Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:27 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times

Advertisements

Savannah Georgia. Love the city but the summers are too hot and there aren't many job opportunities in my field. Also San Francisco, would be awesome if I was making over 200k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:47 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Pretty much any city in Hawaii since it's so disconnected from the mainland (from everything and everybody that involves) and getting there involves a long plane trip. As scenic and beautiful as it is, there's something unsettling and claustrophobic about being limited to such a small area of land without a major investment of time and money in traveling.

Also, while I strive not to make any enemies, and make peace with people I come to disagree with, there's something unnerving about the possibility of running into that one person who tries to make your life a nightmare and not being to escape very far away.

It's good to have space, or at least the option to have it. Other places that are remote, but not as remote, such as Key West, have some of the same issues, although not to the same extent as Hawaii cities/towns. Plus most items, and big ticket items, are quite expensive in these types of places.

I would also add to the list any city that requires a grown man or woman who's long out of college, beyond perhaps the first year or two (+/-) of gainful employment to be required to have a roommate (having one because you want to or its one's lifestyle preference is a different story), and even then, having to live in a small, drab apartment.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
Everyone has thag city they enjoy going to , maybe it was a business trip , maybe you have family there or took a vacation and loved the area , but for whatever reasons you say to yourself I don't think I could ever live there

For me : Florida , yea it's nice with palm trees , beaches relatively low cost of living but from may-September it's a sauna sticky cesspool with rain and mesquites and bad traffic .

Las Vegas : my favorite place in the world , the resorts , pools , food nightlife and entertainment the dry heat leaves me speechless I never want to leave. However I don't think I could live in such a tourist spot like Vegas , when on vacation your living the high life . It's a whole different story when your in bed at 8-9pm to get up for a 4am shift and you know people just blocks away are partying into the early morning having the time of their life . Too much temptation

What are yours ?
I agree the mosquito's are terrible in Florida but I personally love lushness as do many other people and the traffic is not bad in Florida.

Florida cities are spread-out but very devoloped. I like the set-up of Florida cities as it's a perfect balance of nature and urban.

I do wish they had more one stop large retail corridors in Florida as the retail is very spread-out but that's just a small personal preference.

I live in Las Vegas and I don't know how people waiting in lines for hours, paying ridiculous cover prices and paying $15 for each tiny drink would be the slightest bit tempting.

People who visit Vegas trying to live the high life is silly. After all, its not like a car or house it is just wasted money to be in a sweaty crowd of a couple thousand people they aren't likely to see again.

Going into one of these 3,000 to 5,000 person mega-clubs paying $100 for a cover, $15 per drink to be crowded in a group of drunk people who have alcohol breath and are sweating from being packed like sardines is in no way alluring.

The marketing firms that are trying to tempt people into visiting this city and waste their money make sure that they only show the most attractive and dressed up night club patrons for their advertising photo-ops.

There are some interesting people here but many run of the mill college towns have more fulfilling nightlife then Las Vegas. As quality of the patrons is better then quantity of patrons.

I would prefer to go to a beautiful beach in Florida or California personally for free and just have a picnic lunch.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
I loved Manchester, New Hampshire, it had beautiful buildings and scenery, and it is on the northern end of the Northeast megalopolis, meaning fairly close to other major cities. That said, I could never live there. The culture is too independent and people see suspicious of everyone else: a lady started running when I approached her, in broad day light, to hand her a letter she dropped while trying to place it in a mail box. That sort of stuff happened very frequently during my time there. Other factors are that the sun sets way too early during the Winters for my taste, the population is not as diverse as I am used to, and people are very abrasive (to the point that I commonly got rudely toned remarks about my speech issue). Still, Manchester is a beautiful place and I did enjoy my time there.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
You're assessment of Charleston is, as you put it, based on a personal NE bias. Nearly all bias' aren't based on reality, and this one's a prime example. I have spent lots of time in Charleston over my 50 years of life and know a little bit, just a tad, about the area and the people........MANY areas outside of the South are much more of a racial backwash than Charleston is, trust me. When Dylann Roof killed those church-goers, the KKK, Black Panthers, and Al Sharpton (who is from NYC, mind you) proclaimed they were coming to the area to protest. Did everyone riot, fight, loot, and divide like they did in cities outside of the South when similar tragedies happened? Nope! The white community told the KKK to stay away; and they did. The black community told the Black Panthers and Al to stay away; and they did. We all from multiple communities, cities, and races came together and supported one another. Sounds a little different than what you described.......The Civil War is not praised is Charleston; it's looked at as an historical event that shouldn't be repeated. Different races get along well and openly mingle. Seeing that you got everything so "B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D-S", I now see Charleston as being even more harmonious than most "other places" lol .............."....endless driving between soulless corporate towers in incessant muggy heat". That's also NYC in July, lol........I would much rather have a check-out person "take forever" (very open-ended observation, which I'd guess didn't take long at all) than someone practically shoving me out the door. If that's the worse complaint you have of Dallas, life is good
So, you're arguing that the place where one of the most heinous racially-based hate crimes occurred does not have a race issue simply because people didn't riot?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
SF - my absolute favorite city in the US. Can't afford it. If I become independently wealthy I'm moving there.

NYC - just too much City. I don't like the only scale being tall buildings. I like an ocean or huge lakeshore or mountains or something to remind me I'm in the real world. NYC dominates itself too much if that makes sense.

Smaller Florida Coast Cities - I really don't enjoy the Florida vibe. Beautiful to visit, no culture, no elevation, lots of strip malls and parking lots, not a very young or learned cultural value...I see why people yearn to retire to these towns, but I'd go insane as a 30-something.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
So, you're arguing that the place where one of the most heinous racially-based hate crimes occurred does not have a race issue simply because people didn't riot?
It is intellectually dishonest to use the actions of one hateful and unhinged human being to represent the mindset of an entire region. Especially after the way so many people of all races rallied together to defeat that hate in that very region.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
For me some of the top choices would be San Francisco, NYC, Denver, Las Vegas, and Johnson County (KC area). I love all those places, but they all have very different reasons why I could never live there (long term).

San Fran- too expensive first of all, and too much hippy culture for me. I don't mind hippy's, but it's just too extreme there. I absolutely love the city, the diversity, the local restaurant scene, the bay, just the whole bay region in general. It's proximity to wineries, mountains, ocean, etc. The city is very dirty, not in a pollution sense, but it has a lot of problems that would be hard for me to live with.

NYC- awesome city, still pretty expensive. While there is nature there to enjoy, it's not like San Fran. Most of the same positives as San Fran, but a little cheaper. So much to do and see, enough for the average lifetime.

Denver- location to the mountains is awesome, local people are fairly friendly especially relative to other big cities. Getting expensive. The city has a lot to do, especially compared to other cities in the region, but I don't know, seems to be missing something. Doesn't have the same soul that a lot of great cities have. The city itself, while large and has lots to do, seems generic to me, or more so then other major cities.

Las Vegas, first it has the strip, which is far more then just gambling. I don't gamble at all, but they have a great restaurant scene, tons of entertainment. It's a great location and cheaper then many other west coast cities. Summer can be brutal, but at least it's a dry heat. I worry about it's economy and would be nervous to buy a home there.

Johnson County- expensive for what it is, but surprisingly has a good restaurant scene, tons of entertainment and amenities, but really lacks in having a culture of it's own. Basically if you perfected the suburbs, this is what you get, but traffic can be a nightmare.

These are my opinions, I love all these places for their own reasons, but these are also some of the reasons it would be hard for me to live there.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:03 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,120 times
Hey could some people that have lived in Boston/Philly tell me how live-able they think those areas are? I'm thinking about moving there!

Old 05-05-2016, 04:57 PM

403 posts, read 666,552 times
Seattle-I love it, but it's way too expensive. However, at least cities like Miami, Los Angeles, anywhere in the Bay Area, D.C. and anywhere in New York City make it seem very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.