Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 10:25 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times

Advertisements

Other than NYC with it's massive gentrification, extremely low shooting and homicide rates and amazing well-funded and robust public and private services tends to confront it's social problems.

Other cities for some season like Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Houston and Dallas tend to ignore any and all social problems, especially if they are not politically correct.

Most big cities tend to ignore all their pension problems, they usually ignore violent crime rate increases and they also claim that they have first-rate public schools or no homeless or poverty problems.

Los Angeles while being a very exciting place always turns a blind eye to any and all increases in social problems in their city. The West coast mentality also plays into it as any negativity is considered taboo in that cities culture.

Chicago ignores it's pension liabilties and Los Angeles ignores it's severe homeless issue.

Chicago just flat out ignores the extent of it's pension issues and claims to be a world-class city that can do no wrong. The mentality in the state which is mainly Chicago politicians is just dont pay the bills.

Las Vegas also claims perfection and that tourism is all that is needed and they will come no matter how high the violent crime rate gets.

For example, Manhattan has only had 7 homicides so far this year. Las Vegas with far less people then Manhattan has had 47 homicides but yet the LMVPD could care less.

The only very large city that tends to confront it's social problems head on is NYC, most of the others talk tough but do nothing.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-14-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM

61 posts, read 48,751 times
You hear about it more because New York is the most famous, most familiar and is the center of media. Everything that happens there is amplified.

I'm not sure cities like Houston, Phoenix, Dallas etc. ignore the problems, it's just that no one hears about them because no one cares.

Old 04-14-2016, 11:04 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
I'm sorry, am I reading an advertisement for New York City that is based on basing other cities? New York's murder rate is higher than those of San Jose, San Diego, El Paso, Seattle, and Austin. Also, Gentrification isn't usually considered a good thing for residents; gentrification "fixes" the problem by forcing the current, poor population to leave and replacing them with wealthier residents.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
1. Why is violence ignored?

Urban violence is primarily concentrated in poor, isolated, minority neighborhoods. As long as this doesn't spill over into a city's downtown/business districts or wealthier areas it is generally accepted as a fact of life (not agreeing with this line of thinking at all, just pointing out that it exists).

For example, walk on Bourbon street in New Orleans and see how many cops are patrolling the area. Cities have a finite number of resources and will naturally concentrate their resources to protect the neighborhoods that earn them revenue.

The causes of violence are also complex. Our economy has shifted from manufacturing to a service/technology based economy. Jobs simply aren't there in the same way that they used to be for working class people and job growth tends to be in sectors of the economy that require bachelors and professional degrees. On top of this economic problem throw into the mix a failing public education system in inner cities, the prevalence of drug use/trafficking, street gangs, issues with housing, higher incarceration rates, broken families etc. These problems are all intertwined with crime and there's no easy solution. So I don't think it's so much that they are being ignored, just that it is easier said than done to fix broken communities.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:56 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Other than NYC with it's massive gentrification, extremely low shooting and homicide rates and amazing well-funded and robust public and private services tends to confront it's social problems.
Washington DC has also had a massive gentrification. The city's homicide rate is 80% less than it used to be in the early 1990s.

(However, that is still way too high in the eastern half of DC in my opinion.)

Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,395,398 times
Quote:
For example, Manhattan has only had 7 homicides so far this year. Las Vegas with far less people then Manhattan has had 47 homicides but yet the LMVPD could care less.
Doesn't LVMPD serve the LV metro area and not just the city? If so those homicides come from an area as populous if not more so than Manhattan but I get your point.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:16 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
Quote:

Other cities for some season like Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Houston and Dallas tend to ignore any and all social problems, especially if they are not politically correct.

Most big cities tend to ignore all their pension problems, they usually ignore violent crime rate increases and they also claim that they have first-rate public schools or no homeless or poverty problems...

...Vegas with far less people then Manhattan has had 47 homicides but yet the LMVPD could care less.

The only very large city that tends to confront it's social problems head on is NYC, most of the others talk tough but do nothing.
All your post tells me is that you don't get out very often. Every big city attacks its big social problems that I can tell.
  • LA, Seattle, San Fran are all hardly in denial about homelessness, They're all making efforts to solve what is, for a variety of reasons, a tremendously intractable problem. Just Google it and you'll see.
  • Chicago is obsessed with its putrid police and criminal justice system which is now the focus of a damning report by the city itself. (Google it. It's very much in the news now.) And the pension liability and public school problems have been on the front-burner for years, even though they've hardly been solved. (Some of that is because solutions will undoubtedly involve state help, which may or may not come.)
  • Philly, Detroit and Baltimore have faced up to the fact that their public school systems are on the verge of collapse, and are desperately trying to find solutions.
  • DC is struggling with a 40-year-old heavy-rail public transit system that appears on the verge of collapse, and San Fran is doing the same.
  • LA, Oakland, Cleveland, and Baltimore have police that are or have been under federal supervision. Hard (but not impossible) to be effective crime fighters with so much bad history behind them.
  • New Orleans is fighting to build thousands of affordable housing units even 10 years after Katrina.

I can't speak knowledgeably about the Texas of Florida cities, or Las Vegas, but I suspect that they are not unaware of serious problems that they need to address. The idea that NYC is the only big city that faces its social ills is flattering to me--but flat-out wrong.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:35 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
All your post tells me is that you don't get out very often. Every big city attacks its big social problems that I can tell.
  • LA, Seattle, San Fran are all hardly in denial about homelessness, They're all making efforts to solve what is, for a variety of reasons, a tremendously intractable problem. Just Google it and you'll see.
  • Chicago is obsessed with its putrid police and criminal justice system which is now the focus of a damning report by the city itself. (Google it. It's very much in the news now.) And the pension liability and public school problems have been on the front-burner for years, even though they've hardly been solved. (Some of that is because solutions will undoubtedly involve state help, which may or may not come.)
  • Philly, Detroit and Baltimore have faced up to the fact that their public school systems are on the verge of collapse, and are desperately trying to find solutions.
  • DC is struggling with a 40-year-old heavy-rail public transit system that appears on the verge of collapse, and San Fran is doing the same.
  • LA, Oakland, Cleveland, and Baltimore have police that are or have been under federal supervision. Hard (but not impossible) to be effective crime fighters with so much bad history behind them.
  • New Orleans is fighting to build thousands of affordable housing units even 10 years after Katrina.

I can't speak knowledgeably about the Texas of Florida cities, or Las Vegas, but I suspect that they are not unaware of serious problems that they need to address. The idea that NYC is the only big city that faces its social ills is flattering to me--but flat-out wrong.
Dallas has been trying to ramp up its neglected school system and fix the roads (although not everyone thinks they are doing a great job on that one). Then there is Dallas trying to fix its homelessness problem in a controversial and unclear way, but it is something (and would probably count as progress for the OP, since gentrification is so celebrated by the poster).

Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:

Most big cities tend to ignore all their pension problems, they usually ignore violent crime rate increases and they also claim that they have first-rate public schools or no homeless or poverty problems.

Los Angeles while being a very exciting place always turns a blind eye to any and all increases in social problems in their city. The West coast mentality also plays into it as any negativity is considered taboo in that cities culture.

Chicago ignores it's pension liabilties and Los Angeles ignores it's severe homeless issue.

Chicago just flat out ignores the extent of it's pension issues and claims to be a world-class city that can do no wrong. The mentality in the state which is mainly Chicago politicians is just dont pay the bills.

Las Vegas also claims perfection and that tourism is all that is needed and they will come no matter how high the violent crime rate gets.

To show possession, the word that you should have written is its, NOT it's, a contraction of it is, or it has.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:53 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post

I keep hearing these statements about "trying to find solutions", "fighting to build" and "making efforts".
If there is no tangible results they are not trying, they are not making efforts.

Finding a solution speaks much louder then words. Doing a one-liner once in a blue-moon like certain cities such as Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Chicago and Philadelphia is not a long-term fix.

Private companies are based on metrics and so should the government. Trying to find solutions is not the same as a solution by itself. Making efforts is not the same as fixing the problem.

I think there are cities like NYC and Boston who actually find long-term measurable solutions to their problems. NYC has the magic recipe for safety as even Toronto has a higher homicide rate then NYC.
Boston is also a miracle city when it comes to fixing issues.

There are cities like San Diego, San Jose and Seattle that also don't have have had few problems even needing a solution on a large scale.

I have been to some of these cities with lots of problems and they just shove everything under the rug.
-Los Angeles could care less about it's homeless problem no matter how bad it gets. The Mayor lives in a very rich yuppie neighborhood and could care less.

-Las Vegas with a massively increasing violent crime rate and the worst neighborhoods are a mile or less from the strip also dismisses any criticism over it's homicide rate which is 6 times higher then Manhattan.

-Las Vegas despite all the crime on strip is large absent of police. I can walk the strip for hours and see maybe 2 cops. Unlike NYC which has a magical formula for safety, Las Vegas could care less about the tourists and citizens.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 04-15-2016 at 04:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.