Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM

36 posts, read 27,814 times

Advertisements

Hello! I came here today for a little bit of help/advice. I'd desperately like to move from my city. I live in Rochester NY. It's a nice little city but I've known since I was a child that I didn't want to stay. Winter is too long and can be very harsh (lake effect climate from Lake Ontario is no joke), it's a pretty conservative city, and I just don't feel it's a good fit.

Background on myself:
I'm currently a server. I'm 21. I'm male. I'm very confident in my ability to adapt to a new environment so I'm not very intimidated by the idea of moving far away. I'm also an amateur photographer and graphic designer. I'm very open minded.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a city I should move to. Here's what I'm looking for:
- I wouldn't mind still serving for a little while but may want to go back to school
- WARM. I can't stand winter. I get very depressed and it sometimes effects my motivational level.
- I wouldn't mind having a roommate or two
- Decent public transportation or walkability. Even uber would help.
- Some sort of body of water
- to reiterate ... BARELY to NO WINTER!!
-I'd like to possibly make some side money doing photo work. Headshots/portraits/etc
- Pretty young population

To give you an idea, my favorite city in the world is LA. I absolutely believe I'd be able to live there but I want to see if there are any other suggestions. I'm visiting Austin TX next month too so that could also be a possibility.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM

102 posts, read 117,685 times
Houston, fits your criteria fairly well

Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I wouldn't call Rochester a conservative city, but anyway, Charleston SC may be another area to consider. I dare say to look into New Orleans as well.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgreenwell View Post
Hello! I came here today for a little bit of help/advice. I'd desperately like to move from my city. I live in Rochester NY. It's a nice little city but I've known since I was a child that I didn't want to stay. Winter is too long and can be very harsh (lake effect climate from Lake Ontario is no joke), it's a pretty conservative city, and I just don't feel it's a good fit.

Background on myself:
I'm currently a server. I'm 21. I'm male. I'm very confident in my ability to adapt to a new environment so I'm not very intimidated by the idea of moving far away. I'm also an amateur photographer and graphic designer. I'm very open minded.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a city I should move to. Here's what I'm looking for:
- I wouldn't mind still serving for a little while but may want to go back to school
- WARM. I can't stand winter. I get very depressed and it sometimes effects my motivational level.
-I'd like to possibly make some side money doing photo work. Headshots/portraits/etc

To give you an idea, my favorite city in the world is LA. I absolutely believe I'd be able to live there but I want to see if there are any other suggestions. I'm visiting Austin TX next month too so that could also be a possibility.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any input !
Well I was gonna say Austin, but their government is kind of against freedom of association when it comes to getting dropped off somewhere. Have to go through the proper authorities to make sure you are mature enough to make your own transit arrangements!

Louisville, KY might be a good fit. About the same size as Rochester, but without the harsh winters. At least they have uber too. There's a river... but not sure if that counts as the kind of water you want.

LA might be the best choice though, given your field of work and your willingness to move far away. Big ocean, no winter too. Transit will be the biggest drawback, but hey, no matter where you go, you're gonna have to compromise something or other.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:22 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Another vote for LA.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:45 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgreenwell View Post
Background on myself:

Given your desire for zero winter, being on or near water, a more liberal/progressive city, your photography/graphic designer interest, your experience in restaurants and having to readily find suitable (and hopefully lucrative), a pretty young population, along with at least decent public transit would highly recommend Southeast Florida cities like Miami/Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Tampa FL

Old 05-13-2016, 02:15 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
Oh just move to LA. You're 21. If you don't like it, pick up and move somewhere else. You just might be the next Brad Pitt or something. As long as you have your whits about you...

Old 05-13-2016, 02:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
Los Angeles. Do your prep on the Los Angeles forum.
Rent a room:https://www.roomster.com/location/los-angeles--ca

Old 05-13-2016, 03:27 PM

730 posts, read 814,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Tampa FL
Another vote for Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.