Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times

Advertisements

All three cities are pretty good options. Sadly the best advice I can give you is to take a trip to each and see which one you like most. If you're into sporting events, concerts, and festivals, then both ATL and DFW would have a leg up on Nashville. The good new is that when you move to any one of these cities you can throw away that snow shovel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Do you want to live in a large city or a mid sized city? Deciding that could help you rule in/out Nashville.

Nashville has tons of entertainment. It's a very creative city and there is something fun happening every day. Even though we are a mid sized city, we get a lot of big events, NHL All Star game, SEC tournament, etc
Plus tons of cool music events, including famous people spontaneously singing at a local bar, the All for the Hall concert, etc.

Atlanta and Dallas obviously have pretty much everything Nashville has and more. But one thing I like about Nashville is that everything seems so accessible and easy. I think that's just the difference between a big city and a mid sized city.

TN has no income tax. And property taxes are lower in Nashville than Dallas or Atlanta (but that won't help you if you rent). Rent is high in Nashville now. I think you could find more in your budget in Dallas or Atlanta.

And if you want a good public transportatiin system, Nashville would not be a good choice.

All 3 are good cities. I would start by narrowing down what size city you prefer and then work from there.
This is good advice. I just want to add that Texas also has no income tax. Something to consider.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
All three cities are pretty good options. Sadly the best advice I can give you is to take a trip to each and see which one you like most. If you're into sporting events, concerts, and festivals, then both ATL and DFW would have a leg up on Nashville. The good new is that when you move to any one of these cities you can throw away that snow shovel.
There it is in a nutshell. Any of these cities can offer the OP a good experience. I would focus on opportunities rather than these respective cities.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:18 PM

65 posts, read 142,235 times
I've lived in ATLANTA and now Nashville...Nashville is getting bad but the A is a whole different level of traffic hell!

And as for being a cute shy girl like one poster mentioned? If this is a dating analogy, then I found the cute shy girl and got her out of there (my wife!).

I found many people in the Buckhead area especially to be snobby, WAY too image-conscious, and the place has NO heart or soul to it.

If you want a friendlier, true up and coming city that is diverse but is still in the Deep South, pick the "IT City".

If you want an overcrowded, overrated, overly self-important place that feels more like a rat race that you might find in the NE US, you can make Atlanta work.

To illustrate, talking to friends: when we lived in ATL..."man the traffic!"...

When moving to Nashville: "that's a cool place, when can I come visit?"...

Dallas I've heard is similar to ATLANTA but may be better laid out like some here have said...good luck!

Sorry if I sounded biased here but we specifically chose Nashville to escape Atlanta and in 4 years have NOT been disappointed!

Last edited by maverick92170; 06-11-2016 at 05:27 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 AM

450 posts, read 1,202,844 times
I have definitely taken Atlanta off. I went down to Nashville but only stayed 2 days I didn't get a chance to see much. But they do have a vibrant night life 4 people under 30. I am hoping to go back next week.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydunn View Post
I have definitely taken Atlanta off.
Any particular reason(s)?

Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 AM

345 posts, read 530,339 times
Both of these three cities are great. anyway lemme rate them..

Economy/Growth: All three are growing fast. Nashville got the "it" city status. Atlanta is building everywhere and so is dallas with its huge suburbs. You'll be able to find a career in any of these cities.

Shopping: Dallas, Atlanta...Nashville. Dallas and ATL are bigger cities so more shopping options.

Scenery/ Topography: Nashville..Atlanta.....Dallas. Nashville is a real pretty city. Tons of parks and outdoor activities to do. Same with Atlanta, but personally it's not as pretty as nashville. ATL has its gems tho (most trees of any city in the US, stone mountain, etc.) Dallas (scenery-wise) is not a pretty city. The skyline at night is unmatched tho.

Education: K-12: Dallas..Atlanta.....Nashville. Higher Education: Nashville....Atlanta........Dallas. Known as the Athens of the South, Nashville is packed with colleges, and of course one of the best schools in the nation, vandy. It's lacking in k-12 tho. Atlanta is right in the middle, good colleges and good schools. Dallas has the best k-12 out the three, but its lacking in colleges. I know you dont have kids just wanted to point it out lol.

Weather: All three got good weather. 4 seasons can be expected.

Sports: Dallas...Atlanta, Nashville. Dallas has a team in every sport. NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB, MLS, and WNBA. good sports town. Atlanta has three (lost it's nhl, but its getting an mls team) Also has the colleges and a $EC school is 70 minutes away. Nashville got NHL,NFL, Triple A baseball, and may be getting an MLS team soon. Also, $EC school nearby (Vandy)

COL/QOL: All three of good, Nashville is rising up because of its explosive growth but in the right parts, all three are affordable and have good QOL.

Things to do: Atlanta, Dallas....Nashville. Atl and dallas are major cities so they both have tons of stuff to do. Nashville is a coming up city but it still has lots to do.

Nightlife: ATL...Dallas, nashville: Personally, ATL is great in this regard. Dallas is good too and so is nashville.

For social life, you won't have trouble making friends in any.

Last edited by JMT; 09-04-2016 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic, not other posters.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:28 AM

^Agree with all of that pretty much, except I think Atlanta takes it for higher ed. Nashville has one top tier school (Vandy) whereas Atlanta has two (Emory, GA Tech). Nashville has Fisk, TSU, and Meharry while Atlanta has the AUC (Spelman, Morehouse, Clark, Morehouse SOM). But pound for pound, Nashville performs a lot better than most metros its size in the higher ed department whereas Dallas is something of a laggard there.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd rank Nashville last for nightlife as that is one of its strengths.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:54 PM

345 posts, read 530,339 times
^Yeah Atlanta got lots of good schools, but Nashville performs exceptionally for it's size, that's why I put it first.

And what place should I have put Nashville in? I had a blast in Nashville, but Dallas and ATL are bigger cities , so you know ?

Old 09-04-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
^Yeah Atlanta got lots of good schools, but Nashville performs exceptionally for it's size, that's why I put it first.

And what place should I have put Nashville in? I had a blast in Nashville, but Dallas and ATL are bigger cities , so you know ?
Well I mean if you want to be consistent, you'd use the same reasoning behind why you put Nashville first for higher ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.