Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 11:25 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

If I am not mistaken, Western Kentucky is the northernmost reach of the Coastal Plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 11:59 AM

10 posts, read 6,993 times
I'm not familiar with the Deep South, but I've always considered it to be comprised of LA, MS, AL, GA, and SC, along with Southern AR, East TX, North FL, and maybe even SW TN. But even then, there are different ways to group Southern regions. There is mountain vs lowland, Atlantic coast vs inland. These don't always correlate neatly to state boundaries. If I were to divide the Southern states into general regions, I would divide them into Upper, Mid, Lower, and Western.

Upper: VA, WV, KY, MD? (many parts outside DC-Baltimore corridor), MO? (southern 1/3)
Mid: NC, TN, AR? (split between mid and deep)
Deep: SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR? (split between mid and deep), FL? (North FL and panhandle)
Western: TX, OK
Again, I'm not too familiar with the South and these are pretty rough designations, just an outsiders perspective.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:45 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Midwesterner View Post
I'm not familiar with the Deep South, but I've always considered it to be comprised of LA, MS, AL, GA, and SC, along with Southern AR, East TX, North FL, and maybe even SW TN. But even then, there are different ways to group Southern regions. There is mountain vs lowland, Atlantic coast vs inland. These don't always correlate neatly to state boundaries. If I were to divide the Southern states into general regions, I would divide them into Upper, Mid, Lower, and Western.

Upper: VA, WV, KY, MD? (many parts outside DC-Baltimore corridor), MO? (southern 1/3)
Mid: NC, TN, AR? (split between mid and deep)
Deep: SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, AR? (split between mid and deep), FL? (North FL and panhandle)
Western: TX, OK
Again, I'm not too familiar with the South and these are pretty rough designations, just an outsiders perspective.
Considering that the vast majority of white residents in northern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia are WASP, while the majority of white residents in southern Louisiana are white ethnic Catholic, one can argue that northern Louisiana is more culturally similar to those three states than it is to southern Louisiana.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Considering that the vast majority of white residents in northern Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia are WASP, while the majority of white residents in southern Louisiana are white ethnic Catholic, one can argue that northern Louisiana is more culturally similar to those three states than it is to southern Louisiana.
Southern Louisiana could be considered its own world even. I mean Cajuns alone make it very unlike the other Southern states. Then New Orleans had a very ethnic White heritage like a Northern city.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Southern Louisiana could be considered its own world even. I mean Cajuns alone make it very unlike the other Southern states. Then New Orleans had a very ethnic White heritage like a Northern city.
Another dynamic similar to Northern cities was the ethnic tension between the Irish, who dominated the Police force, and the Italians, who dominated the criminal underworld in New Orleans back when. Prohibition was basically ignored in New Orleans as it was considered "The Wettest City in America " over that period while the rest of the Deep South was dry.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Louisiana
Mississippi
Arkansas
Alabama
Georgia
South Carolina
North Florida
Eastern Texas
Perfect list.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Perfect list.
Would you add SW Tennessee on there. I only ask that because he listed Arkansas and I took that as the entire state.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
To clarify:

Though I've never been to Oklahoma, I've heard little to believe the part of Oklahoma bordering Fayetteville and Fort Smith are different from Arkansas. Also, isn't Tulsa supposedly much more inclined to Southern culture than OKC and other parts of Oklahoma?

I saw Dallas as extremely southern. All the family I have in Dallas is from Little Rock. Moreover, Little Rock's "urban" culture (hip-hop) is a blend of Memphis and Dallas. Little Rockers see both as the "big city", but the syrup culture is Dallas-influenced. Also, have you heard Little Rock hip-hop? It's most definitely Dallas-influenced. Dallas has that dance happy, car-centric, upbeat rap. Memphis has a distinct music culture that really is influential to/derived from NW Mississippi, but doesn't translate to Little Rock...Little Rock and Arkansas in general is largely influenced by Dallas sports. When I went to Dallas, it certainly felt like a large city, but aside from that, I could see it as a larger Little Rock. I guess because I am familiar with the Little Rock-Dallas connections, I see those as indicators of Dallas as Deep South...

I once worked with a woman from Chattanooga, she's a friend to this day even though we don't speak often. She currently lives in Raleigh....boy, is she country! I mean, one the thickest drawls I have ever heard. That alone sold me lol, but I'll admit, aside from the fact that Chattanooga borders Georgia, I have no other explanation...
Oklahoma is definitely the South, but it's hard for me to consider it the Deep South. There is a distinct culture in the Deep South that is different from even the rest of the South. I would say Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina are the core of it. In addition, it includes the Florida panhandle all the way to Jacksonville, most of Louisiana, the southern and eastern half of Arkansas, Memphis, and the southern third of North Carolina. A case could be made for including the Texas Gulf Coast but I wouldn't include anything farther west than Houston.

In addition, I would exclude the Appalachian parts of north Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. I wouldn't consider Greenville-Spartanburg to be the Deep South but Columbia and Charleston are.

Little Rock is definitely the Deep South and I would say that I-30 in the western half of Arkansas and I-40 in the eastern half is the general corridor where the Deep South ends. Also, I lived in Little Rock for a while and I never noticed the strong Dallas connections that people on City-Data say exist. Little Rock was more tied with Memphis and Mississippi culturally than Dallas. The one exception is that NFL fans in Little Rock (and all of Arkansas really) lean towards the Dallas Cowboys as their "local" NFL team.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:40 PM

Honestly a big consensus shared here is:

If White Appalachian culture is dominant, it is not the Deep South.
If country Blacks are unheard of or barely present, it is not the Deep South
If it is not on the Coastal Plain it isn't Deep South

Any others?

Old 09-02-2017, 01:43 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Honestly a big consensus shared here is:

If White Appalachian culture is dominant, it is not the Deep South.
If country Blacks are unheard of or barely present, it is not the Deep South
If it is not on the Coastal Plain it isn't Deep South

Any others?
This is pretty much it. The country black aspect is a big part of it. It's a unique culture to the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.