Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times

Advertisements

- Nobody knows anything about Delaware, Rhode Island, or Maine it seems.
- Kentucky and Indiana would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for the Derby (Kentucky only) and college basketball.
- North Dakota would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for the oil around Williston.
- Wyoming would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for Dick Cheney and Yellowstone.
- Arkansas is would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for Walmart, Tyson Chicken, Johnny Cash, Sam Walton, and key political figures (Bill, Hillary, and Huckabee). That said, it's a wonder why Arkansas is actually, generally forgotten about considering what that state has produced.
- You could also make a case for Illinois sans Chicago. More people know about Iowa (caucuses and Ashton Kutcher) and South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore and Black Hills) than downstate Illinois, it seems.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
A lot of people don't even realize West Virginia is a state. I often hear "Oh you're from western Virginia, I've been to Roanoke".

Old 06-02-2016, 01:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
- Nobody knows anything about Delaware, Rhode Island, or Maine it seems.
- Kentucky and Indiana would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for the Derby (Kentucky only) and college basketball.
- North Dakota would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for the oil around Williston.
- Wyoming would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for Dick Cheney and Yellowstone.
- Arkansas is would be totally forgotten and not cared about if it weren't for Walmart, Tyson Chicken, Johnny Cash, Sam Walton, and key political figures (Bill, Hillary, and Huckabee). That said, it's a wonder why Arkansas is actually, generally forgotten about considering what that state has produced.
- You could also make a case for Illinois sans Chicago. More people know about Iowa (caucuses and Ashton Kutcher) and South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore and Black Hills) than downstate Illinois, it seems.
I disagree about all three above, in that nobody nationally knows anything. Delaware=Joe Biden, beaches, First State; Rhode Island=smallest state, Brown University, Family Guy; Maine=Stephen King, woods. I'd put all three in the same tier as North Dakota, Arkansas and Wyoming, with Rhode Island and Delaware in the upper part of that tier. No way Kentucky and Indiana are close to forgotten (bourbon, Indy 500, college basketball, etc.), though I agree that no one nationally knows anything about the state of Illinois outside of Chicago other than being Abraham Lincoln's home.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:51 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
New Hampshire

Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
A lot of people don't even realize West Virginia is a state. I often hear "Oh you're from western Virginia, I've been to Roanoke".
This wins the thread, IMO.

Even I forgot about WV, and I grew up in a neighboring state.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post

don't you mean North Virginia?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:23 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
New Mexico is not so much forgotten as not recognized as a state in the first place. Thousands, maybe millions, of Americans think it is part of Mexico. Another bunch think it is really Arizona ...can't distinguish between the two.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
New Mexico is not so much forgotten as not recognized as a state in the first place. Thousands, maybe millions, of Americans think it is part of Mexico. Another bunch think it is really Arizona ...can't distinguish between the two.
Yeah people who are bad at geography tend to mix us up.

To be fair I think Breaking Bad helped to fix that though. However now you guys are known for meth, lol

Old 06-03-2016, 11:11 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
How could anyone forget about Tennessee? It's the Chef's frying pan!

Chef's hat: Minnesota
Chef's face: Iowa
Chef's belly: Missouri
Chef's legs: Arkansas
Chef's boots: Louisiana
Chef's frying pan: Tennessee
Chef's chicken: Kentucky (It had to be chicken, ok? I mean KFC come on now)
Husband asked if I wanted the $5 special at KFC today. I asked for a pie. Since when is garlic a Southern food. Yuk. Won't be ordering that again.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:13 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I would say Delaware is the least known and from the pictures posted on Village chat it much be a beautiful place. Michigan is probably another out of the way place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.