Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2016, 09:34 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Welcome to City-Data, the site where internet nerds are so busy trying to look smart and well-traveled that they will even try to tell YOU what YOUR hometown, city, or state are like, even if they have never even been there before or just passed through on the interstate and made a 5 minute stop for gas and a restroom break.

You just have to learn to ignore folks like that. I've even had to do it in this very thread, watching people say false stuff about my hometown and region like it's fact when I lived there most of my life and go back several times a year every year.

Google search bar users turned message board travel experts is what they are.
I've been there, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
SC is my home state and it is undoubtedly Deep South.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
You just have to learn to ignore folks like that. I've even had to do it in this very thread, watching people say false stuff about my hometown and region like it's fact when I lived there most of my life and go back several times a year every year.

Google search bar users turned message board travel experts is what they are.
This issue is bizaree though because there is no real 'Deep South'. They capitalize something that is not a formal tangible entity and the definition of it varies from person to person.

And they can't explain why it is important to label some southern states as 'Deep South'.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
This issue is bizaree though because there is no real 'Deep South'. They capitalize something that is not a formal tangible entity and the definition of it varies from person to person.

And they can't explain why it is important to label some southern states as 'Deep South'.
So these regions are just a figament of my imagination? Yeah right. I think you just cant stand to lose a debate. So far I'm winning this one. Go home.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:07 PM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
SC is my home state and it is undoubtedly Deep South.
Half of my family is from SC, I used to live there as well and I've been there many, many, many times since. I agree 110%.

I'm kinda surprised that this is even up for debate.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
I would just go with:

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
South Carolina

I am thinking geography more than anything else.

For that, we would put in southern and central Texas as well.

Oklahoma has been described as a "parody of the South" in one publication I read. A former Okie I know agreed with that one.

NC, AR, VA, and TN are farther away from the Deep South geography wise, but the original colonies being the "Old South" I could see.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:34 PM

everything is up for debate.

the people who say SC is 'Deep South' but not NC cannot articulate how SC is more like LA and MS than NC.

I have not been able to find one SC oriented website that refers to the state as part of the 'Deep South'.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
everything is up for debate.

the people who say SC is 'Deep South' but not NC cannot articulate how SC is more like LA and MS than NC.

I have not been able to find one SC oriented website that refers to the state as part of the 'Deep South'.
Maybe you haven't looked hard enough. You're the only one on city-data who thinks SC isn't the Deep South so your method is to say not only does the Deep South not exist but that all of us on here are idiots and you're the only one who knows anything. Pathetic.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:21 PM

Deep South | Definition of Deep South by Merriam-Webster

Definition of Deep South

1. region SE United States —usually considered to include Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and all or part of the adjacent states of Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Texas

Old 05-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Maybe you haven't looked hard enough. You're the only one on city-data who thinks SC isn't the Deep South so your method is to say not only does the Deep South not exist but that all of us on here are idiots and you're the only one who knows anything. Pathetic.
i don' think there is a 'Deep SOuth' period. it makes no sense to add Deep in front of South.

but you are missing the nuance of my argument, and thast is how are NC and VA so different from SC and the other states you thrwo into the Deep South bucket, given these states of NC and Va were much more similar to the 'deep south' states when the expression was first used.

you have not explained how you excluded two states htat were in the confederacy and had plnatations with slave labor, in the cotton belt, etc from the 'Deep South' label.

Richmdon has more confederate monuments it is downtown than any other southern city that I've seen, and it was the capital of the Conederacy, and VA is where our country's most proimnent slaveholders, Jefferson, Washigont, and Madison and MOnroe lived.

NC's state flag is a derivation of the confederate flag.

I"ve also pointed out that Nixon an integrationist and civil rights leader, won SC, NC, VA, and TN but lost the other states you call the 'Deep South' to the racist Democrat governor of AL, George Wallace. That seems to indicate SC was more like Va and NC than those other states.

I think most people in SC think of Al and MS when they hear the Deep South expression.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-28-2016 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.