I keep coming up w/ are places that most people wouldn't want to move to, which is why they're cheap I guess. Cheap to me is renting a big studio or 1 bdrm in a liveable part of town for $400-$500 a mo.
You can live in a bad neighborhood in Philly for that price

Old 07-17-2016, 11:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 7,521,758 times
Quote:

You'll have to define what you mean by "cities".

Because smaller cities and towns have much lower rents than large cities.

And there are a great many smaller places that fit your criteria.

So, how urban are you? Could you live in a city or town with a population under 150,000??? If so, what kind employment do you need to find? That will narrow your options down.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,892,764 times
Quote:

Tucson and Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.