Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:56 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I moved to Indianapolis two years ago for a job offer. I doubled my salary from what it was and accepted a better role here in February. I've never been "sold" on this area - there's nothing in the way of natural scenery here and crime is through the roof (six murders since Friday alone). I'm tired of renting and have thought about buying property here, but part of me is very hesitant as this is not a place I'd really want to be, as I have no personal ties here and there's no real attraction other than the decent economy.

Staying here feels like settling - it's like a shoe that you know doesn't fit exactly properly , but you've worn it enough to be familiar with it. After two years, it's not gelling much better than it did in the fast two months.

Where do you draw the "line in the sand" about hitching your wagons to a place that just doesn't feel right? Did you end up having to settle or go where you wanted to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I sort of lucked out. I thought I was going to have to settle with Kansas City for my career. It was going to be a stepping stone place for me, a year tops for experience and then onto bigger and better things. I ended up really liking it here though and now I'm on my third year. I won't be staying forever as I will eventually need to be back in a larger city for my job, but right now I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,427,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Where do you draw the "line in the sand" about hitching your wagons to a place that just doesn't feel right? Did you end up having to settle or go where you wanted to?
It sounds like the line has been drawn for you; start applying to other positions, and see what happens.

I'm one of those college students living at home. I have a fulltime job, but I'm studying to get into law school, so it doesn't make sense to move before then.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I moved for personal reasons, but knew I at least enjoyed visiting the area. I was laid off from the first job I took here and was afraid I might have to consider leaving. Fortunately I got a job that is way better than the last one and I actually enjoy it. I love the area and am happy where I am. The size, scenery and weather all suit me. I don't feel that I settled at all.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:22 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I moved to Indianapolis two years ago for a job offer. I doubled my salary from what it was and accepted a better role here in February. I've never been "sold" on this area - there's nothing in the way of natural scenery here and crime is through the roof (six murders since Friday alone). I'm tired of renting and have thought about buying property here, but part of me is very hesitant as this is not a place I'd really want to be, as I have no personal ties here and there's no real attraction other than the decent economy.

Staying here feels like settling - it's like a shoe that you know doesn't fit exactly properly , but you've worn it enough to be familiar with it. After two years, it's not gelling much better than it did in the fast two months.

I can certainly understand that scenery and climate isn't much of a draw to Indianapolis, but is violent crime truly high compared to other metropolitan areas? I would think Noblesville/Hamilton County are well removed from the rough sections of the area regardless.

As a middle aged working adult, Atlanta suits me well based on the relatively low cost of living, decent career opportunities, and fairly warm but not overly extreme weather. I don't like the heavy traffic and the disorganized development patterns of much of the area, but there are plenty of worse places. It probably will suit me less when the time comes for retirement than it does today, but I wouldn't rule out pursuing career opportunities elsewhere if the right options arise.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
I got really lucky. I had identified Rhode Island as an ideal place for relocation from New York City. It was comparatively inexpensive while still being within easy driving distance of New York, it was charming, beautiful, near the water, Providence is an underrated city, Boston is only an hour away for a bigger city, the weather is mild for New England, great food scene, strong in the arts, reasonably diverse, very safe.

It seemed to have everything going for it -- except jobs, so I dropped the idea for a couple of years. Then, when I finally decided to pull the trigger on a move, thinking I'd end up in California, I found a great job listing in Rhode Island, and all it takes is one.

OP, if Indy isn't cutting it for you and you're unattached, I would advise you to leave.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:43 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,460 times
I moved back to Twin Cities from Chicagoland with my wife and 2 young girls. I love MN but we were very serious about exploring somewhere else, warmer, with mountains or ocean. We considered Tennessee, California, Colorado, North Carolina, Washington. Chose Twin Cities because 1. It's a tremendous place to raise a family and 2. We have family in MN and IL so no one is more than a 1/2 days drive or 1 hour flight.

With kids, family trumps natural beauty. MN has some wonderful areas but as soon as the kids are out of the house we plan to live somewhere different. We are especially smitten with the Bay Area. That assumes of course we can bank enough in our careers to afford that!

Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I can certainly understand that scenery and climate isn't much of a draw to Indianapolis, but is violent crime truly high compared to other metropolitan areas? I would think Noblesville/Hamilton County are well removed from the rough sections of the area regardless.

As a middle aged working adult, Atlanta suits me well based on the relatively low cost of living, decent career opportunities, and fairly warm but not overly extreme weather. I don't like the heavy traffic and the disorganized development patterns of much of the area, but there are plenty of worse places. It probably will suit me less when the time comes for retirement than it does today, but I wouldn't rule out pursuing career opportunities elsewhere if the right options arise.
Indy has already had 36 murders this year, with six coming just this weekend. As the weather warms up, it's just going to get worse.

Sure, Hamilton County is fine, but when the anchor city is becoming this bad, it doesn't give you a lot of confidence moving forward.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I didn't really plan on moving to Pittsburgh. I was out of work and my dream job came along, so I moved here with trepidation. Ended up loving it. I'm sometimes regretful I didn't end up in a bigger city along the East Coast, but I wouldn't have been able to buy my first house for $53,000 in any of those cities.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Riverside, CA native. Always dreamed about settling somewhere else.

1) Moved to Ridgecrest, CA, semi-unwillingly, but moved with the idea of saving money to move on to somewhere else. Thought it would be the small-town/easy life/more genuine inland-CA life I romanticized. Conclusion: though I met my wife/life-long friends there, it was nothing like I had imagined (), nor could I imagine having stayed there forever.

2) Moved to Denver, CO. Was my dream place, thought it would be everything I hoped for and more. Works great on paper (it does indeed have most everything I ever wanted), but not necessarily in implementation (there are pretty glaring omissions come to find out, at least for me). Conclusion: here 9 years now, settled into a home and career, don't see a way out until I reach very wealthy-status (the thought of buying my rich-guy house here makes me shudder); very little here touches my soul overall. Settling for now.

3) Moved to Spokane, WA. Was on my initial reaching-adulthood relocation list, but unfounded fears of it lacking diversity pushed it down the list. Moved there on a job transfer from Denver, without definite plans of staying there for good (plan was to get transferred again with the company to Seattle). After being there a month, I was smitten. Only ended up staying 6 months (got transferred back to Denver), but Spokane is definitely like the girl that got away for me. Conclusion: Do not know if it would have truly been my forever place (short amount of time there), but it did feel like it while I was there, and did again on a subsequent visit.

OP, if you don't feel Indianapolis, just sock money away until you do, or until you know where you'd rather be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.