Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 03:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,584,054 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Alabama next month and there are so mmany people there who recently moved from Illinois, both Chicago and other areas as well. Why the mass exodus and why Alabama?? I guess Alabama is affordable, but is there another draw for this population? And what's wrong with Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 04:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,009,673 times
I've never heard of this, but Chicagoland is a metro area of almost 10 million people and has been seeing out-migration for decades, so in any fast-growing area there are probably a lot of Chicagoans.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:43 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Yep, Illinois contributes greatly to the population growth of about 37 other states.
I know we had a ton of them in Arkansas as well.
I’m in Wisconsin right now which could almost be called New Illinois.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:49 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,956,558 times
I would think Georgia, Florida and Texas (and a lesser degree TN and NC) would be more viable choices since they have areas that contain that big city experience like you find in Illinois, plus you still get to escape the worst of winters like you get there (at the expense of less pleasant summers). AL is more for those who want a more slow-paced lifestyle with a generally more conservative bent and a dirt cheap cost of living, and I'd imagine some folks move for that "simpler" lifestyle that they miss or wanted to experience, while viewing how urban TX/GA/FL are seen as 'full" due to the relentless growth that some could fear could resemble IL in the medium run. I also could see the draw for those from central/southern IL who want to escape being marginalized to Chicagoland. Huntsville feels like a nice suburb of Chicago, but that's all, while Birmingham and Mobile aren't exactly booming like its southern peers.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I would think Georgia, Florida and Texas (and a lesser degree TN and NC) would be more viable choices since they have areas that contain that big city experience like you find in Illinois, plus you still get to escape the worst of winters like you get there (at the expense of less pleasant summers). AL is more for those who want a more slow-paced lifestyle with a generally more conservative bent and a dirt cheap cost of living, and I'd imagine some folks move for that "simpler" lifestyle that they miss or wanted to experience, while viewing how urban TX/GA/FL are seen as 'full" due to the relentless growth that some could fear could resemble IL in the medium run. I also could see the draw for those from central/southern IL who want to escape being marginalized to Chicagoland. Huntsville feels like a nice suburb of Chicago, but that's all, while Birmingham and Mobile aren't exactly booming like its southern peers.
I'm moving to the Mobile area so maybe Gulf Shores and the beach are thr draw

Old 10-09-2021, 05:14 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,222,359 times
Doesn't surprise me, Alabama is going through rapid economic evolution, Alabama has been booming the past 5 or so years. Of course the state is very much slept on even tho it actually has one of the highest imbound migrations, ranked 11th in capital investments last year as well as one of the fastest falling poverty rate in the states.

The job boom isn't just isolated to Huntsville, its everywhere, Florence, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Dothan, Phenix City, Montgomery, Cullman, etc; every corner of the state. Its especially true in Huntsville, Birmingham, and Mobile. Birmingham and Mobile are building up just as many industries and jobs as Huntsville actually, (for example, Mobile has just started construction on the largest Logistics Park in the Southeast producing 10,000 jobs).

Last edited by Surge0001; 10-09-2021 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 05:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,324,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Doesn't surprise me, Alabama is rapidly industrializing, Alabama has been booming the past 5 or so years. Of course the state is very much slept on even tho it actually has one of the highest imbound migrations, ranked 11th in capital investments last year as well as one of the fastest falling poverty rate in the states.
Industrilizing reminds me of 1880 London.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:27 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,222,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Industrilizing reminds me of 1880 London.

Well industries are rapidly moving into state (usually about 2-3 with 200-500 jobs every week), so I'm not sure what you want me to replace the word with

Happy??

Old 10-09-2021, 05:30 PM

663 posts, read 306,901 times
Alabama overall the cheapest state with Mississippi and West Virginia. The American way and as the darling sunbelt cities and sprawling metros get pricier. It reasons which more left out states are next in the sunbelt without real winters. Even much of Appalachia in the North is cheap. But it gets real winters a scourge today and more regulations and rules. Still less in their rural areas away from larger metros.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:31 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Could it be some people going back to their roots as well, considering the aspect of northern migration and now some moving back Down South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.