Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:38 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i think that i've given other reasons to live in Greenville though. Minneapolis is cold so I think Greenville has a lot more appeal for most people.

Greenville is as cosmopolitan as any Hampton Roads city. I think it has a much more happening downtown and appealing downtown than any Hampton Roads city.
"so I think Greenville has a lot more appeal for most people"

So that must be why Minneapolis-St. Paul has 3 million more people than Greenville's MSA.

Greenville proper MIGHT (read: heavy emphasis on the speculation) be "cosmopolitan" "enough" to compare with any HRVA city on their own, but collectively, it curbstomps Greenville into a fine powder, puts it in a little tube with a stopper, and sells it in a homeopathic store as a Chinese remedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Ok, I know quite a few people that have gone there on business trips or on vacation Va Beach or Busch Gardens, and they all basically say they only really liked Williamsburg. That's basically what I said. I did google map the Cheasapek area a few weeks ago and it looks pretty nice, i might like it better than the Charleston burbs.

obviously everybody has their preferences. if you like being near a beach, it is better no doubt. that to me is the only advantage.

how many people in the twin cities located there from warmer climates though. i can't see many people inthe south wanting to live there. that is about the worst place to live in the States for me. Landlocked with brutally cold winters.

Most people would struggle to name another metro in MN, or even 1 in some of the states that surround it. It has a lot of people b/c it is about the only place companies locate in that region.

Baghdad has more people than Greenville, doesn't mean most people would want to live there given a choice.

Only VA areas i ever hear much about are Nova and Richmond, but not even much about Richmond. Never hear anything about Hampton Roads, and Roanoke.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-23-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 06:00 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Clemson has much better rep in engineering and architecture than UVA. UVA is seen as business, liberal arts school.
Wait. According to whom? Both UVa and Virginia Tech (since the conversation was about schools in Virginia, not specifically UVa and Clemson) rank higher for architecture and engineering than Clemson.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I like both states, and while I am SC born, I'm a North Carolinian now. But that seemed like too bold a statement to let slide.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 PM

UVA engineering when broken out separately ranks higher than Clemson? I could see Va Tech, but not UVA. A lot of the rankings is just based on research money, endowment, stuff that doesn't relate to the quality of the professors and programs. I don't think the liberal arts people who write at US News have any crediblity to rank engineering programs.

I have never met any engineer with an undergrad degree in engineering from UVA, but I have met numerous Va Tech grads.

I will always take the land grant engineering schools over the flagships, with a few exceptions.

To put it another way, I don't think most employers would show favoritism for engineers with a UVA and Va Tech degree vs a Clemson degree. Clemson has engineering professors who went to Va Tech and other highly ranked colleges. A Clemson degree is better for gettinga job in SC, and probably Atlanta as well, due to familiarity with the college by local employers plus many alumni working in the area. I see a lot of Clemson flags at homes and car decals everytime I'm in Atlanta.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-23-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 07:12 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Clemson is on par with the University of Richmond. Good school, not great.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding any objective ranking in which Clemson is decidedly ahead of UVa in engineering, and Va Tech is usually ranked far ahead of Clemson in the lists I'm finding.

It's hard to navigate all the paywalls, but for example in the US News graduate rankings, VT was at 21, UVa was at 39, Clemson was at 65. Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

And that methodology does include things like grants, but also relies on reputation data from engineers and recruiters. The undergraduate numbers I could find were unreliable, as they were on 3rd party sites and the Us news site was paywalled, but painted a similar picture for undergrad.

I'm not trying to knock Clemson. It's a great school and I've got several close friends who went there and are successful engineers as we speak. They got great jobs. I like USC for many things too, and think other SC schools do a number of things well. But it's hard to find support for your claims that extend beyond the immediate sphere of influence of Clemson (especially SC, GA, and NC).

Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 PM

don't think richmond has engineering or architecture, and i never heard much about it.

CLemson is ranked 20, 21st public in US News, which is how most people rank the schools b/c how else wud they know. I don't see any reason to care that a school is ranked higher than Clemson and no employer is going to break out the US News rankings to decide who to interview and make job offers to.

As long as you have an engineering degree from a large public or private, a good GPA, or work experience if you are older, and PE license, etc you are gold.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-23-2016 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheLiveOaks View Post
Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding any objective ranking in which Clemson is decidedly ahead of UVa in engineering, and Va Tech is usually ranked far ahead of Clemson in the lists I'm finding.

It's hard to navigate all the paywalls, but for example in the US News graduate rankings, VT was at 21, UVa was at 39, Clemson was at 65. Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

And that methodology does include things like grants, but also relies on reputation data from engineers and recruiters. The undergraduate numbers I could find were unreliable, as they were on 3rd party sites and the Us news site was paywalled, but painted a similar picture for undergrad.

I'm not trying to knock Clemson. It's a great school and I've got several close friends who went there and are successful engineers as we speak. They got great jobs. I like USC for many things too, and think other SC schools do a number of things well. But it's hard to find support for your claims that extend beyond the immediate sphere of influence of Clemson (especially SC, GA, and NC).

the support for my claims come from being an engineer who has worked in the profession for 16 years with several companies and in 4 different states on east coast. Clemson is a clone of Va Tech. no engineer views them as different and engineers hire engineers, not US News liberal arts people.

uva engineering school is fine but uva isn't known for engineering like va tech and clemson and nc state and gtech is. USC has a decent engineering school but u don't hear about it. I am pretty sure Clemson engienering school is much bigger than UVAs. a lot more students, but don't feel like researching it.

i got a job with large engineering firm in Maryland no problem with a Clemson degree. the others that I met in Maryland were most Va Tech with some Maryland and Penn State degrees.

Any engineering school that is ABET accredited should be good enough for employers with maybe a few exceptions. Engineers don't share the lofty view of schools like UVA and UNC that many people do. These are old schools that were the best for a long time because there were not many other options, and they've been marketing themselves for a longer period of time. They are proof marketing works. Clemson has become very good at marketing itself.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Uhhhhh, a waterfall? a lake or two? a highly rated zoo? a slightly warmer winter? These are your reasons why one state is better then another?
it isn't a slightly warmer winter in VA, and it gets a lot more snow.

or one or two lakes. my comment about the zoo is it is right downtown, vs the one in richmond being north of town.

I said a lot of other things too.

i think that you need to visit Greenville and then you will see why I tout it.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Care to share your opinion on education retainment and state economy? SC is cheap because it's less desirable, demand rises up prices.
SC isn't cheap, except compared to a place like DC which is overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.