Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:08 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,891,613 times

Advertisements

It seems everyone on this website is strongly anti-graffiti. Not only that- people use it as a reason to fear neighborhoods and public transit systems. Is graffiti really a judge of how bad a neighborhood is? In my opinion no. Graffiti is found in any urban area. I think well-done graffiti makes the urban landscape 100 times more interesting and dare-i-say beautiful. When you ride on a train and look out the window and see the art going by- ya, that's great. It's not really a gang thing any more. It's straight-up art and usually the people doing it are fairly upstanding citizens- in my experience.

Just wondering if anyone else out there enjoys seeing a well-painted piece thrown up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,818,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
It seems everyone on this website is strongly anti-graffiti. Not only that- people use it as a reason to fear neighborhoods and public transit systems. Is graffiti really a judge of how bad a neighborhood is? In my opinion no. Graffiti is found in any urban area. I think well-done graffiti makes the urban landscape 100 times more interesting and dare-i-say beautiful. When you ride on a train and look out the window and see the art going by- ya, that's great. It's not really a gang thing any more. It's straight-up art and usually the people doing it are fairly upstanding citizens- in my experience.

Just wondering if anyone else out there enjoys seeing a well-painted piece thrown up.
I'm not sure where you're from, but in these parts, it's strictly gang, or gang-wannabe's, related. Not many of them upstanding, I'm guessing. Graffiti very much tells the kind of neighborhood you're in.
Not much of anything keeps me from going to certain parts of town, though, only if there's nothing to do there.
Personally, I think that some of it is quite creative, but most is hideous, and often hate-mongering. It also shows a lack of respect for other people's property... hence the worse neighborhoods... thievery and all that.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,967 times
Your not really gonna find this in the hood. This is the glamourized stuff done by real artists. This is usually commisioned by the owner of the property.

This is the real stuff, it looks like garbage. It is done on private property, and it promotes gang violence. It is not done for artistic purpose, it is done to show people "we are here, and we run this area".

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,818,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Your not really gonna find this in the hood. This is the glamourized stuff done by real artists. This is usually commisioned by the owner of the property.

If it's commissioned by the property owner, then this is a mural, not graffiti.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,862,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If it's commissioned by the property owner, then this is a mural, not graffiti.
You get the point though, its graffiti art. I think that is the stuff the op likes, unless he is proponent of MS 13. I dunno.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,294,328 times
graffiti =! tagging

Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,667,849 times
Most grafitti in my town is destroyed, but there is a designated area downtown called "Art Alley".

Many local artist are allowed to tag up the entire alleyway between two busy one-way streets in the oldest part of town. It's really pretty and I wish I had some pictures of it.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,152,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
graffiti =! tagging
Graffiti=writing. Only toys tag. Some graf writers do get permission, but most of what you see is still done illegally. Too many people think that all graffiti is gang related, but most can't tell the difference.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:45 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,986,119 times
Graffiti over here is a criminal act. Many of these tags are gang members tagging their turf. NYC has alot of graffiti. But, true to it's nature, most of the graffiti is found in the high-crime, low income sections of the city. The really nice neighborhoods have no graffiti. That is all I need to know.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

Maybe it's not really a gang thing any more wherever you live. Here, it still is. And cleaning it up promptly when it appears and generally keeping it under control is a way of telling the gangs that the neighborhood is not going to let them move in unnoticed or without putting up resistance. If you allow it to get out of control, it says to the gangs, "we don't have enough pride in our neighborhood to care whether or not you come in here and do what you will." It's not good for business and it's not good for the neighborhood's quality of life. Around here, a lack of civic pride can make the difference between whether a marginal neighborhood hangs on or loses its grip.

Even if you accept the argument that it has nothing to do with gangs, there is little I hate more than a lack of respect for people's property and dignity. People work hard for the property they own, and they are entitled to have the first and last say in its use. Spraypainting someone's building without their consent is rude and it's costly. If I ever catch someone using my building or garage as their canvass, I'll kick their goddamn face in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.