Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a most interesting definition of the region...never seen Oklahoma (although one may make an argument for the southeastern corner of the state, "Little Dixie"), Dallas, or Chattanooga included. It's also rare to see SC exempted; as a native SC'er, I think the state is more like GA than any other, which you included.
And all of Arkansas is most definitely not the Deep South. Fayetteville/Eureka Springs are practically the beginning of the Midwest. The only state falling solidly within the Deep South is Louisiana, and even that may be a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And all of Arkansas is most definitely not the Deep South. Fayetteville/Eureka Springs are practically the beginning of the Midwest.
True; the only part I really consider Deep South is the Delta region, but I could see an argument for Little Rock.

Quote:
The only state falling solidly within the Deep South is Louisiana, and even that may be a stretch.
I generally consider the entirety of MS and LA to be Deep South. Most of SC is, but interestingly enough it wasn't included in the earliest definitions of the region.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
I've seen people say Houston is deep south and I disagree with that. But this is the first I ever heard anyone say Dallas is deep South. I definitely do not agree with that one either.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And all of Arkansas is most definitely not the Deep South. Fayetteville/Eureka Springs are practically the beginning of the Midwest. The only state falling solidly within the Deep South is Louisiana, and even that may be a stretch.
Fayetteville and Eureka Springs are NOT the beginning of the Midwest. The southern half of Missouri is part transition, part Southern. The Midwest doesn't officially start until you hit KC, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
My mother raised us in Virginia, but she herself grew up between Upstate New York and Memphis. My grandmother still lives in Memphis, I lived there in 8th grade, and have been to visit many, many, times. My father was born and raised in Little Rock until going to DC when he was 22-23. One of his nieces (my cousin) followed him up, but besides that, his entire family lives in Arkansas, Texas, and Los Angeles, and I've been to Little Rock many times as well. Additionally, the only Southern states I have never been to are Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Florida. I have been across the rest of the South many times...

I have always, to this day, believed in the Deep South as the parts of the South going westward, rather than southward. It's difficult for me to see any part of the Carolinas as "deep", as the quality of life, the pace of life, the subregional identity noticeably contrasts the cultures of Alabama, Mississippi, etc. The "Deep South", like any other cultural identity, is not restricted by state lines...

I'd say the Deep South, from the west, includes the Dallas and Houston areas of Texas.
-all of Louisiana.
-all of Arkansas.
-eastern half (definitely Tulsa) of Oklahoma.
-all of Mississippi.
-all of Alabama.
-Western Tennessee (west of Nashville area), southeast Tennessee (Chattanooga).
-all of Georgia.
-northern Florida (the Panhandle to Jacksonville).
Tulsa is NOT the Deep South. Most of Oklahoma isn't either. Western Tennessee isn't the Deep South either. it's the Mid South.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:56 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Fayetteville and Eureka Springs are NOT the beginning of the Midwest. The southern half of Missouri is part transition, part Southern. The Midwest doesn't officially start until you hit KC, Jefferson City, and St. Louis.
I said practically not exactly. Since these areas lie immediately south of MO, I think that places them in what you could call the transition zone. One thing for sure is that winters up there are far too cold to be the Deep South.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:19 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
can anybody explain what the benefit is to classifying a state as 'Deep South'?

isn't SC the same state regardless of being classified 'Deep South' or not?

it it seems like some people want to put states in different boxes even though there is no discernable benefit to doing so.

it doesn't make sense to me that SC is more like MS and LA than a state it shares a border with and two MSAs with.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
can anybody explain what the benefit is to classifying a state as 'Deep South'?

isn't SC the same state regardless of being classified 'Deep South' or not?

it it seems like some people want to put states in different boxes even though there is no discernable benefit to doing so.

it doesn't make sense to me that SC is more like MS and LA than a state it shares a border with and two MSAs with.
Ok fine. SC is more like Pennsylvania than the Deep South.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:53 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times
SC is more like other atlantic coast states like NC and VA than MS and LA.

You are presenting a false choice I think.

i think calling these states the south should suffice. the Deep modifier seems like a useless appendage.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
SC is more like other atlantic coast states like NC and VA than MS and LA.

You are presenting a false choice I think.
South Carolina is not an Upper South state. I can't believe you actually think it's more like Virginia than Georgia when it shares a border with Georgia and not with Virginia. South Carolina led the South in secession...that's characteristic of a Deep South state. You're practically the only one on here that believes it's something other than Deep South. I personally think you just dislike the Deep South and don't want any part of it. What's next. South Carolina is more like New York than Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.