Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 01:01 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

Wilmington NC has several good beachs nearby and a great downtown. Savannah has Tybee Ilsnad near by.

HIlton Head in SC is great. Jacksonville Fl has great beaches too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 01:33 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
Charleston SC, Wilmington NC, Virginia Beach VA, St. Petersburg FL

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's mind-blowing that Miami didn't show up until late in the thread.
It was first mentioned in the third response to the OP.

1,098 posts, read 1,545,550 times
MIami also might be too expensive for the OP.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
cool cities with great beaches in the US?
Hmmm, where do I even begin?

Boston has Cape Cod beaches.
New York has the Hamptons and the Jersey Shore
Philly has the Jersey Shore

DC has Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia beaches.

North Carolina has the outer banks.
South Carolina has the beaches outside of Charleston
Florida is basically one massive beach and has tons of fantastic beaches.
California has a ton of beaches
Even the Pacific Northwest has really beautiful beaches.
Hawaii?

I mean what else?
NYC has actual beaches within its city limits. Coney Island is probably the most well-known, in Brooklyn, followed by the Rockaways, in Queens.

The Hamptons are actually at least a good hour and a half away from NYC, and that's at its easternmost limits. Manhattan to the Hamptons is probably a nightmare drive, I can only imagine. Philly is a good 60 miles at least from NJ's beaches. NYC is closer to NJ beaches (as the crow flies; Staten Island is very close to NJ's Sandy Hook, they actually share a bay), but actually getting there takes a good hour, as well, at least. These places are technically within each city's metro region, yes, but it takes some time to get there, especially if you consider traffic because everyone else has the same idea on nice warm days, especially weekends. Someone visiting Philadelphia or NYC, for example, would need to have a car to take a day trip out to the NJ or LI beaches. It's possible by mass transit but options are more limited, and you have to depend on a train schedule which makes for a much more rigid day.

Even getting to NYC beaches from Manhattan is a PIA. The subway ride to Coney Island is a long one. It's a struggle to be a city of islands.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
We're planning a family trip and my mom wants a place with a beach. I would like a cool place to visit with good food and culture. I was thinking New Orleans. I know New Orleans doesn't have a beach but there is a beach nearby. it I just don't know how to get there and if it is too far from New Orleans since we are not driving. I was also thinking of California. I would like to go to Los Angeles but I know it is a sprawling city. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Chicago!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:36 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's mind-blowing that Miami didn't show up until late in the thread. It's a world-class city with beautiful beaches, loads of cultural amenities and a great food scene that ranges from varying Latin cuisines to it's own style (Floribbean/New World cuisine) as well as obviously great seafood and more.
I mentioned it when in the 4th reply to this thread...and I wasn't the first one to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It was first mentioned in the third response to the OP.
Well yeah

Old 05-07-2016, 03:50 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Miami is the place you're looking for
Miami isnt somewhere for a family trip

Old 05-07-2016, 04:17 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Miami isnt somewhere for a family trip
Miami is a great city for a family vacation. South Beach isn't.

Every time my wife or I have a conference in an interesting city, we try to make a mini-vacation out of it, since one airfare and most of the hotel expense (we add a day or two) has already been covered. When she suggested taking our then-three-year-old to Miami, I initially balked. It ended up being one of our favorite family trips. Miami has some really cool family attractions, and some of the best beaches in the country. It's also a top-notch food town, which is important to a foodie family like ours. Most family friendly beach towns offer nothing but the beach. I'd much rather that beach be Key Biscayne than Ocean City.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
These are pretty far out from their respective cool cities. Not very convenient for a family wanting to be in both places at the same time...particularly without a car.
Boston has beaches in South Boston.
Revere and Quincy have subway accessible beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.