Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:58 PM

386 posts, read 986,703 times

Advertisements

The deep south states are Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana. I also consider the Eastern portion of Texas and Northern Florida to be part of the deep south region. Moreover, I think cities that border the deep south are a part of the region also (ie. Memphis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 02:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastbestcoast123 View Post
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, south-east Texas, Georgia, South Carolina.
Interesting. Why not Northeast Texas, if you don't mind explaining? I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just curious.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
The deep south states are Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana. I also consider the Eastern portion of Texas and Northern Florida to be part of the deep south region. Moreover, I think cities that border the deep south are a part of the region also (ie. Memphis).
Agreed, and I would put Houston in the same boat as Memphis. Several people disagree with the former being considered the Deep South, but the fact is all of the pieces of the puzzle are there. There are neighborhoods right within the city limits that could easily be placed in Louisiana or southern Mississippi and few would know the difference.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Agreed, and I would put Houston in the same boat as Memphis. Several people disagree with the former being considered the Deep South, but the fact is all of the pieces of the puzzle are there. There are neighborhoods right within the city limits that could easily be placed in Louisiana or southern Mississippi and few would know the difference.
Especially in west Louisiana where it basically is Texas anyhow. The Louisiana prairie and west has a deep relationship with east TX.

Southern Mississippi though I always felt was more like the Florida parishes than Acadia and the prairie. You don't see quite as much of the Texas longhorn/cowboy hat motif in Bay St. Louis as you will around Lake Charles.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:43 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I'm one that considers Houston not a city in the Deep South and that likely won't change either. Demographically, it is much different than the rest of the region. But hey, that's my perception. In Memphis, do they not have businesses that promote mid-south?

Old 05-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Especially in west Louisiana where it basically is Texas anyhow. The Louisiana prairie and west has a deep relationship with east TX.

Southern Mississippi though I always felt was more like the Florida parishes than Acadia and the prairie. You don't see quite as much of the Texas longhorn/cowboy hat motif in Bay St. Louis as you will around Lake Charles.
You won't really see longhorns in much of Houston, either, to be honest. But Mississippi does have a Black cowboy culture, just like Houston and East Texas.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm one that considers Houston not a city in the Deep South and that likely won't change either. Demographically, it is much different than the rest of the region. But hey, that's my perception. In Memphis, do they not have businesses that promote mid-south?
TODAY the demographics of Houston are much different. For most of the city's history they were not. And Houston is far from being the only city in the South that experienced a demographics shift. Even parts of New Orleans and Atlanta are becoming predominantly Hispanic.

Mid-South, to me, seems to have more geographic value than a cultural one. Memphis is even further north than Atlanta, but it's location directly on the Mississippi River gives it a strong connection to the Deep South. Some of that brown water at Galveston comes from Memphis lol.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:33 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
What is the big deal about "The deep South ?" I live in Charleston SC and if that is considered "The deep South"...great! I am damn proud to be in the deep South because I have not found anywhere in this country I would rather live.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
TODAY the demographics of Houston are much different. For most of the city's history they were not. And Houston is far from being the only city in the South that experienced a demographics shift. Even parts of New Orleans and Atlanta are becoming predominantly Hispanic.

Mid-South, to me, seems to have more geographic value than a cultural one. Memphis is even further north than Atlanta, but it's location directly on the Mississippi River gives it a strong connection to the Deep South. Some of that brown water at Galveston comes from Memphis lol.
I wasn't focusing on just the Hispanic population but if one must mention that, Atlanta and NO may have parts becoming predominantly Hispanic. But the Houston metro has over 2.5 million Hispanics. More than New Orleans and Atlanta metros combined. Heck more than the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia combined. I don't even think they have 750,000 Hispanics combined. There is a major difference when you count that. Also, Houston's demographics today are indeed different than what they were in the early part of the 20th century. But this isn't much different than the rest of the South as a whole. Even Miami was mostly Black and white up until the 1960s. Their demographics was very much in line with the rest of the South.

BTW, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Or...792365!6m1!1e1

Doesn't look that much different from some areas in the Deep South as well, no?

Old 05-21-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wasn't focusing on just the Hispanic population but if one must mention that, Atlanta and NO may have parts becoming predominantly Hispanic. But the Houston metro has over 2.5 million Hispanics. More than New Orleans and Atlanta metros combined. Heck more than the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia combined. I don't even think they have 750,000 Hispanics combined. There is a major difference when you count that. Also, Houston's demographics today are indeed different than what they were in the early part of the 20th century. But this isn't much different than the rest of the South as a whole. Even Miami was mostly Black and white up until the 1960s. Their demographics was very much in line with the rest of the South.

BTW, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Orlando,+FL/@28.5388359,-81.4184974,3a,75y,131.37h,90.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJkKovlpaYXsx2e7vgNfCvA!2e0!6s% 2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJkKovlpaYXsx2 e7vgNfCvA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_ sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26y aw%3D7.5%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x88 e773d8fecdbc77:0xac3b2063ca5bf9e!8m2!3d28.5383355! 4d-81.3792365!6m1!1e1

Doesn't look that much different from some areas in the Deep South as well, no?
Looks like suburban New Orleans, to me.

I'm not saying that Houston doesn't possess any qualities that are atypical of the Deep South. I'm saying all the makings of a Deep South city are in Houston, along with all the other things that make the city unique. Just like New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.