Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times

Advertisements

the only regions of the country that i recongize is each of the 50 states individually, and the region known as the United States. SC does not have any kind of pact with GA, LA, MS, AL, we are a sovereign state. The local interests that LA, MS have are very different than local interests in SC.

a temporary alliance with these other states in the Civil War doesn't not mean we are bound to them forever. Our relationship with LA, MS, etc is no diferent than our relatonsip with Idaho, NY, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 02:45 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
the only regions of the country that i recongize is each of the 50 states individually, and the region known as the United States. SC does not have any kind of pact with GA, LA, MS, AL, we are a sovereign state. The local interests that LA, MS have are very different than local interests in SC.

a temporary alliance with these other states in the Civil War doesn't not mean we are bound to them forever. Our relationship with LA, MS, etc is no diferent than our relatonsip with Idaho, NY, etc.
That's true; however when it comes to cultural trends, climatic similarities and geographical regions SC is more in line with Alabama and Georgia and Arkansas than it ever will be with Oregon, Vermont or Hawaii.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
i actually live in SC and the south though. it seems like you and others talk about southerners like you are anthropologists and we are animals in a zoo. we have opinions too.

i hear you and others talkin a lot about southern accents but given there are so many trnasplants here, there is no one accent and people from NJ, etc don't have a southern accent to say the least.
What's your point? That South Carolina no longer has Southern accents? That's a load of crap. And they speak in a matter more similar to the Deep South than Upper South. Charleston, SC has more in common with Savannah, GA than anywhere in North Carolina.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:

THAT is a stretch if I've ever heard one. South Carolina is Southern just like those other states and has virtually the same culture, linguistics, and demographics. South Carolina is much more tied to the states of the South than anywhere else in the country. It isn't even remotely like Idaho or New York. Your views are strange and incorrect.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:34 PM

where is the cajun culture in SC? LA has parishes, we have counties. we don't have Mardi gras, they do. i could go on and on.

Wilmington NC is as similar to Charleston as Savannah.

Accents in SC, NC, and VA are similar. People in LA talk a good bit different.

Your capilization of Deep South and Upper South makes no sense because there is no formal pact between the states or central government or spokesperson for the states. If you look online, you won't find any official Deep South website that has the states you say are 'Deep South'.

SC is simply one of several states in the southern part of USA. there is no logical reason to classify it in a region and group it with other states.

The center of SC, Columbia, is twice as far from Baton Rouge as Richmond.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-22-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2016, 04:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
where is the cajun culture in SC? LA has parishes, we have counties. we don't have Mardi gras, they do. i could go on and on.

Wilmington NC is as similar to Charleston as Savannah.

Accents in SC, NC, and VA are similar. People in LA talk a good bit different.

Your capilization of Deep South and Upper South makes no sense because there is no formal pact between the states or central government or spokesperson for the states. If you look online, you won't find any official Deep South website that has the states you say are 'Deep South'.

SC is simply one of several states in the southern part of USA. there is no logical reason to classify it in a region and group it with other states.

The center of SC, Columbia, is twice as far from Baton Rouge as Richmond.

You are way off on the bold.

Richmond to Baton Rouge is 1058 miles

Columbia to Baton Rouge is 733 miles Columbia is 325 miles closer to Baton Rouge than Richmond.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:27 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
That's the thing though, is "Deep South" such a term in which it relates to a certain demographic? can Hispanics not be apart of the Deep South? Honestly, I feel like the term is all over the place. I have family members mixed with Mexican that stay in Dallas, and truthfully they're more country than the people I've met in Alabama and Georgia.
They could but they make up a very small population and presence of the Deep South. The Deep South is basically been a Black and White populated combined culture for pretty much centuries. The Hispanic element brings a different dynamic that is pretty much foreign to most of the Deep South. If one could say Hispanics are included, why do people not bring up Orlando and Tampa as much then? You have plenty of areas in these two cities that look exactly like they are outposts of the Panhandle and South Georgia.

This is Tampa.
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0241...8i6656!6m1!1e1

BTW, when I see that link, I laugh at people saying peninsula Florida isn't Southern. Orlando has areas just like this. Even South Florida but not to the extent of Central Florida.

As for the next point you made. I agree to an extent. Birmingham, like Atlanta started building up their cores before Houston did. While much of that is still in tact near their core, the majority of the city itself as well as the metro does not look like that. Especially Birmingham. I've heard arguments on this forum that Atlanta is not part of the Deep South being that it is in North Georgia or what begins as North Georgia and is different from the rest of Georgia below Atlanta. Don't know how true that is but maybe somebody in Georgia could chime in on that. When it comes to Birmingham and Houston, like I said, Birmingham built up their core before Houston did. Houston didn't really do anything until the beginning of the 20th century. Up until the 1930 census, Birmingham (and Atlanta) was the bigger city. But once you get away from the core, Birmingham becomes less dense and more sparse with homes set way back from the street. It gives off that feel of Deep South more than Houston does. Houston matches Gulf Coast Southern with Texas frontier Southern.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
[/b]

You are way off on the bold.

Richmond to Baton Rouge is 1058 miles

Columbia to Baton Rouge is 733 miles Columbia is 325 miles closer to Baton Rouge than Richmond.
COlumbia is 372 miles to Richmond, 730 to Baton Rouge, per google maps.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:00 PM

given both Va and NC coastal areas ere part of the black belt, it is odd that people would not include them in the Deep South if SC is also included. That is why i say people split the Carolinas up based on NC being viewed as more liberal than SC.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:12 PM

Columbia is half the distance to richmond than baton rouge, it take 5 hours longer to get to BR from Columbia.

My point is it make no sense to lump SC with LA if SC is half the distance to VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.