Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Largest city and economy. I would guess it get's the most southern migrants of any southern city. I'd also bet it gets the most SEC graduates to live there. It embodies the urban south, it's the south at it's best and grandest. It's the south's anchor. Not Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando, or Charlotte. It's very clearly Atlanta, as Chicago is the capitol of the midwest, NYC the northeast, Denver the mountain west. I think it's harder to identify the west coast capitol.
Incorrect.

Most populous southern city is Houston. If your the metro lover, than it's Dallas-Ft Worth. Also, It's Dallas-Ft Worth economic wise too.

Your doing alot of guessing in regards to the other ambiguous qualities that add to the appeal of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:18 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Largest city and economy. I would guess it get's the most southern migrants of any southern city. I'd also bet it gets the most SEC graduates to live there. It embodies the urban south, it's the south at it's best and grandest. It's the south's anchor. Not Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando, or Charlotte. It's very clearly Atlanta, as Chicago is the capitol of the midwest, NYC the northeast, Denver the mountain west. I think it's harder to identify the west coast capitol.
The west coast capital is literally the only possible city. Los Angeles.
I certainly wouldn't call Atlanta the south's anchor though.

Houston and Dallas are larger with far larger economies. Texas cities certainly have Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas in its grasp.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:01 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Incorrect.

Most populous southern city is Houston. If your the metro lover, than it's Dallas-Ft Worth. Also, It's Dallas-Ft Worth economic wise too.

Your doing alot of guessing in regards to the other ambiguous qualities that add to the appeal of Atlanta.
While southern, to me Texas is it's own beast. Would Atlanta or Houston pop to the top of a person from Birmingham, Tupelo or Knoxville's head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The west coast capital is literally the only possible city. Los Angeles.
I certainly wouldn't call Atlanta the south's anchor though.

Houston and Dallas are larger with far larger economies. Texas cities certainly have Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Arkansas in its grasp.
Possibly on LA. SF has a strong presence.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:19 AM

515 posts, read 252,805 times
I think the South's capitol is ATL because while both the Metroplex and Houston are bigger, they are both Southern but not Southern to the core like ATL is, because of Texas' blend of culture. Atlanta is the embodiment of Southern culture IMO. Miami is big too but also blends the Southern culture with Latin American and Caribbean influences. Also, DFW, Houston, and Miami are all on the edges of the Southeast. Atlanta is in the middle of the region. So in conclusion I'd say Atlanta is the capital of the South, with Dallas, Houston, and Miami having a sphere of influence in their areas of the South.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:27 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Dumb question, maybe, and maybe it's already been addressed, but I've always thought of Kentucky as a Southern State. I know this thread is about the states that comprise the "Deep South," but other states further north have been mentioned. Why not Kentucky?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:32 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Dumb question, maybe, and maybe it's already been addressed, but I've always thought of Kentucky as a Southern State. I know this thread is about the states that comprise the "Deep South," but other states further north have been mentioned. Why not Kentucky?
As it falls below the Mason-Dixon line (which was the original demarcation between the North and South), I would agree.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
Culturally, Atlanta is the anchor of the South. Especially when you think about Atlanta's contribution to the arts and hip-hop for the Southern region although I do have to say that Houston is a close second and is very significant. Memphis, Nashville, and Clarksdale MS are up there as well if you look at it through a cultural and especially musical standpoint.

The problem with terms like Deep South, Upper South, Lower Midwest is that they are not neatly packaged within state borders.

On the topic at hand:

Starting from west to east I would say East Texas. I wonder if you start to see that Southwest versus Southeast line somewhere in the DFW metro. Anyone who is familiar with that area I would love to see them comment on if that occurs and where. I would say from Waco to Bryan/College Station to Bay City and points east would fit in the Deep South. I would also throw in the southeastern corner of Oklahoma into this as well.

Moving eastward, I would include all of Louisiana the melting pot between Deep South culture and old French culture to make a very unique state. I would include any low-elevation county of Arkansas as Deep South. The Ozarks and Ouachita ranges of Western and Northern Arkansas are strictly Upper-South and are more similar to Kentucky and Southern Missouri.

Moving further east I would include anyone in Southwest Tennessee Deep South as long as they are both west of Jackson and south of Jackson. I consider Jackson to be the Deep South/Upper South boundary of West Tennessee.

I would include all of Mississippi as Deep South and most of Alabama minus Huntsville metro and the NE part of the state. Those areas are culturally again similar to East Tennessee, Kentucky, and Southern Missouri.

The line separating the Deep South and the Upper South in Georgia is pretty much the Rome to Cumming to Gainesville line. Florida is Deep South but you lose southern culture somewhere between Orlando and Gainesville.

South Carolina upstate including Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson would be more Upper South but once you get down towards Saluda and Columbia and Edgefield you are in the Deep South. South Carolina's low country is 100% pure Deep South. One can make an argument that a large section of Eastern North Carolina is in the Deep South. I can probably agree with that. To be honest, Charlotte is right on the Upper South/Deep South line.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:01 AM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
While southern, to me Texas is it's own beast. Would Atlanta or Houston pop to the top of a person from Birmingham, Tupelo or Knoxville's head?
Or Memphis, Nashville, Dallas.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
I think the South's capitol is ATL because while both the Metroplex and Houston are bigger, they are both Southern but not Southern to the core like ATL is, because of Texas' blend of culture. Atlanta is the embodiment of Southern culture IMO. Miami is big too but also blends the Southern culture with Latin American and Caribbean influences. Also, DFW, Houston, and Miami are all on the edges of the Southeast. Atlanta is in the middle of the region. So in conclusion I'd say Atlanta is the capital of the South, with Dallas, Houston, and Miami having a sphere of influence in their areas of the South.
This goes back to what I said in a long thread on here over a decade ago in that Atlanta is the center of the South, not the capital. Atlanta is the largest city surrounded by the rest of the South for hundred of miles. Houston, Dallas, and Miami are not. They reach into areas that are questionable especially considering isn’t in the Southeast and South Florida has as much influence from South America and the Caribbean as it does with the southeast. A capital basically means Atlanta is THEE city of the entire South. From economic, to social, political, influence, growth, etc with very little competition. I don’t think the South as a whole has a city like that yet and likely never will.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:16 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Culturally, Atlanta is the anchor of the South. Especially when you think about Atlanta's contribution to the arts and hip-hop for the Southern region although I do have to say that Houston is a close second and is very significant. Memphis, Nashville, and Clarksdale MS are up there as well if you look at it through a cultural and especially musical standpoint.

The problem with terms like Deep South, Upper South, Lower Midwest is that they are not neatly packaged within state borders.

On the topic at hand:

Starting from west to east I would say East Texas. I wonder if you start to see that Southwest versus Southeast line somewhere in the DFW metro. Anyone who is familiar with that area I would love to see them comment on if that occurs and where. I would say from Waco to Bryan/College Station to Bay City and points east would fit in the Deep South. I would also throw in the southeastern corner of Oklahoma into this as well.
I would not consider Waco as Deep South. I would barely consider college station as Deep South. You do have an argument for Lufkin, Nacogdoches, Tyler, Longview, and Marshall. The real deep East Texas. Southeast Texas is different from East Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.