Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times

Advertisements

Are you considering Florida at all? Because that would open up a lot of towns - St. Augustine, Jupiter, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Naples, etc. If not, how about the Savannah area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 12:12 PM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
You might consider Fernandina Beach, FL. It's just to the north of Jacksonville near the Georgia border and a beautiful, historic beach town similar to St Augustine minus the hordes of tourists. The school district (Nassau County) is the #2 rated school district in the state of Florida (out of 67). It's affordable, family-friendly and has the lowest hurricane strike probability of any coastal area south of NC due to the strong offcoast pull of the Gulfstream current.

Fernandina Historic District Downtown | Amelia Island eMagazine
Welcome to Amelia Island - Amelia Island, Florida
Fernandina Beach, FL - Official Website

Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 PM

7 posts, read 6,414 times
FL was off our radar, mostly because of the heat but also because of hurricanes.

On our trip last summer, we almost made it to the FL/GA line as we went to Jekyll Island and St. Simons GA and they were beautiful places. Driftwood beach is not something I think I'll ever forget.

Kyle9125, I like hearing about Fernandina Beach. I'll check out some of the houses around there. Is it unbearably hot in the summer though? Or does the ocean keep you cool?

Old 04-21-2016, 12:45 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might consider Fernandina Beach, FL. It's just to the north of Jacksonville near the Georgia border and a beautiful, historic beach town similar to St Augustine minus the hordes of tourists. The school district (Nassau County) is the #2 rated school district in the state of Florida (out of 67). It's affordable, family-friendly and has the lowest hurricane strike probability of any coastal area south of NC due to the strong offcoast pull of the Gulfstream current.

Fernandina Historic District Downtown | Amelia Island eMagazine
Welcome to Amelia Island - Amelia Island, Florida
Fernandina Beach, FL - Official Website
I went to Amelia Island for the first time this past winter. It's a beautiful town! I would love to spend more time there next time I'm down in Florida.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erehtuo View Post
I'll have to look a little more into Delaware and the schools.

I think moving back to MD's eastern shore would be the most comfortable move for us, since we've lived there and know what to expect. But it is very rural and jobs are a concern.

Looking at NC a little bit, Wilmington certainly seems to have the better schools and some affordable houses. Thanks for that tidbit.
It actually forgot to mention Wilmington. I have a cousin who lives there and an aunt and uncle who live in Carolina Beach (over the bridge from Wilmington). The island that Carolina Beach is on is beyond awesome to me and my family. We can boat or kayak on the Intercoastal Waterway, Cape Fear River, or Atlantic Ocean, you can drive vehicles on certain parts of the beach, there is Carolina Beach SP (with gorgeous Spanish oaks, jogging, biking, and boat/kayak launches), Ft. Fisher SP that's on the ocean (stunningly beautiful), Masonboro Island that can only be reached by boat or kayak (totally unspoiled nature surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and Intercoastal Waterway. It's about 20 miles in circumference), Ft. Fisher Museum, and a ferry to Southport; ALL on that little island. Schools are good as well. It's a joy to be there. A tad pricey for homes, but might be in your range. Southport is really nice and beautiful, but it is definitely pricey. But we love to visit. Sorry for rambling, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.