Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
But your neighbors to the west are night and day from your State. When I last visited parts of eastern Kansas about 5 years ago you couldn't even buy wine and beer on Sunday mornings. I remember it being after noon before you could purchase low alcohol beer. Oklahoma, too.

Here is the Wiki article on Kansas:

"Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees."
Lived on the KS side of KCMO metro. Would head over the border on Sundays to get hard liquor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
I found a thread on C-D mentioning liquor in supermarkets (Wisconsin). Which other states permit this?

I'm no heavy drinker, so it's more curiosity. In New York, if you want wine or liquor, you go to a liquor store.
Arizona does, while NY doesn't. I can say as I have lived in both states

Old 03-05-2017, 07:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
But your neighbors to the west are night and day from your State. When I last visited parts of eastern Kansas about 5 years ago you couldn't even buy wine and beer on Sunday mornings. I remember it being after noon before you could purchase low alcohol beer. Oklahoma, too.

Here is the Wiki article on Kansas:

"Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees."
I don't know this for certain, but I'd be surprised if we have a very high alcohol consumption rate. I drink very seldom so I don't mind our strict laws and it helps the liquor stores. There are very strict laws on owning liquor stores as well. We also have strict smoking laws, which I am happy with as well. I hate being around smokers.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM

111 posts, read 90,911 times
Each state is different. Nevada has the softest liquor laws. You can drink in broad daylight outside. Everyone sells liquor in Nevada. I think conservative states usually keep their liquor in a liquor store.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegitBusiness View Post
Each state is different. Nevada has the softest liquor laws. You can drink in broad daylight outside. Everyone sells liquor in Nevada. I think conservative states usually keep their liquor in a liquor store.
Yeah, in Nevada, I wouldn't be surprised if liquor was served in a Christian book store.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
New England is liberal and seems to have strict liquor laws

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Ohio used to have state liquor stores but now I buy my Jägermeister at Kroger.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ANOTHER STRANGE THING: States where all bars and clubs are PRIVATE members-only establishments and require you to buy a membership or pay a cover charge just to go in a drink. Mississippi, Utah and a few others are this way I think.
Wait...what? Are you saying if I moved Gulfort or Salt Lake, I'd have to get a membership to be able to go out?

Old 06-05-2017, 07:03 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,537 times
Quote:
Nevada is awesome!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Can't buy liquor in grocery stores in SC. You can get beer of any kind, and wine, but no hard liquor. Had no idea you could get it in grocery stores anywhere. SC has liquor-only stores, and many of them are quite nice and polished. I also thought that was standard everywhere. There are no dry counties, but there are some counties where you still can't buy any kind of alcohol on Sundays, which sucks.

And it gets funky. Some counties you cant buy on Sundays - unless you go to a place like Applebees and order it at the bar. But you can't go to Walmart or Publix in the same shopping center. So you can go to Applebees and get a margarita, but can't go to Walmart next door and get a Seagrams, which has less alcohol in it.

Bars close at 2am. Liquors stores depend on the municipality, but I haven't seen one open past 7. There aren't really any special laws. I find MA's crazy. You can't use your OOS id? Really? I'm glad that's not a common practice.

Also someone said isn't it a waste to have to go to one store to buy rum and then another Coke. Well many stores here are way ahead of you lol. They have sodas, syrups, and juice, etc already at the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.