Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:15 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,867,540 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas and each city has one thing in common and that's the rush of people from Chicago and Illinois who seem to do leaving in droves

I was in Florida and in Sarasota it had many people with Chicago accents in it.

It seems like no matter where I go there is a tsunami of people escaping Chicago for a better life.

It seems as though even in places like Vegas and Phoenix there are more Chicago accents then people from Los Angeles.

Any one else's city also experiencing a influx of people from Chicago moving to there city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
This should actually be in the Illinois forum but... In Kansas City there are a LOT of Chicago transplants.

However, I completely disagree about Denver Phoenix and Las Vegas having the most transplants from Chicago. There are FAR more California transplants in all three of those cities, and it's not really close. One obvious reason is that California's population is 3 times that of Illinois and there are just as many reasons for people to want to leave California. There just isn't as large of a perception that people are leaving California in droves (which they are) because there is high immigration to California which makes up for domestic population hemorrhaging. There isn't as much immigration to Chicagoland to mask that.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:00 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have lived in Phoenix, Denver and Las Vegas and each city has one thing in common and that's the rush of people from Chicago and Illinois who seem to do leaving in droves

It seems like no matter where I go there is a tsunami of people escaping Chicago for a better life.

It seems as though even in places like Vegas and Phoenix there are more Chicago accents then people from Los Angeles.

Any one else's city also experiencing a influx of people from Chicago moving to there city?
I can't comment on how many people are currently leaving Chicago or Illinois, but wow I have to agree about Sarasota. I was there the last two weeks and I'd venture to say 25% of the people I talked to were from Chicago or its suburbs.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Premature Chicago grave dancing seems to be one of his forum's favorite pastimes. Chicago remains an alpha plus world city. It is at worst, the third or fourth most important city in the country. Only New York tops it for urbanity. Crime is fairly isolated on the south and west sides. The cost-of-living is low, and the job market strong. When comparing comparable neighborhoods, it's housing costs are lower than Charlotte or Baltimore.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

You assume people in these cities are from Chicago because of their "accents" People from colder climates travel, or spend a couple months a year in Arizona or Florida...maybe that's what you "heard?" Life in Chicago is just fine. Wrong forum, too.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I can't comment on how many people are currently leaving Chicago or Illinois, but wow I have to agree about Sarasota. I was there the last two weeks and I'd venture to say 25% of the people I talked to were from Chicago or its suburbs.
There for spring break???? Yes, many from Wisconsin are there in March and April, too.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
There for spring break???? Yes, many from Wisconsin are there in March and April, too.
Elderly mainly.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:57 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Premature Chicago grave dancing seems to be one of his forum's favorite pastimes. Chicago remains an alpha plus world city. It is at worst, the third or fourth most important city in the country. Only New York tops it for urbanity. Crime is fairly isolated on the south and west sides. The cost-of-living is low, and the job market strong. When comparing comparable neighborhoods, it's housing costs are lower than Charlotte or Baltimore.
It's a great city and its not the next Detroit as some have claimed but there are very real structural issues in the city and the state. The state pulled an Office Soace and just decided to not pay their bills anymore Illinois budget fix: Just don't pay the bills

The pension crisis is legit. Chicago keeps hiking taxes. Infrastructure is going grossly unimproved. And for the first year the Chicago metro had a net loss of population.

I moved last summer back to MN from Chicago area after being there for 10 years. I'm 33, young family, promising career. When we rented a one-way moving truck I had to go to Northwest Indiana (and I lived in the NW burbs of Chicago) just to find a truck. Every rental place said 'we have way more people moving out of state and can't keep enough one ways coming back.'

I just couldn't see us hitching our families long term future to a state that's failing.

BUT... There are still economic, cultural and social opportunities there that can't be replicated outside of NYC. It is a world class city. My opinion is that the middle class will largely be pushed out. Areas of affluence (like North Side, North Shore burbs, West burbs) will remain largely the same. And low income areas can't get much worse (south and west side of the city). But reasonable middle class existence? I'm very bearish on that in Chicagoland TBH. Most of my friends who are still there that are our age wish they could move but because of family/career they feel stuck.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Elderly mainly.

No families. I said spring break...that's when kids are off from school. I didn't mean snowbirds.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 AM

296 posts, read 319,489 times
I'll be leaving in ~2 years. Just done with the Midwest in general, I think it's slowly killing me. Can't take these 6 month winters anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.