Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 AM

6 posts, read 22,663 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to San Diego from Tampa for a postdoc position at UCSD and I'm going to be driving my car all the way. I'm here on a visa and would like to avoid all checkpoints just to be safe, so I don't want to be driving on the I-10 since it has multiple checkpoints along the stretches from Texas to Arizona and possibly at the California border. What would be my other options, I'm OK with 4 or 5 more extra hours. I'd also like to know the best routes for sightseeing and attractions.

Last edited by tduncan80; 07-27-2015 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
I-75 North to Atlanta, I-20 West to Memphis and I-40 West to I-5 South in Los Angeles would be your best bet. You definitely want to avoid Texas, as well as the southern border areas of New Mexico and Arizona. It's about 5 hours longer via this route versus using I-10 or I-20 the entire way, and definitely a good bit more scenic as well.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I-75 North to Atlanta, I-20 West to Memphis and I-40 West to I-5 South in Los Angeles would be your best bet. You definitely want to avoid Texas, as well as the southern border areas of New Mexico and Arizona. It's about 5 hours longer via this route versus using I-10 or I-20 the entire way, and definitely a good bit more scenic as well.
Thank you!. Where do I get off I-40 exactly, as far as I can see from the map I-40 does not pass through Los Angeles. Do I have to drive all the way to Bakersfield then take the I-5.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:57 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,958,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduncan80 View Post
Thank you!. Where do I get off I-40 exactly, as far as I can see from the map I-40 does not pass through Los Angeles. Do I have to drive all the way to Bakersfield then take the I-5.
Actually, I-20 does not run through Memphis. Instead, take I-20 west in Atlanta, and then take it to US 78 North just past downtown Birmingham, AL where it its a divided highway that is co-signed with Alabama Route 5 with a few traffic lights for about 10 miles (16 km), and then you'll come with the interesection of one of the youngest interstates, I-22. Take that westbound, where US 78 remains co-signed. Follow that road into Mississippi until you reach the Tennessee border where you'll enter Memphis where the freeway ends and becomes a highway with a few traffic lights through industrial areas on the city's southeast side. After about five miles, you'll hit I-240, and then take that westbound. After about three more miles, you'll encounter the juncition with I-55. Continue straight by following the signs for I-55 north. After passing the city's southwest side, you'll cross over the Mississippi River and into Arkansas. After crossing the alluvial plain, you'll reach West Memphis and join I-40 westbound, where you'll continue to follow it westbound as I-55/US-64 split off a couple miles later.

As far as getting off I-40, you'll just continue following it until the end in Barstow, CA. You will then merge onto the 15 freeway southbound. You won't ever enter Los Angeles County as you'll eventually pass through the Inland Empire, so you should avoid most of the heavy congestion associated with that city, though of course check traffic reports to see if you should take the 215 as an alternate, where you'd eventually return to the 15. Eventually, take exit 19 to CA Route 56 westbound, and then follow that for nine miles until you hit the 5, where you'll take that southbound for about five miles until you see UCSD (you can't miss it even from the freeway).

Now, in terms of checkpoints, you'll still have to encounter the agricultural inspection station just past the CA border.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,079,701 times
Yeah checkpoints could be bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ku17CqdZg

Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Actually, I-20 does not run through Memphis. Instead, take I-20 west in Atlanta, and then take it to US 78 North just past downtown Birmingham, AL where it its a divided highway that is co-signed with Alabama Route 5 with a few traffic lights for about 10 miles (16 km), and then you'll come with the interesection of one of the youngest interstates, I-22. Take that westbound, where US 78 remains co-signed. Follow that road into Mississippi until you reach the Tennessee border where you'll enter Memphis where the freeway ends and becomes a highway with a few traffic lights through industrial areas on the city's southeast side. After about five miles, you'll hit I-240, and then take that westbound. After about three more miles, you'll encounter the juncition with I-55. Continue straight by following the signs for I-55 north. After passing the city's southwest side, you'll cross over the Mississippi River and into Arkansas. After crossing the alluvial plain, you'll reach West Memphis and join I-40 westbound, where you'll continue to follow it westbound as I-55/US-64 split off a couple miles later.

As far as getting off I-40, you'll just continue following it until the end in Barstow, CA. You will then merge onto the 15 freeway southbound. You won't ever enter Los Angeles County as you'll eventually pass through the Inland Empire, so you should avoid most of the heavy congestion associated with that city, though of course check traffic reports to see if you should take the 215 as an alternate, where you'd eventually return to the 15. Eventually, take exit 19 to CA Route 56 westbound, and then follow that for nine miles until you hit the 5, where you'll take that southbound for about five miles until you see UCSD (you can't miss it even from the freeway).

Now, in terms of checkpoints, you'll still have to encounter the agricultural inspection station just past the CA border.
Thank you for the detailed route. Yes I read that I have to go through agricultural checkpoints before going into California, that shouldn't be a problem though, I just don't want to take chances with border patrol checkpoints given that I'm here on a visa and not a U.S citizen.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Yeah checkpoints could be bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ku17CqdZg
Yep they could be a hassle, especially for someone who is not a citizen. I'd rather drive the extra 5 hours and be safe.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post

There is a border patrol checkpoint on the 15 between San Diego and Temecula, most times I've gone through they haven't been stopping or slowing down cars but you never know. All three freeways that lead into San Diego (5,8, and 15) have border patrol checkpoints.

If the OP has a VISA so I don't see what the problem is unless they plan to smuggle some drugs.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
There is a border patrol checkpoint on the 15 between San Diego and Temecula, most times I've gone through they haven't been stopping or slowing down cars but you never know. All three freeways that lead into San Diego (5,8, and 15) have border patrol checkpoints.

If the OP has a VISA so I don't see what the problem is unless they plan to smuggle some drugs.
I've heard of stories of U.S citizens being detained at these checkpoints, so I just wanted to avoid the trouble. It looks like I might just end up driving the I-10, it appears there is no way of avoiding the checkpoints.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:39 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tduncan80 View Post
I've heard of stories of U.S citizens being detained at these checkpoints, so I just wanted to avoid the trouble. It looks like I might just end up driving the I-10, it appears there is no way of avoiding the checkpoints.
Now that I think about it, the Border Patrol stations are on the Northbound sides of I-5 and I-15. They're looking for people or stuff coming up from Mexico and not so much going into it. If you're driving INTO San Diego (Southbound) along those two freeways I don't actually think they have inspection stations. The on on I-8 is for the westbound direction coming into SD though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.